• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poor sad lost comic...

24 posts in this topic

So, after looking for a couple years online, at stores, and at cons, I found this little puppy on Ebay:

feature_26B.jpg

It was to have made a set with this one which I found a few years back:

feature_26A.jpg

I was very happy to have finally assembled a pair of the weird, elusive 1939 Feature Comics 26 half-issue variants. I got an attempted delivery notice on 6/12 and went to the PO on the 14th to pick it up, feeling a little like Percival.

Well, the PO can't find the package. 893frustrated.gif

The quote of the people at the PO is "Well, we know it's in the post office, we just don't know where." Delivery Confirmation states that it's waiting for me at the PO. I went back on the 17th in hopes that they might have located it and no dice. Today I filed a "Missing Parcel Complaint" which aparrently results in a Postal Inspector taking up the case. Hopefully, someone will eventually come across the package and get it into my hands. I contacted the seller to let them know of the situation and they said they'd be in touch if it bounces back to them. I'm not sure if I should be holding my breathe or not.

I'm sure that most of you can appreciate the frustration I'm feeling right now. It's not even a matter of the money I have in on the book (really not much), as it is the fact that I can't imagine when I'll come across another copy. No real point here except to vent. Anyone else been through this process with the USPS? Do I have any hope of ever seeing this comic or should I start looking for another copy?

I can't help you with your USPS problem, but congrats on (almost) completing that set! Those little buggers are extremely hard to find.

In fact, almost any of the standard Feature Comics from #20 to around #35 are very, very tough. I've been looking for a decent 27 for a long time, with no luck.

Fingers crossed on your post office problem....

Thanks for the support. Having seen some samples from your collection, if you say it's a tough book I'm going to believe you.

These are actually the only two copies of these issue I've ever seen. Anyone else out there have copies? Anyone have any info on exactly when and why these were produced? They are odd on so many levels.

I guess for the time being I'm going to focus on finding a solid copy of the regular #26 and keep my fingers crossed over the "26B"... I'm sorely tempted to sneak into the PO and do some looking around of my own. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That SUCKS!!!!!!

I'm really starting to not like the US Postal Service. About 8-12 years ago, they were as good as it got, but the leadership there has really declined, and the service has suffered.

I saw that book on Ebay and wondered what it was. I would be crawling through the stock in the back room if I were you. There's no way any of them are legitimately interested in finding your package. I can't imagine how frustrated you are. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Little update:

I actually got a call today from a real-life USPS Postal Inspector. He was calling to confirm some of the information I had provided when I made the lost parcel report. It's nice to know that there's actually someone looking for this thing. This doesn't mean it's not already festering in a land-fill somewhere 893whatthe.gif , but it does give me a little hope.

I will say that so far my dealings with the USPS employees have been very nice and very professional. They've done what they said they were going to do and called when they said they were going to call. Good people...

I mean aside from the one who lost my package! sumo.gif

After I originally sent an email to the seller informing them of the shipping problem, they replied saying that they would contact me if it was returned to them. Apparently that never happened.

Just sent an email pleasantly inquiring as to the status of my order. Based on the fact that I have not yet done a Paypal refund, it is still my comic, right? Or does the fact the the PO, f*cked-up cancel the original auction?

Would you guys chase this or immediately go for a Paypal refund?

After I originally sent an email to the seller informing them of the shipping problem, they replied saying that they would contact me if it was returned to them. Apparently that never happened.

Just sent an email pleasantly inquiring as to the status of my order. Based on the fact that I have not yet done a Paypal refund, it is still my comic, right? Or does the fact the the PO, f*cked-up cancel the original auction?

Would you guys chase this or immediately go for a Paypal refund?

File the refund request. That'll get the ball rolling. If he's trying to screw you, why would he send you back the book unless he has a chance of losing the $$. mad.gif

I'm looking at the two auctions again, and I'm actually not sure they are the same book... though the cover image seems to be the same.

There are two variants of this edition, each containing half of the regular #26. The contents listed on the one I won are different that the contents on the current auction. I believe that the one currently listed has the same contents as the "blue" version I have above, though the sellers copy may have a red cover. Strange.

Here's the auction I won on June 9th:

Feature 26B

Notice the different interior shots.

Hopefully I can sort all this out with the seller...

It's true that the cover images are indentical, but the interior shots and descriptions are not. Probably not a good idea for him to have re-used this image, but at this point I don't think it's the same book.

I confirmed that the contents in the one he currently has listed are the same as the contents of the "blue variant" I posted in the OP... which are different contents than the one I won on June 9th (that auction also included different interior shots than the one he currently has for sale).

This is getting way too complicated. 893frustrated.gifinsane.gifforeheadslap.gif

I emailed him again. We'll see if I hear back from him or if he just decides I'm nuts.

Just to be clear- It's not the same comic... He did re-use the cover scan (not good), but the current auction is for the other variant (meaning the other 1/2 issue of #26), which becomes clear if you read the description and look at the interior shots.

The seller sent me a nice email today in response to my three rambling emails of last night. Seems like this all wound up being a false alarm. Delivery Confirmation shows the package still sitting at the PO awaiting pick up... I'm tempted to go back to the Post Office today just to make them spend 1/2 hour looking for the thing! devil.gif

It actually would have been nice if the seller had been back in possession of the comic as I might have actually had a chance to get it. frown.gif

So, for once I can offer up a positive ending from a story like this...

Today, I received the comic in the mail. After over a month in "postal limbo", it got bounced back to the seller and he re-mailed it. Though I offered to provide additional shipping, he never even asked for it. This was completely the PO's screw-up and I can give a very positive recommendation for the ebay seller kyt.man. I don't think that he normally sells comics, but if he is in the future, rest assured that he will treat you fairly.

I see many negative stories about ebay comic sellers on these boards, but I think it's important to point out the positives as well. In my few years of ebay experience, for every scam artist out there, you can find two good sellers just trying to make an honest buck.

I'll post a scan tomorrow. I'm very happy to finally have a copy of this book in my possession!