• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who really is on the cutting edge of comics right now Marvel or DC?

24 posts in this topic

I was thinking about which titles I enjoy reading the most and I found it interesting that the majority of those titles are DC. The is especially true of the Vertigo line of books where I think there has been innovation and the introduction of some really cutting edge characters.

This caused me to wonder, what has Marvel been up to lately? Have they produced any innovating characters recently or in the past 5 years that have potential. I was at a loss really to come up with any. It seems to me that Marvel is kidna in a time warp, they are making movies based on their classic characters and the companies Golden Age and this has definitely caused some stagnation, or is it just me. Even the Ultimates and the revamp of their titles was throwing out new characters from other angles. I mean I'm not talking about a big bang of new heroes - a la the Failed experiment with the New Universe, but is it just me or has the originality kind of lapsed at Marvel. Not to say that there is not talent there, Bendis would be a nice example, but are the reins maybe a little too heavy, has the insitution become so insulated that it is beyond experimentation and is this maybe DC's opportunity to break out and do to Marvel what Marvel did to it when DC was the standard. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Just random thoughts that I though I would posit to the modern board for some input as I think there are others here who are more in touch with the modern marketplace than I.

DC easily. Especially when you factor in the Wildstorm and Vertigo imprints. Marvel is still doing some good stuff, but the stuff that gets me most excited is across the aisle.

The stuff that I really can't wait for:

Superman/Batman

Wolverine: The End

Thanos

Secret War

Wanted

Conan

Of those, 1 is a DC, 3 are Marvels, 2 are none of the above. That being said...I think the best is Wanted. Of course, every reader's opinion will differ on this, but I find it refreshing to read something that has not been recycled from other titles by the same publisher. While most of the books I enjoy are Marvels, I don't think that Marvel is being that "cutting edge". It just seems like they are trying to throw everything up in the air and they hope that something sticks. As for the DCs...I have tried, but haven't really gotten into the Vertigo stuff yet. confused-smiley-013.gif

Its neck and neck as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimate Spider-Man has been the best super-hero book for the past 4 years.

100 Bullets has been the best non-superhero book for the past 5 years.

Trailing after those is an equal smattering of goodness. Fables. Powers (now at Marvel). Gotham Central. Supreme Power. Losers. Daredevil.

If Marvel lost Bendis, it would be game over.

DC easily. Especially when you factor in the Wildstorm and Vertigo imprints. Marvel is still doing some good stuff, but the stuff that gets me most excited is across the aisle.

The stuff that I really can't wait for:

Superman/Batman

Wolverine: The End

Thanos

Secret War

Wanted

Conan

The current books I'm most into

Vertigo/ Wildstorm/ DC

Sleeper

Planetary

Global Frequency

Superman/Batman

Y The Last Man

Seaguy

Plastic Man

Identity Crisis

Ex Machina

and as soon as Brubaker/ Nguyen take over, The Authority

Marvel

MK Spider-Man

Supreme Power

Daredevil

She Hulk

Ultimate FF (Not the Millar/Bendis thing, but just because I have faith in Warren Ellis)

Other:

Wanted

Conan

30 Days Franchise

I'm probably missing a title or two and I'll also probably add Astonishing X-Men if it stays this good and Cassaday stays on board; but that's the way it shakes out for me right now. Hence my vote for DC

DC with it's Vertigo line. (DC Focus titles Fraction, Touch and Kinetic are decent too) It would be great to know the demographics of the people buying the Vertigo titles.

Maybe it's scary at Marvel, really. Who's going to step over the line and chance something new with the Marvel behemoth? Supreme Power is Supreme Power love it or hate it. Kabuki and Powers, well they were both sucked in, not created (at Marvel). Would be nice to see Marvel try a wider range of genres such as DC, Dark Horse and Image.

At the end of the day Marvel is firmly nested in the comics top 100, owning the top 10. Until that changes Marvel is a butterknife.

CRC

To me, it's not even close... DC has been able to revitalize mainstream heroes, maintain the quality of its Vertigo imprint and add Wildstorm.

Other than the Ultimate line, Marvel has done little. Even the Ultimate line, outside of Ultimate Spider Man, is inconsistent in quality.

...While most of the books I enjoy are Marvels, I don't think that Marvel is being that "cutting edge". It just seems like they are trying to throw everything up in the air and they hope that something sticks...

You hit the nail on the head. Marvel has 17 #1's (counting ongoing series, limited series & one-shots) debuting in August. I just skimmed through DC's offerings and came up with one, Manhunter #1.

CRC

This caused me to wonder, what has Marvel been up to lately?

