• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IDW Artist's Edition SDCC Exclusives

23 posts in this topic

Hi folks, wanted to let you know early that the two SDCC Artist's Editions are now live at the IDW site for pre-order to be picked up at comic-con. We're sending out a full press release first thing in the morning for this and other great exclusives but I wanted to give some of the art lists the news a little early.

The first exclusive AE is the David Mazzucchelli Daredevil Born Again: Artist's Edition--it is limited to 250 copies, each with a bound in signature plate that is signed and numbered by Mazzucchelli. It also comes in a really spiffy slipcase. The other AE is the Sergio Aragones Groo the Wanderer: Artist's Edition--it is signed and numbered, limited to 250. Both have different covers than the regular ones.

If you go to the URL below it will take you to the Artist's Edition home page at the IDW on-line store.

https://shop.idwpublishing.com/art/artisteditions.html

All the best,

Scott

I got my Mazzucchelli one!

Is the Amanda Conner exclusive just a variant cover?

Any signing/sketching events planned around these books?

Amanda Conner book is just a different cover, no signature plate. Amanda will be doing some signings as well at the booth. Darwyn Cooke will be signing The Score at our booth a few times too.

Scott,

The following is not venom, I'm just concerned.

I'm frustrated with the announcement of special editions of the AE books. I've been pre-ordering the AE books from DCBS when they are solicited through Previews. Then these far superior special editions get announced. I feel like I'm being punished for pre-ordering the regular edition.

Please solicit or announce the special edition of an AE book at the same time as the regular edition.

Thanks.

Scott,

I'm frustrated with the announcement of special editions of the AE books. I've been pre-ordering the AE books from DCBS when they are solicited through Previews. Then these far superior special editions get announced. I feel like I'm being punished for pre-ordering the regular edition.

Please solicit or announce the special edition of an AE book at the same time as the regular edition.

Thanks.

I know what you mean. I now hesitate to pre-order as I want to know what the other options are. I have 4 of these on my shelf already and have the Mazz pre-ordered, but it has become a weird guessing game now. "Hmmm, Sergio is a likely candidate to draw a sketch (he could do 100/day I bet), so should I wait or buy? Wait or buy? Cake...or death?"

Also, no venom here. Just sayin'...it can get weird and a bit frustrating.

Scott,

Thanks.

I know what you mean. I now hesitate to pre-order as I want to know what the other options are. I have 4 of these on my shelf already and have the Mazz pre-ordered, but it has become a weird guessing game now. "Hmmm, Sergio is a likely candidate to draw a sketch (he could do 100/day I bet), so should I wait or buy? Wait or buy? Cake...or death?"

Also, no venom here. Just sayin'...it can get weird and a bit frustrating.

Okay, valid points, I see how it can be frustrating. We'll discuss it internally and see what we can come up with to get the word out earlier on special versions—fair enough?

Okay, valid points, I see how it can be frustrating. We'll discuss it internally and see what we can come up with to get the word out earlier on special versions—fair enough?

That is all I could ask for. Always excellent customer service Scott, thanks!

That is all I could ask for. Always excellent customer service Scott, thanks!

I agree with both statements! Thanks, Scott.

Or (not to play devil's advocate) but...

People could also realize that IDW has done convention variants for the Artist's Editions before and with the success would probably continue. It's part of why people attend conventions.

Thanks Scott for these. Looking forward to picking up!

Or (not to play devil's advocate) but...

People could also realize that IDW has done convention variants for the Artist's Editions before and with the success would probably continue. It's part of why people attend conventions.

Thanks Scott for these. Looking forward to picking up!

I don't think the Simonson sketch cover was a con exclusive, was it? Were the Romita sketch editions? The real point, and since Scott agrees it seems a good one, is that customer indecision and confusion is resulting and that is never good for a business. Yes, it might probably continue, but we like these books and probably isn't enough information especially if you wait for an exclusuive and none is planned.."exclusive edition to follow" is enough, it need not be more specific than that.

Re:"exclusive edition to follow" is enough

Not quite. I want to know if it is con only or not. I doubt that I'll ever make SDCC so knowing that the "regular" edition is the only one available to me is important.

I think the Romita special raised the bar for all others. Been talking about the IDW SDCC exclusives with friends in prep for the show and everybody mentions Romita against every book.

It is the gold standard all others will be compared with.

My Mazz shipped today. maybe I will put it aside to read when I return from the Roger Waters THE WALL concert next week! Then my mind can be blown out completely!

I didn't know about this artist's edition. :)

JUN120398.jpg

Celebrate the 100th anniversary of Edgar Rice Burroughs' most enduring creation, Tarzan of the Apes! Joe Kubert is one of the most acclaimed comic artists ever. His career in comics began nearly 70 years ago and continues today. Throughout all those years his hallmarks have been a mastery of sequential storytelling and exceptionally fine drawing. Highlights of his career include work on Hawkman, Enemy Ace, Tor, Sgt. Rock, and the Viking Prince. But of all these exceptional artistic achievements one stands out: his remarkable adaption of ERB's Tarzan. This Artist Edition collects six complete stories by Kubert, including the four-part classic, Tarzan of the Apes-the defining story of young Lord Greystoke being orphaned in the African jungle and adopted by the she-ape Kala, and grows to manhood to become Tarzan, lord of the jungle.