• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8? Really? IM 1

8 posts in this topic

I think you may be nitpicking. It looks like a solid 9.8 from the size of the scan. Scanners don't always perfectly pick up 90 degree corner angles in smaller resolutions.

Brian

I think you may be nitpicking. It looks like a solid 9.8 from the size of the scan. Scanners don't always perfectly pick up 90 degree corner angles in smaller resolutions.

Brian

Aren't you supposed to nitpick with a 9.8? Isn't a 9.8 the definition of nit picking? smile.gifmakepoint.gif

Iron Man 1 on Pedigree Comics

That ULC seems awfully not-9.8ish to me. In-slab damage? Image artifact? LLC corner doesn't seem sharp and I spy a decent color breaking spine nick at IM's foot.

*shrug* maybe its just me. confused.gif

I'd have probably suggested the same things... if I hadn't already done so on some other scans and been roundly criticized for generally not knowing my grading P's and Q's and PQ's and QP's. tonofbricks.gif

I think it would be unusual for the ULC to sustain in-slab damage, but I am no expert.

It is obvious that the case has sustained some damage (evidenced by the crack in the lower left quadrant). It is possible that that spine break is actually something wrong with the case.

However, this could then be used to argue that the case had been somewhat abused and that that ULC could have then suffered post-slabbing wear.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I'm sorry but with a scan that size all you're doing is guessing. The corner doesn't look affected to me?

Brian

I agree that a better scan would decide the matter, but two things come to mind:

1) Saving the scan to my XP system and blowing it up in Windows Picture Viewer strongly suggests something amiss. Crispness degrades a bit, but there definitely appears so be some ding-age.

However, I will be the first to admit ignorance on whether a ding due to overwrap is different from a ding from the book being dropped (for example).

And, as I said, that presumed spine stress could easily be in the slab.

2) If someone is selling a high-dollar book like this, I'd think a scan showing off the book would better serve all parties involved. I realize the site is new and several folks have indicated bigger scans would be beneficial, but there will always be naysayers and nitpickers hi.gif that will latch on to the minutest flaw and blow it way out of proportion... given the chance.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan