• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld

117 posts in this topic

Oh, I've misunderstood that all this time.

I'm still looking for a lot on ebay to read.

And I never really cared for Dreadstar. :sorry:

11/05/11 in our PM:

Two quick notes while I wait to begin my debauch.

Nexus: never read it but always enjoyed the look of the character. I'm intrigued for the first time.

American Flagg. I still have my original run of perhaps 25 early issues. I really loved it as a teen. I have never considered revisiting it. If I could find it in an Omnibus type format, I'd give it serious consideration today.

:applause: for finding our convo.

:o for posting a PM convo.

Is this Fuelman approved?

The only personal info published was about me getting drunk.

Wait, you drink?

NewYork10-09068.jpg

Oh, I've misunderstood that all this time.

I'm still looking for a lot on ebay to read.

And I never really cared for Dreadstar. :sorry:

11/05/11 in our PM:

Two quick notes while I wait to begin my debauch.

Nexus: never read it but always enjoyed the look of the character. I'm intrigued for the first time.

American Flagg. I still have my original run of perhaps 25 early issues. I really loved it as a teen. I have never considered revisiting it. If I could find it in an Omnibus type format, I'd give it serious consideration today.

:applause: for finding our convo.

:o for posting a PM convo.

Is this Fuelman approved?

The only personal info published was about me getting drunk.

Wait, you drink?

NewYork10-09068.jpg

396.jpg

I'm not a fan of his work at all, but I think he's a nice guy. I also think he unfairly gets all the criticism for garbage comics when there were plenty at that time and plenty today. Some artists whose work is indistinguishable from his in my eyes get zero criticism, and may even have people seeking out and collecting their work.

I was recommended Anita Blake by several people. I got the trade cheap and started reading. About a dozen pages in I had to flip back to the cover to make sure it wasn't a Liefeld book. Artwork was absolutely identical. It was horrid. Why is that guy not a laughing stock among comic fans?

I'm not a fan of his work at all, but I think he's a nice guy. I also think he unfairly gets all the criticism for garbage comics when there were plenty at that time and plenty today. Some artists whose work is indistinguishable from his in my eyes get zero criticism, and may even have people seeking out and collecting their work.

I was recommended Anita Blake by several people. I got the trade cheap and started reading. About a dozen pages in I had to flip back to the cover to make sure it wasn't a Liefeld book. Artwork was absolutely identical. It was horrid. Why is that guy not a laughing stock among comic fans?

Because they didn't do a Levi's commercial?

One other thing that I think angers people is that he clearly has talent but his work is lazy. Look at the website with his 40 worst drawings. The majority of the criticisms are due to being lazy (adding in guns after the figures were drawn, hiding everyone behind something because he can't draw feet, etc.)

Making the effort and sucking is a lot better than having the talent but half-azzing everything. At least that is what bothers me about Liefeld.

Because they didn't do a Levi's commercial?

One other thing that I think angers people is that he clearly has talent but his work is lazy. Look at the website with his 40 worst drawings. The majority of the criticisms are due to being lazy (adding in guns after the figures were drawn, hiding everyone behind something because he can't draw feet, etc.)

Making the effort and sucking is a lot better than having the talent but half-azzing everything. At least that is what bothers me about Liefeld.

Well, I just don't like that style of illustration even if he got his proportions right. The fact that his work is "lazy" might be a product of unrealistic deadlines. Not many monthly comics stand out to me quality wise, but I admit a good chunk of them stand out as better than they were when everything was sharp and shiny and skinny with big tits.

You in Charlotte already?

Tomorrow. And don't bring your camera if you're coming.

Dover's flying in from Europe tonight. He's picking me up at the airport early Friday morning.

All phones have cameras now & I carry two.

This was actually worth a read. The repeated propping up of Highlights Magazine definitely drove the point home. On a side note this is the first time that I ever saw the word "Em-effer" used in the same sentence as Highlights Magazine in an article.

The guy that gave us 40 worst Leifeld drawings gave us 40 more. Course, I guess you could argue Leifeld gave us 40 more.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/14/3084348/the-second-40-worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

This was a really fun read. I find it more enjoyable to look over the picture first and see if I can pick out which parts the author is going to point out for ridicule. Inevitably I miss something that is egregiously awful. Though I had little difficulty figuring out what the author would zero in on with drawing #16.

There is one strange thing about the 2012 list of 40 bad Rob Liefield drawings. His Bad Drawing #14 from the 2007 list is the same as his Bad Drawing #7 from the 2012 list. Why is that? Maybe it was so bad the author listed it twice?

The guy that gave us 40 worst Leifeld drawings gave us 40 more. Course, I guess you could argue Leifeld gave us 40 more.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/6/14/3084348/the-second-40-worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

This was a really fun read. I find it more enjoyable to look over the picture first and see if I can pick out which parts the author is going to point out for ridicule. Inevitably I miss something that is egregiously awful. Though I had little difficulty figuring out what the author would zero in on with drawing #16.

There is one strange thing about the 2012 list of 40 bad Rob Liefield drawings. His Bad Drawing #14 from the 2007 list is the same as his Bad Drawing #7 from the 2012 list. Why is that? Maybe it was so bad the author listed it twice?

You know what is funny is, as I read those lists, I become some something of a contrarian/apologist. There were multiple times when the author was ripping on Leifeld for something like, "not drawing the second leg at all" and I'm sitting there thinking, "...but I can SEE a second leg."

Sometimes, Leifeld bashers look too deeply for Leifeld flaws, and that guy is guilty of that. Not necessary really, as there's so much bad there to find fault with.

Another thing I find odd in this thread is all the love for Liefeld's personality- I've never met him, but have heard first hand horror stories about his legendary douchieness. I'm just processing all of this for now.

He could have had a go drawing Leprechauns. The only lifeform able to properly walk upright with his anatomically impossible feet.

Maybe Smurfs too. Cut toe shoes could have been his trademark.

Instead:

cap.jpeg

Cap looks butthurt here.