• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld

117 posts in this topic

An oldie but goodie

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

But i still kinda like his art. I like his clean and detailed pencils. If he had taken some classes on drawing feet and human anatomy he would have been so much better.

Thats some funny mess right there! lol

That guys commentaries are pure gold! (worship)

He could have had a go drawing Leprechauns. The only lifeform able to properly walk upright with his anatomically impossible feet.

Maybe Smurfs too. Cut toe shoes could have been his trademark.

Instead:

cap.jpeg

That is so horrible, I'd like to see what is behind the shield to see if his lower body is as deformed as his upper body is or if he has tiny legs (and, of course, no feet) supporting that bulk.

I thought it was a New Mutants Annual.

This is from his Wiki, Doubting Thomas.

In 1986, Liefeld illustrated a pin-up page included in Boris the Bear #6.

In 1988, at the age of 20, he completed his first significant published work for DC Comics' in Warlord #131 and Secret Origins #28. This was quickly followed by the Hawk and Dove limited series by Barbara and Karl Kesel,[4] who also provided inks.

In 1986, Liefeld illustrated a pin-up page included in Boris the Bear #6.

In 1988, at the age of 20, he completed his first significant published work for DC Comics' in Warlord #131 and Secret Origins #28. This was quickly followed by the Hawk and Dove limited series by Barbara and Karl Kesel, who also provided inks. Liefeld's layouts were oriented sideways in story pages taking place in a chaos dimension, so that a reader would have to turn the comic book at a right angle to read them. Because this was done without editorial input, editor Mike Carlin cut and pasted the panels into the proper order, and Kesel lightboxed them onto DC comics paper to ink them. The letters column of Hawk and Dove #5 mentions that Liefeld "showed something new to an editor who thought he’d seen everything." In his defense, Liefeld offered that that was how the dimension had been drawn the only other time it had been featured in the book, although Karl Kesel claims this is untrue.

In 1989, Liefeld moved to Marvel where he became the penciller for The New Mutants, starting with issue #86. He is generally credited for turning this lowest-selling title of the X-franchise into a financial success.

How can you be right when Boris the Bear is his first work? :makepoint:

I'm more impressed that we were independently wikkiing at the same exact moment (huge nerd).

I can already taste that delicious diet cherry coke.

I'm more impressed that we were independently wikkiing at the same exact moment (huge nerd).

Dude asked big break, not first work. He did two fill-ins for DC and then they gave him a 5 issue mini. Which was pretty hot for a while and got his name out there.

Embrace my rightness.

Dude asked big break, not first work. He did two fill-ins for DC and then they gave him a 5 issue mini. Which was pretty hot for a while and got his name out there.

Embrace my rightness.

This is me rolling my eyes at you over the nebulous term "big break".

This is me acknowledging your "rightness".

This is me still claiming my coke cause we posted the same exact thing within the same minute. :acclaim:

You may have won, but I'll be getting a coke.

HUZZAH!!!!

Who gave Liefeld his big break anyway?

Pretty sure it was the Hawk and Dove miniseries for DC.

If you consider working for the big two the big break you're probably right. I do know that before the DC job came up he was offered a spot at First Comics. Their last art director was a teacher of mine and he's the one who offered Liefeld the work.

First Comics. :cloud9:

Knowing Leifeld never worked for First Comics. :cloud9::cloud9:

Interesting side note: my teacher told me how he was a major factor in them going bankrupt. Apparently he pushed bigtime to get the license for Classics Illustrated and it flopped....the rest is history :(

First Comics began at the early-'80's peak of my original owner collection comic book buying days.

Nothing was sweeter than a comic book during those months just before the onset of puberty.

First Comics :cloud9:

American Flagg! :headbang:

First Comics. :cloud9:

Knowing Leifeld never worked for First Comics. :cloud9::cloud9:

Interesting side note: my teacher told me how he was a major factor in them going bankrupt. Apparently he pushed bigtime to get the license for Classics Illustrated and it flopped....the rest is history :(

Did he have a personal or professional relationship with the company?

I don't recall him doing any work for them.