• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Indents? Depression marks?

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a few books that have slight depression marks such as wide "lines" that are only visible when viewed from a certain angle. I also have a Wolverine #1 (1982) that has a slight indent in the middle of the "o" in "Wolverine".

They don't break color and can barely be seen. How does this influence grading, if at all?

Thanks for your help.

-Paul

The defects you describe most certainly do affect the final grade. How much the impact on grade depends on how many & how noticeable. These are the kinds of defects that respond well to pressing. I have seen and pressed many books with the defects that you describe in the 8.0-9.2 range that after pressing grade 9.4-9.8.

IF you are thinking about having such books professionally graded and encapsulated then they are probably worth the cost of having them pressed. Those of us who press books typically offer the CGC 20% dealer discount on grading services which offsets much of the cost of pressing.

I was about to ask the same thing. I have a number books that look 9.2 to 9.6 except they have a number of small round indentations (non color breaking) on the front and back cover that are only obvious when viewed at just the right angle. Do these respond as well as lines. Any idea what causes them? I had set them aside, as I was worried CGC would knock them down because of this.

The defects you describe most certainly do affect the final grade. How much the impact on grade depends on how many & how noticeable. These are the kinds of defects that respond well to pressing. I have seen and pressed many books with the defects that you describe in the 8.0-9.2 range that after pressing grade 9.4-9.8.

IF you are thinking about having such books professionally graded and encapsulated then they are probably worth the cost of having them pressed. Those of us who press books typically offer the CGC 20% dealer discount on grading services which offsets much of the cost of pressing.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the 20% dealer discount; I'll definitely look into it in the future.

-Paul

I was about to ask the same thing. I have a number books that look 9.2 to 9.6 except they have a number of small round indentations (non color breaking) on the front and back cover that are only obvious when viewed at just the right angle. Do these respond as well as lines. Any idea what causes them? I had set them aside, as I was worried CGC would knock them down because of this.

To me, those round indentations could be from finger pressure. Perhaps from carrying a stack of those issues and pressing down with their thumbs?

Just a guess.

I was about to ask the same thing. I have a number books that look 9.2 to 9.6 except they have a number of small round indentations (non color breaking) on the front and back cover that are only obvious when viewed at just the right angle. Do these respond as well as lines. Any idea what causes them? I had set them aside, as I was worried CGC would knock them down because of this. [/quote

Yes, these indentations respond to pressing just as well as bends No idea what causes them. Finger pressure is certainly possible as someone else suggested. And yes, CGC will grade them down as a defect if the book is otherwise very high grade.

What about indentations on books with thicker covers? I have a beautifully copy of the Harley Quinn one shot but its previous owner stored it next to something hard (?) and it made a series of small indentations that all together are about the size of a quarter. Can those be pressed out?

What about indentations on books with thicker covers? I have a beautifully copy of the Harley Quinn one shot but its previous owner stored it next to something hard (?) and it made a series of small indentations that all together are about the size of a quarter. Can those be pressed out?

I'm not familiar with the comic book you mention But I've pressed graphic novels that have stiffer covers and I've pressed original art which is on art board. If the indentions do not break color most likely they could be pressed out.

I'm always interested in a challenge if you want to PM me.

To me, those round indentations could be from finger pressure. Perhaps from carrying a stack of those issues and pressing down with their thumbs?

Just a guess.

Could be from handling if these books were in a box and carried from show to show. It is paper afterall and anything can happen. Splits, dents, waves, creases, etc. Any defect in a book will affect the final grade. Even a minor crease or dent. In some cases that may be the difference between a 9.4/9.6 and a 9.8.

As long as they do not break color, and there are no finger prints associated with the dent you should be able to improve the book with a proper pressing. On a book like that you really need to look it over well, since it is only worth doing if it comes back a 9.8. You could probably pick up a nice 9.6 for the price investment you would be making in pressing, grading, shipping and insurance.