Isn't it obvious to everybody by now. Marvel has no intention to create new characters in today's market. They figure that they already have the best characters in the marketplace and the comic buyers must also be aware of this. That's why we end up with countless new versions of the same characters such as Spider-Man, X-titles, and now FF.

Let's see, we now have a Spider-Girl book. How much longer before we have an Spider-Boy and a Spider-Baby book at the rate which Marvel is going. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Jason....I was thinking exactly the same thing the last couple weeks. I read a stack of new comics I just bought, and by far the most interesting read was JSA. (If anyone wants to follow the changes to Hal and his Spectre/Green Lantern metamorphosis, this is a good issue to get started). Someone already mentioned how DC has made their characters interesting, and what they did to the old JSA is classic-mixing up the old with the new. And, it's not called "Ultimate JSA". grin.gif

The most boring read was Amazing Spider-man along with a couple of the other Marvels I bought.Having some of the characters read like a someone out of Lord of the Rings trilogy really didn't do anything for me. Iron Man was interesting primarily 'cause the Avengers were in it but that same month he's also fighting the Hulk! confused.gif

I also recently bought up a bunch of Modern Vertigoes like 100 Bullets, Shade, Animal Man, Invisibles and Preacher strictly on the basis of all the positive comments I hear on the forum. I have not as yet read any of them , but definitely am looking forward to it when I do.

Although it's been mentioned before, no continuity between titles and no longer any cohesion in the now non-existant Marvel Universe.

I'm thinking they either stopped trying or when I also hear they are coming out with 17 #1's in August they maybe no longer know what to do.

DC's taking over.

Two comments really - Herb nice to hear from you, you will enjoy those Vertigo's so well written.

In regards to Lou Fine's comments about Spider-girl, bot and Bot. See this is where I am drawing my Parallel to DC of the early 60s. Seems they ran out of ideas and came up with Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane and spinoffs rather than new creations. Here we have Marvel now doing the same, with the 17 #1's and the 8 X-books and 8 spidey books.

Look crash or no crash in terms of quality and quantity, the latter is poised to steam roll the former and as a fan of the characters and the art form I must shake my head. It seems that history as always tends to repeat itself. If X-men get to the point where is was in the early to mid-ninetees with cross-over upon cross over a continuity that read like a road map from hell. I may finally say aloha to this series and move on. Chris Clarmount is back and Grant Morrison just finished in the New X-men book, but I hated X-books in the early 90s and look poised to do so again.

I used to be a big defender of Marvel, but scary as it seems, the loss of Bill Jemas seems to have uncorked the bottle of restraint! Now it's all about relaunches and reloads and new series and dissassembling.

Good at Marvel:

- Ultimate Spider-Man

- Daredevil

- Astonishing X-Men

- Marvel Knights 4 (for now, until McNiven leaves)

- Marvel Knights Spider-Man

On the flip side, DC does do a better job of maintaining the integrity and consistancy of their characters. I'm not really a Wildstorm or Vertigo fan, but there are series there that I enjoy getting the trades.

Good at DC:

- Identity Crisis

- JSA

- Green Arrow

- Planetary

- Fables

- Y the Last Man

- Superman/Batman

- Teen Titans

As for the rest, there's not a lot out there that really interests me. Wanted, I suppose.

Agree w/ just about everyone here. DC blo9ws Marvel away in terms of quality and "value for your dollar". Vertigo and Wildstorm (OK, Planetary and Ex Machina the only WS I currently read) hardly ever miss. Marvel only has one consistently "great read"....Daredevil. I am usually entertained by the Marvel books I buy, but they are not on par with the Vertigo books I buy each month.

Currently this is what I enjoy:

DC - Vertigo

Y the Last Man

Fables

Swamp Thing

Batman Adventures

Some of the other cartoon network related books

Marvel -

Fantastic Four

Gemstone -

Anything with Don Rosa work in it

...While most of the books I enjoy are Marvels, I don't think that Marvel is being that "cutting edge". It just seems like they are trying to throw everything up in the air and they hope that something sticks...

You hit the nail on the head. Marvel has 17 #1's (counting ongoing series, limited series & one-shots) debuting in August. I just skimmed through DC's offerings and came up with one, Manhunter #1.

CRC

Is that Martian Manhunter? Or some other Manhunter? confused.gif

Different Manhunter. Some lawyer chick gets tired of seeing bad dudes walk and takes the law into her own hands by stealing some super-powered gizmos from the cop-shops lock-up and deals out some whoop arse. Jae Lee cover, looks neat.

note: all those Marvel books I listed are debuting in Sept., not August (my bad) and DC has 5 #1's (ongoing, limited, etc..) debuting that month. (I didn't count Cartoon Network's Block Party #1 but your welcome to add it in if you like thumbsup2.gif )

CRC