• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 small photo tips for cool convention pics.

69 posts in this topic

Hi all, :hi:

My first passion in here is talking with all you folks,getting fascinating and valuable knowledge about comics and classifying it into parts of my brain for later recall. (worship)

A close second is looking at the pictures of cons and dealers racks full of GA and SA while drooling without restraint,waiting for my first con in September here in Montreal. :cloud9: :cloud9:

However,i have noticed that some post pics that lack that certain oomph that would probably draw a bigger gasp from the viewers who come to your thread.

So today i will share 5 small tips and tricks ive learned in my 15 years as a photographer that will make a remarquable difference in your photography.

here we go,

1.RAISE YOUR ISO.This tip alone is worth the other four as this will allow you to DISABLE your flash and get rid of any glare on those wonderful GA covers so that 9.2 Superman 16 doesnt turn into a 9.2 whiteout.The twofold is that you will also get higher shutter speeds and thus,get rid of any blurs.

A good starting point would be 400 ISO.Higher ISO's will introduce more and more noise.

(yes,photography is most always a compromise of some kind.)

2.SHOOT FROM THE SIDE.If you MUST use a flash,place yourself at an angle of about 30 degrees when shooting rows of books.This way,the flash will help highlight them without creating hotspots.

3.BUY A POLARIZING FILTER.No need for Hoyas or B+W,any standard filter will do nicely.This will again reduce glare of any kind (like Master chief-metallic reflections)and will make the colors really pop on those cosplay folks.

4.LEARN THAT HALF-SHUTTER PRESS.Blurry pics most always come from the high to bottom move when we click too fast,never left to right.The zen part is that half press when you get ready to click,which sets the aperture (depth of field ) and helps a lot especially when you want a buddy or cosplay character to stand out against a blurred background.

Like so.

Photobucket

Photobucket

5.LOWER YOUR MEGAPIXELS.Almost all consumer cameras now are all 12 and 14 megapixels which is all good if you want that building-size photo or important stuff like weddings,but most times,its overkill,takes more time to open in Photoshop and takes more time for the camera to process converting that RAW image into a Jpeg.You'll be just fine if you leave it at a setting of 6 or 8 megapixels.

So there you have it forumites,goldenites and silverites,5 tips that will surely improve your convention pics. :applause:

Now go ahead and have a ball ! (or a convention .)

FREE EXTRA TIP.If you want the very best in batteries,buy the Sanyo Eneloops which retain 85 % of the full charge even if you leave them in storage FOR A YEAR. :o

All the terms i mentioned are pretty much in any manual that come with any camera you buy.

make a pot of coffee and start reading.

I'll get right on it, as soon as I figure out how to send a text. :D

All the terms i mentioned are pretty much in any manual that come with any camera you buy.

Its like emailing only using your phone. (thumbs u

I recieved a text from a boardie friend yesterday. When I tried to reply, the letters didn't match what I was trying to say. There's like 3 on every button.

Oh hell,no (tsk)

It may say 8 megapixels on your phone but the lens is the size of a bug on a bug which defeats the purpose on most of these.

Even Iphones.

Note to self get a camera for coventions. Got it.

Are these instructions available in english?

+1

Not that I don't appreciate the effort but unfortunately that might as well be Chinese to my technology retarded brain! :insane:

Don't worry, it's not your fault, I'm an idi ot :blush:

I recieved a text from a boardie friend yesterday. When I tried to reply, the letters didn't match what I was trying to say. There's like 3 on every button.

Are you using a touch screen phone because they usually fill in words depending on what the first letter you typed in was, from memory of words that are most used with it.

Are you using a touch screen phone because they usually fill in words depending on what the first letter you typed in was, from memory of words that are most used with it.

It's a basic flip phone. Anyhow, I won't derail the OP's thread anymore. :sorry:

I will try to take better convention pics though. (thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]I guess we have to call

Sarah (marvelfangirl) and (Liaton-9000)

to give a couple of lesson to mature boards members...[/font]

hm

I have yet to mature! (tsk)

hm

[font:Book Antiqua]Agree...[/font]

:kidaround:

hm

[font:Book Antiqua]Agree...[/font]

:kidaround:

I don't think any of us have.

My convention camera is a Fuji f31, which produces images with very low noise levels even at very high ISOs, so I don't need to use flash.  6 megapixel, ISO 800 gives very good results.  Even 1600 is acceptable, but doesn't hold up if you zoom in.