• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do ...

88 posts in this topic

its ebay buyers don't really have a choice on the shipping also I am sure ebay has rules set to make it so sellers are not suppose to make $$$ off the shipping fees

eBay has altered its final value fees to include the cost of shipping. previously, they would cancel a listing (either buy-it-now or auction) if the shipping price was exorbitant (without justification).

I would give him the single stars (or 2-star rating) and call it a day. Although one user can only affect the total feedback score by +/- 1, the stars are a different story - they count individually. Make sure, if you sell on eBay and think they will retailate, to block them PRIOR to leaving feeback. I had a seller (expertcomics out of MA) instantly buy my cheapest item and neg me because I left neutral feedback on an AWFUL transaction. Be cautious.

Maybe the seller paid $31.50 for the shipping materials. Cardboard prices are going up.

Maybe the seller paid $31.50 for the shipping materials. Cardboard prices are going up.

Not to mention designer scotch tape and shredded/discarded US mint dollars for cushioning

Not to mention designer scotch tape and shredded/discarded US mint dollars for cushioning

And limo service to the post office.

I still have soda coming out of my nose on that one... :roflmao:

And breakfast.

1207097_100308121603_CristalChampagneL_228x681.jpg

I gave another boardie the same advice I'm about to give you.

Neg him already. Then quit buying off eBay.

"Take out the pitchforks"...dude..why is everyone so quick to do this?

its ebay buyers don't really have a choice on the shipping also I am sure ebay has rules set to make it so sellers are not suppose to make $$$ off the shipping fees

eBay has altered its final value fees to include the cost of shipping. previously, they would cancel a listing (either buy-it-now or auction) if the shipping price was exorbitant (without justification).

I would give him the single stars (or 2-star rating) and call it a day. Although one user can only affect the total feedback score by +/- 1, the stars are a different story - they count individually. Make sure, if you sell on eBay and think they will retailate, to block them PRIOR to leaving feeback. I had a seller (expertcomics out of MA) instantly buy my cheapest item and neg me because I left neutral feedback on an AWFUL transaction. Be cautious.

Good advice - but I would still politely ask for a refund first. I'd rather leave 5 stars, get the excess shipping $$ back and be happy. A good seller wants that too.

I did not realize that detail ratings were per item. Thank you.

Mailing packages outside the USA makes estimating shipping costs much more difficult. I've shipped many a package to Great Britian, Ireland, Australia and Canada. If what I charge is more than my costs I refund. Without being asked. I've also sent quick emails explaining when the label costs do not reflect the total costs - eBay encourages the use of their own private shipping insurance (Shipcover?) Those charges - since they are not paid to the post office - do not show on the label. So the sender of the item in question - depending on the value of the cards and IF they purchased Shipcover insurance - may have spent $2-$10 more than it appears.

Some posters (not this post - I'm just moving on to other posts) on this thread continue to insist it is unreasonable to neg someone for excess shipping if the buyer agreed to the amount. That is a slippery slope of logic. At what point does it become unreasonable? 2x, 3x, 100x? If you can agree it is unreasonable to charge someon $1000 for shipping when it costs $10 - then what about $850? Or $500? Or $100? Or $20? Also worth keeping in mind is a buyer often doesn't know what a "reasonable" shipping charge to say the UK would be - until they get the package and see the costs.

Bottom line is that there is no "good" reason to charge more than a dollar or two over actual shipping costs - and even that little bit is a poor busisness decision. The reason eBay encourages free shipping is it makes for happy customers. Happy customers come back. Now in "start at 99 cents no reserve auctions" free shipping often isn't an option. But charging close to what it costs is good business.

it all starts with communication. Buyer needs to ask, Seller needs to explain and/or refund. Or not. Then Buyer goes from there

I gave another boardie the same advice I'm about to give you.

Neg him already. Then quit buying off eBay.

"Take out the pitchforks"...dude..why is everyone so quick to do this?

This is going to be my response to anyone that posts an eBay problem from here on out.

eBay is a crapshoot. There have been more posts over the years about shoddy eBay sellers/transactions than anything else put together (even pressing threads).

If you play on the Bay, there's a great chance something is going to go bad. (shrug)

+1 to what tony said (thumbs u

Sellers are NOT supposed to make their profit by raping you on shipping. That's the whole reason for the star system and like tony said, if someone does rape you on shipping you are SUPPOSED to ding them. It doesn't matter what was agreed to. Sellers aren't supposed to be making $30 off you from overcharging shipping. I don't buy the notion that it's ok to rip someone off just because they may not be savvy enough to know any better.

