• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whirlwind Buying (some stories to follow)

172 posts in this topic

I officially give up on comic collecting. What the _____ am I doing wrong here? Can someone tell me what kind of career I need to get into?

Go to law school, med school or make a killing in the stock market? (shrug)

...and don't get married... :gossip:

...and don't have kids...., :gossip:

I officially give up on comic collecting. What the _____ am I doing wrong here? Can someone tell me what kind of career I need to get into?

Yep. I have four. They eat a lot of comic money.

You should really consider feeding them food. All that paper money will back them up...

You should really consider feeding them food. All that paper money will back them up...

Fiber. Keeps 'em regular. ;)

I have actually wondered how many people on these boards are doctors, lawyers, big money makers! I would love to know who's just super rich and just buys books cause they like too and can get what they want without hesitating. :blahblah:rantrant

foolkiller happens to be a lawyer, but there are plenty of broke lawyers out there, especially recent grads, or even non-recent grads like myself who live paycheck to paycheck (which is mainly because of my huge monthly housing/childcare nut, true), so i wouldn't rush off to law school just yet.

I believe the WSJ tweeted this morning that there was a 50 / 50 chance that any new lawyer this year would find a job within 9 months. Doesn't look like bright prospects to me. (yeah, yeah, this doesn't apply equally to grads of all schools ... but nevertheless)

I was back from Connecticut for a day or two when someone posted on the boards regarding the new collection that New England Comics had just gotten in. It's rare that things would actually work out that I was available to drop everything and fly to a location to see a location and also rare that I would think it was worth it to take that risk of time investment.

With that said, I made a call up to New England Comics and discussed the collection with the woman on the phone. She noted they had already sold the big keys out of the collection. I told her I was going to fly up and was willing to spend a fairly large amount of cash but that I wanted to make sure there was enough worthwhile. Tom, the manager of Quincy, called me back and told me that the quality of the collection was very nice, but to some degree, there was some hit or miss in it. He said, I want to make sure it's worth it. By this time, i had booked my flight and my hotel, and so I wanted to take a shot. He said there is a lot of high grade so I think you'll find a lot.

He was right.

I landed at around 5:00 PM, but with Boston rush hour traffic, I didn't reach the store until 6:15 PM. I raced through the collection and only saw a small portion of it -- and had to go back Saturday morning when they opened.

The collection was mostly post 66 Marvels which were mid grade, but some time around 1970 or 1971, the books had some that turned exceptionally nice with some absolutely awesome grades. Like many stores, the prices were universally consistent. Some books were over graded were priced at 9.2, some were right on target and priced at 9.2, and some were 9.6+ quality priced at 9.2.

I was able to purchase a full magazine box plus another 30 books, so probably about 200 total.

Here's some of the highlights from that purchase (it was a haul to bring on the plane, but I packed light so it worked out)

CM33.jpg

bats232.jpg

avengers118.jpg

ASM134.jpg

No trips to the beach or the gym?

Oh wait, that would be a spiderman-on-tilt thread and there wouldn't be any scans of books :baiting:

I did spend the weekend following NEC at my in-law's shore house down at LBI. So a little beach time... which I love.

I believe the WSJ tweeted this morning that there was a 50 / 50 chance that any new lawyer this year would find a job within 9 months. Doesn't look like bright prospects to me. (yeah, yeah, this doesn't apply equally to grads of all schools ... but nevertheless)

I read that only 45% of class of 2010 have been able to find law-related jobs, so it might be even worse than your numbers as "job within 9 months" could be working as a receptionist, etc.

Anyway, this thread is about a bunch of awesome comics, don't want to detract from that, just wanted to spray some reality into the notion that all lawyers are making a killing because that's exactly why so many people go to law school, load up on debt only to find out they were sold a false bill of goods unless they happen to be at the top of their class or at a top school.

I read that only 45% of class of 2010 have been able to find law-related jobs, so it might be even worse than your numbers as "job within 9 months" could be working as a receptionist, etc.

