• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL NOW: Here comes the Marvel Relaunch

141 posts in this topic

MARVEL NOW! The Marvel Relaunch gets a name

However, I do know that this is a relaunch and not a reboot. No continuity will be reset, it will still be the Marvel Universe contoinuing stories. Just that lots of titles will now have a lovely fresh #1s, some will have new names, some will be cancelled and characters will have new designs, motivations, story arcs and raison d’etre.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/02/marvel-now-the-marvel-relaunch-gets-a-name/

Give me strength. :facepalm:

We've just had a lot of titles reaching landmark numbers over the past year or so, was that not enough?

Is this down to JQ - is he still there?

Still, it must work for them and bring in the coin. While it does they will keep it up.

When I started collecting, I had no trouble understanding that new directions occurred at certain issue numbers in the past - 168, 337, 232. The fixation that each new creative team merits a "number one" diluted the effect of relaunches about 14 years ago.

Great idea! Since the new 52 has been such a success. :screwy:

Didn't the new 52 increase sales substantially?

Not sure about national sales, but my LCS has done nothing but bemoan it. They ripped the covers off of about 1000 books and threw them in the giveaway boxes.

Great idea! Since the new 52 has been such a success. :screwy:

Didn't the new 52 increase sales substantially?

Not sure about national sales, but my LCS has done nothing but bemoan it. They ripped the covers off of about 1000 books and threw them in the giveaway boxes.

Couldn't that be because they overordered books as well? My LCS is very conservative in their orders. The only books I'd say they honestly have too many of are walking dead books, which they easily sell on ebay for higher than cover price.

As much as I hated the new 52 relaunch, I honestly welcome a relaunch/renumbering at Marvel. There are still too many mutant books. I'd love to have a nice point to jump back into those books again.

I dunno what to think of this. I've been slow to get back into "new" books because the whole thing strikes me as messy. If they renumber, clean things up and get rid of some titles - I'd probably be up for trying out some of my old favorites again.

But this Wolverine stuff where he's in six books a month is idiotic. If they want to increase sales, I wish they'd publish a title twice a month instead of dumping different titles with the same character all over the place...

Well, that means issues #1-#19 will be the last 'paper' 'Captain America's that I'll be buying. I'll bind #1-#19, and as of #20; I'll be going digital for 'Captain America' and get them from Comixology. I can not begin to explain how much I loath John Romita JR's art.

JRJRRoast.jpg

Marvel prides itself on its history. They have done this before then revert back to the old numbering system in time for a major anniversary issue. (Amazing Spider-man 500 anyone?)

I believe someone said it best when DC started the New 52. Marvel will follow suit if the New 52 turns out to be a success. However, I do expect DC to revert back to the old numbering system in time for Action Comics 1000 and Detective Comics 1000. I cannot see why they wouldn't want to hype that event.