I don't see how anyone can justify charging $60 when the actual cost was $28.50??? This whole "don't neg someone" "don't 1 star someone" movement you always see just seems to me to be the herd mentality of people that sell on eBay. They don't want anyone having the idea that it's perfectly fine to neg or 1 star someone because then down the line they might get neg'd or get a 1 star rating. Positive feedback and 5 star ratings are NOT some god given birthright for eBay sellers. They have to earn it. If they don't, you can and SHOULD neg them or give them 1star. Not doing that is how people like robojo and bijoubaby maintain their 100% feedback and continue to prey on people.

If a eBay seller doesn't earn your ratings and won't work with you to make it right, IMO it's your duty to slam them in the ratings to help protect other buyers (shrug)

And buyers ARE supposed to look at the shipping prices listed in the auction and decide for themselves whether they think they're reasonable or not PRIOR to bidding on the auction.

If they don't, how is that the sellers fault?

I'm not saying that there aren't azzhat sellers out there who have intentionally vague shipping costs for the sole purpose of padding their profit. I recently bought 3 items from a seller that each had a shipping cost of $6 and where the seller stated that "he would gladly combine shipping". Well, the combined shipping ended up being a $1 discount on two of the items, and a total shipping charge of $16 for something that was mailed in the $5 Priority flat-rate envelope. A seller like that deserves to be dinged.

But if a seller clearly states that the shipping cost is XX, or that he will not combine shipping, it's up to the buyer to decide for themselves whether they'll agree to those terms or not. Nobody is forcing them to bid on the seller's auctions and crying about a clearly-stated shipping cost after the fact is ludicrous.

Well, I totally disagree with that. Let's say I'm buying a statue and the shipping says $50. I figure hey, it's heavy as hell so $50 is reasonable and I buy it. The package comes and the shipping was $22. You think that's fine and ok because "I agreed" to $50???

I'm sorry but THAT is "ludicrous"! Like I said before, I don't think it's ok to rip someone off just because they didn't know any better and agreed to it: are you disagreeing with that? Just because someone doesn't know any better, they can be ripped off and if they then complain its ludicrous??? I know you don't believe that so what are you talking about

Well, I totally disagree with that. Let's say I'm buying a statue and the shipping says $50. I figure hey, it's heavy as hell so $50 is reasonable and I buy it. The package comes and the shipping was $22. You think that's fine and ok because "I agreed" to $50???

But if you thought "50 is reasonable", what changed on your end? You were willing to pay $XXX plus $50 shipping for the statue, you paid it, you got your statue. Would you feel better if shipping was $22, but the statue was priced $28 higher?

Then again, I have a different perspective being in Canada since just about every seller rips me off on shipping. Life's too short.

Sellers are NOT supposed to make their profit by raping you on shipping. That's the whole reason for the star system and like tony said, if someone does rape you on shipping you are SUPPOSED to ding them. It doesn't matter what was agreed to. Sellers aren't supposed to be making $30 off you from overcharging shipping. I don't buy the notion that it's ok to rip someone off just because they may not be savvy enough to know any better.

I don't see how anyone can justify charging $60 when the actual cost was $28.50??? This whole "don't neg someone" "don't 1 star someone" movement you always see just seems to me to be the herd mentality of people that sell on eBay. They don't want anyone having the idea that it's perfectly fine to neg or 1 star someone because then down the line they might get neg'd or get a 1 star rating. Positive feedback and 5 star ratings are NOT some god given birthright for eBay sellers. They have to earn it. If they don't, you can and SHOULD neg them or give them 1star. Not doing that is how people like robojo and bijoubaby maintain their 100% feedback and continue to prey on people.

If a eBay seller doesn't earn your ratings and won't work with you to make it right, IMO it's your duty to slam them in the ratings to help protect other buyers (shrug)

And buyers ARE supposed to look at the shipping prices listed in the auction and decide for themselves whether they think they're reasonable or not PRIOR to bidding on the auction.

I'm not saying that there aren't azzhat sellers out there who have intentionally vague shipping costs for the sole purpose of padding their profit. I recently bought 3 items from a seller that each had a shipping cost of $6 and where the seller stated that "he would gladly combine shipping". Well, the combined shipping ended up being a $1 discount on two of the items, and a total shipping charge of $16 for something that was mailed in the $5 Priority flat-rate envelope. A seller like that deserves to be dinged.

But if a seller clearly states that the shipping cost is XX, or that he will not combine shipping, it's up to the buyer to decide for themselves whether they'll agree to those terms or not. Nobody is forcing them to bid on the seller's auctions and crying about a clearly-stated shipping cost after the fact is ludicrous.

I'm sorry but THAT is "ludicrous"! Like I said before, I don't think it's ok to rip someone off just because they didn't know any better and agreed to it: are you disagreeing with that? Just because someone doesn't know any better, they can be ripped off and if they then complain its ludicrous??? I know you don't believe that so what are you talking about

Aren't you supposed to educate yourself as a buyer? If someone radically overpays for the item itself is it okay because they didn't know any better? They are bidding, they are supposed to know. Same with any deal. You are entering into the deal you are supposed to understand what you are entering. That includes shipping. Take the time to get an idea what shipping should cost for you. It is very easy to do.

Now I'm not condoning someone who willfully overcharges for shipping. But as a buyer you need to protect yourself. Knowledge goes a long way. And at the point that you bid on an item you are entering a deal. The shipping costs are spelled out. Understand the deal before you bid.

Aren't you supposed to educate yourself as a buyer? If someone radically overpays for the item itself is it okay because they didn't know any better? They are bidding, they are supposed to know. Same with any deal. You are entering into the deal you are supposed to understand what you are entering. That includes shipping. Take the time to get an idea what shipping should cost for you. It is very easy to do.

Now I'm not condoning someone who willfully overcharges for shipping. But as a buyer you need to protect yourself. Knowledge goes a long way. And at the point that you bid on an item you are entering a deal. The shipping costs are spelled out. Understand the deal before you bid.

What you're proposing is personal accountability. That's soooo 1920.

But if you thought "50 is reasonable", what changed on your end? You were willing to pay $XXX plus $50 shipping for the statue, you paid it, you got your statue. Would you feel better if shipping was $22, but the statue was priced $28 higher?

Then again, I have a different perspective being in Canada since just about every seller rips me off on shipping. Life's too short.

Hey, say I have no clue whatsoever what shipping costs and think $50 is reasonable but it turns out it only cost $22, you think that's fine because I was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and thought it would cost $50? Again, I don't think it's right to rip people off because they don't know any better. I can't believe that you guys actually do but for some reason you are arguing that it is ???

The op bought a bunch of cards so maybe he assumed the box would be much bigger and heavier than it was so $60 seemed reasonable. Because he was wrong, it ok that he got hosed for an extra $30 and he can't complain??? That seems retarded to me.

Say some one is charging $15 to send 1 slab. I assume they are gonna send priority which would be like $13 so I agree and then it comes in a $2 media mail box. Is that also fine and dandy because I agreed to $15 shipping?

I guess it's just me. I don't think people should be ripped off under any circumstance regardless if they agree, are just too stupid to know better or any other reason.

You bought the item with a clearly listed shipping price of $50. If you thought the total price (eg. the item price & the shipping cost) was reasonable at the time of purpose, why is it suddenly unreasonable if the seller doesn't spend every single penny of the $50 on shipping?

And how would this be any different than a buyer overpaying for a book on eBay because he's unaware of GPA or the market in general? Do you think it's reasonable for him to neg the seller because he couldn't be bothered to do any homework?

If I see a listing on ebay with a crazy shipping price, I don't bid on the auction - end of story.

In a perfect world, I'd agree with you. Still though, I don't think it's ok to rip someone off because they were too last, stupid, etc to "educate" themselves. I don't think it's alright to prey on people's stupidity. That's not a "5 star seller" in my book (shrug)

You bought the item with a clearly listed shipping price of $50. If you thought the total price (eg. the item price & the shipping cost) was reasonable at the time of purpose, why is it suddenly unreasonable if the seller doesn't spend every single penny of the $50 on shipping?

And how would this be any different than a buyer overpaying for a book on eBay because he's unaware of GPA or the market in general? Do you think it's reasonable for him to neg the seller because he couldn't be bothered to do any homework?

If I see a listing on ebay with a crazy shipping price, I don't bid on the auction - end of story.

Again, I don't care what the circumstance is, I don't think it's ok to rip people off because they were too stupid, lazy or whatever to do their homework. Yes, it would be great if everyone educated themselves so they never got ripped off. It would also be great if there weren't scumbag sellers looking to prey on people's stupidity waiting for that 1 uninformed buyer to rip off.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one because I'm just not a fan of taking advantage of people no matter what the circumstance (shrug)