• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SAN DIEGO COMIC FEST: Old-school comic con Oct. 19-21

25 posts in this topic

San Diego Comic Fest website

Here are some of the people who’ve joined together to create the San Diego Comic Fest:

Mike Towry, Organizer: Back in 1969, when he was a teenage San Diego comic dealer, Mike participated in the founding of Comic-Con. In 1972, for the first Comic-Con at the El Cortez Hotel, he served as Chairman. (You can read further details about the early days of Comic-Con here.) After the celebration for the 40th Comic-Con in 2009, he began to think it would be fun to have an old-school comic convention in San Diego. In the Fall of 2011, with the 40th anniversary of the first El Cortez Comic-Con coming up in the next year, he decided it was the right time to do it, so he started talking to some other Comic-Con old-timers about it, and the San Diego Comic Fest was born.

Barry Alfonso, Café Re-creationist: Barry Alfonso is a Grammy Award-nominated journalist and songwriter. His credits include researching and writing the liner notes to the Beat Generation box set, a collection of spoken word, music and other archival recordings from the beat era released by Rhino Records. His interviews with beat writers Allen Ginsberg and William S. Burroughs have been published in books by Hyperion/Rolling Stone Press and the University Press of Mississippi, respectively. Prior to that, way back in 1969, he helped to found the San Diego Comic-Con at the tender age of 12. (You can read more about Barry at http://www.barryalfonso.com/.)

Wendy All, Café Re-creationist: Award winning Toy Designer Wendy All (Mattel, Disney Consumer Products, Hasbro) uses her analytical talents to solve the mysteries of Café Frankenstein and recreate a full sized replica of it’s lost stained-glass window. As a teenager, Wendy was one of the first young women involved in the Comic-Con committee. The experience changed her career direction from that of Science to Design. Her avocation of Archaeology, through the UCLA Rock Art Archive at the Fowler Museum, has facilitated her research skills to bring this exciting project to Comic Fest. (You can visit Wendy’s web site at http://www.wendyall.com/.)

George Clayton Johnson, Inspiration and Storyteller in Residence: George is the author of the original “Ocean’s Eleven” story, memorable Twilight Zone episodes including the famed “Kick the Can,” the first televised episode of Star Trek, Logan’s Run (with co-author William Nolan), and numerous other works. In the late fifties, he was co-owner of the notorious Laguna Beach coffee house Café Frankenstein. He has also been a frequent and much-beloved guest at Comic-Con since the days it was at the El Cortez. George’s frequent words extolling the virtues of the fondly-remembered El Cortez Comic-Cons were a real source of inspiration for us to create the San Diego Comic Fest. It was also a great day for the Fest when George gave his blessing to a reprising of Café Frankenstein as an in-con coffee house and agreed to participate as Storyteller in Residence. (You can read more about George at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clayton_Johnson.)

Bob Sourk, Advisor: Bob was Comic-Con’s first Chairman and served in that role through the first event, the March, 1970 San Diego Golden State Comic-Minicon. Bob knows what it was like in the beginning and has generously agreed to serve as advisor to the Fest. He will also be appearing at the Fest, his first time back at a San Diego con in decades.

Michael D. Hamersky, Social Media Promoter: Michael is a comic book and collectibles online reseller with a popular eBay store. He is a long-time comic book collector and Internet sales manager. His online Comic Book Collectors Blog is the #1 comics blog on Facebook. He blogs on the comic book industry, pop culture and comic book personalities and events. His store specializes in Marvel and DC super-heroes, horror genre, hard-to-find niche titles as well as up-and-coming collectible books of the modern age. A long-time San Diego resident, Michael began collecting comic books as a child, first in San Diego and later in Alaska, where he lived on the Navy base in Kodiak for several years. He financed university studies by trading in comic books at the San Diego Comic Con as early as 1972, when the convention was still named the San Diego West Coast Comic Con. Educated and trained in accounting, Michael holds to a high standard of grading comic books. He has written informative articles on the subject, viewable at his blogs, which are especially helpful to the novice collector. He personally grades his entire inventory of items for sale at Make It So Marketing’s eBay store. He adheres to a conservative system of grading which has gained him 100% positive feedback from his eBay customers. (Please visit Michael’s web site at http://www.facebook.com/michaeldhamersky.oncomics.)

Mark Stadler, Program Coordinator: Mark Stadler’s first San Diego Comic-Con was in 1972, when the con was held at the El Cortez for the first time. Mark joined the Comic-Con committee in 1979, when attendance was numbered in the low four digits, not six, and the organizers were overjoyed when someone – anyone – from the news media showed up to cover the event. Mark served in a variety of positions over the next 15 years, including board secretary, films coordinator, publications editor and publicity coordinator. This was the period when Comic-Con began growing into the international pop culture phenomenon that it is today. These days, Mark and his wife, Kim, attend Comic-Con every year with their sons, 15-year-old Tyler and 13-year-old Eric. Both boys were introduced to Comic-Con while still in their strollers and their enthusiasm for the convention is awe-inspiring. In his secret identity, Mark is a water wonk for the San Diego County Water Authority.

Richard Alf, Advisor in Memoriam: Richard was, of course, the first person Mike talked to about the San Diego Comic Fest, and he agreed to serve as advisor for it. However, tragically, Richard passed away in January, 2012. Nonetheless, we will keep his vision of an open, friendly, inclusive event in mind at all times to guide us. (You can read more about Richard here.)

You, the devoted fan: The San Diego Comic Fest is your con, it’s all about you and the things you love. You’re part of the “us” in “about us.” It’s not just a show that someone else is putting on for which you will be a mere spectator. Everyone at the Fest will have a share in making it a truly memorable experience.

I'm really looking forward to this. I saw Mike Towry at Wonder-Con and he told me about it, so I bought a ticket as soon as they went on sale.

I went to the very first SDCC in March '70.

Cool. Then this will really be an experience for you: being at the first shows of what will & have become many more. :applause:

I'm looking forward to this as well. I went to the first Loma-Linda con that Terry Oneal put on, and that was a return to an old-school comic con to. I have full faith this one will be well organized and a blast to be at. (thumbs u

I emailed the folks at the convention two days ago asking what hours the show will be each day, but haven't heard back from them.

I'll try to gather some information for you. One of the guys responsible for this con came by the Socal Comics booth during the SD Con. His promoter will be talking with Jamie and giving him information concerning the show. (thumbs u

Is this the one Rey and Joel Elad are promoting? I am looking for a new con to go to,SDCC is just too much for me anymore.I just want to deal with comics,and San Diego is too much fluff.

Oakman getting tired of all the hoopla.

Is this the one Rey and Joel Elad are promoting? I am looking for a new con to go to,SDCC is just too much for me anymore.I just want to deal with comics,and San Diego is too much fluff.

No, Joel and Rey's show is the So Cal Comic Con.

http://www.socalcomiccon.com/

No, Joel and Rey's show is the So Cal Comic Con.

http://www.socalcomiccon.com/

Thanks. (thumbs u