• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprints?

25 posts in this topic

How much would you hit a book for fingerprints? This is especially common on black covers or books with high quality paper like Watchmen or Dark Empire for the copper age to moderns like Walking Dead. Say the book is 9.8 but there are a couple of prints on the front and back cover, how would you grade it?

I think that's fair, i hate prints, that's why i wear gloves when i handle my books. Of course that wasn't always the case and i totally destroyed a $30 book i bought in the 90's with my prints all over the black back cover doh! Lesson learned then and there.

Thanks for the info Joey, will keep it in mind.

Are fingerprints something that pressing can fix, or is it a permanent whammy?

Pressing wont fix it but dry cleaning frequently removes them or at least what is visable.

Not really, typical fingerprints are left from the oils in your hands - dry cleaning won't remove those.

Pressing wont fix it but dry cleaning frequently removes them or at least what is visable.

Not really, typical fingerprints are left from the oils in your hands - dry cleaning won't remove those.

That is true when the inks are smeared. In some cases the fingerprints are just surface and can be cleaned off. But typically, an oily fingerprint cannot be removed.

like this one on the top right of this book that was 9.8 pre-signing? :(

dc1_f.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Its not like grading is totally consistent but I am always looking for "benchmarks" like this to compare with how a defect is graded.

MCP's response grade: 9.6

It's permanent.How in the heck could pressing a book change a finger print? :makepoint:

Oakman's response grade: 2.0

In my opinion that 9.4 grade on the SS Cloak and dagger isnt what they would normally do. I think it's a gimmie grade cause they know it wasnt there before it was signed.

Send in an otheriwse 9.8 with a fingerprint of that size straight off, no way it breaks 9.0 IMHO

Thats probably Rick's fingerprint tho, so congratz on the duel auto/fingerprint

In my opinion that 9.4 grade on the SS Cloak and dagger isnt what they would normally do. I think it's a gimmie grade cause they know it wasnt there before it was signed.

Send in an otheriwse 9.8 with a fingerprint of that size straight off, no way it breaks 9.0 IMHO

Thats probably Rick's fingerprint tho, so congratz on the duel auto/fingerprint

Is that a fingerprint or fingerprint's? I see some in the center but I cant tell if that is on the case or the book.

I didn't read the whole thread so my original response was off and lacked additional detail. The fingerprints I remove arn't likely the ones left by oils but from some other substance that either was on the finger or collected on the cover afterwards making the print visable or at least that is my theory.

All I know is I remove some off them but I don't know what caused the print to be visible in the first place and really dont know the difference between a print that is visible because of the oils or one that is visible because of dirt or ink.