Anyway, this thread is about a bunch of awesome comics, don't want to detract from that, just wanted to spray some reality into the notion that all lawyers are making a killing because that's exactly why so many people go to law school, load up on debt only to find out they were sold a false bill of goods unless they happen to be at the top of their class or at a top school.

No worries about chatting away about the state of our profession.

I feel very fortunate to be in the position I am, with continuing options for moving forward... luck of the draw to have graduated when I did and the opportunities I got.

:roflmao:

The best thing my law degree did was to show me the value of a MBA.

After being home for a weekend, my next stop was to go to Detroit for a client meeting. In terms of comic stores, I didn't see a whole heckuva lot that interested me, outside of Big Ben's, so I decided to set up a meeting with Harley who was on his way back from the Denver Comic Con.

I met Harley at his office/warehouse which just has an incredible amount of comics. Whenever I think I have a lot of comics I remember what major dealers have and it's mind blowing. Unfortunately, I was in Detroit on the hottest day of the year thus far, and Harley's office was a sweat shop. This made me go fast and a tad sloppy and careless as a result. Sometimes this happens on buys where you don't inspect every single book carefully and if you don't, you can make some expensive mistakes. With that said, many of the books I purchased from Harley were spectacular and I really enjoyed catching up with him in a very relaxed environment.

The thing that I always find remarkable is just how many big books you can find quickly. Harley just purchased on his way back from Denver a huge mag box full of nice grade Golden Age Detectives, Batmans, World's Finest and Supermans. Tons of great stuff as well as unprocessed stuff that doesn't make it to the shows right away.

Anyway, harley's was fun and here's some of what I snagged there...

WH1.jpg

FF73.jpg

MTU1.jpg

DD1.jpg

avengers57.jpg

action300.jpg

Big books coming later tonight!

It's amazing how much raw high grade material is out there. I remember arguing that this stuff was going to dry up soon back in 2003. :facepalm:

Drove another 40 minutes or so and reached another store. This one had a lot more vintage back issues and the wall and case had a few nice books (Cave Comics).

I was in CT earlier in the year and think I hit this one. I picked up a nice stack of early ASM’s. Is it the log cabin looking shop with all the Batman sketches on the wall? Seem to remember a pretty sweet Bob Kane sketch up in the corner. hm

Legends of Superheros in Middlebury is a favorite when I'm in CT as well. Tough to find and about an hour from the airport, but I've always been able to find something there.

On saturday I met boardie Louis Michaelson and picked up his sweet FF 1 CGC 5.5. It's a really nice copy and I was pleased to pick it up... had a great conversation with him about the practice of law etc.

ff1cgc55.jpg

On Sunday, I arranged to meet a boardie in Philadelphia to do a large deal. I had been anxiously anticipating picking up a huge whack of keys at once and these were particularly nice from an eye appeal standpoint. I won't reveal who it is unless they want to mention it themselves, but these books had outstanding eye appeal, perfect wraps and deep colors. Normally as a quasi part time dealer you think can I turn these and make money. My thought when I saw these was, how many can I afford to keep? Several will make their way to my collection. Still, they are exceptional examples for the grade and I thoroughly enjoyed buying them. I bought several others not pictured here. Here are some of the highlights... first up, my favorite book, a CGC 7.0

JIM83cgc70.jpg

This another sweet copy...

FF1cgc60.jpg

What a killer 6.5!

FF2cgc65.jpg

Another of my faves...

DD1cgc85.jpg

A very solid 6.0

avengers1cgc60.jpg

Sharp 9.6 Western Penn...

subby1cgc96wp.jpg

Old label goodness of one of my favorite characters of all time...

cap100cgc96.jpg

A great X-Men 1...

xmen1cgc90.jpg

Had a bite to eat with the boardie and a delicious "healthy elvis" (peanut butter, nutella, banana, wheat bread).

Just awesome.

Then I met Bob Siman and did a nice deal on a group of slabs including this beauty... Bob's always great to chill with...

avengers25cgc96.jpg

And that was the end of my weekend. Think I'll take a buying breather for awhile before San Diego and Chicago....

Thanks for tagging along on the ride with me!