• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back again with CGG (along with CGC)

458 posts in this topic

Good thinking, go with CGG (the inferior company).. that'll show those bastards at CGC!! Steve, my books should be there sometime soon. I'd rather wait out the turnaround than use a 2nd class service.

Brian

Exactly.

That's fine, it's your decision. But are you a dealer? And do you want your $50 - $200 books sitting with CGC for four months? I sure don't. That is valuable inventory that is tied up and not working for you. In all seriousness, I believe what I am doing is a very WISE business decision. No joke, and no bias holding me back from making that decision. ----Sid

Your only motivation in this hobby, it seems, is making money. You don't read your comics. Thus, you don't discuss anything of substance regarding a particular comic. The only reason why you supported & vehemently defended CGG from the outset was because you thought they would help pad your pocketbook (at the time you had many CGG comics that you were going to sell). Then CGG took hit after hit & eventually you turned your back on them because you felt their damaged reputation would hurt your future CGG sales. What has changed between then & now? Not much, if anything it's gotten worse for CGG. IMHO, you don't give a rat's arse about this hobby. The only thing you care about is the money you get from the sheep you fleece. That sucks man, it sucks bigtime. 893censored-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

FFB, this guy don't get it. His only motivation is the money. Sad & pathetic. boo.gif

I don't know that I'd go that far (meaning saying "sad and pathetic"). He's just trying to make some side income through comic sales, which isn't the worst thing in the world. It isn't like he's trimming and color touching already high grade issues just to squeeze extra money out of a sale, or deliberately overgrading books. He sees CGG as a way for him to make his sales more liquid, and to some extent, he's right. A CGG graded book will sell better than a raw book because regardless of how crappy the holder and how ridiculous the qualifications of their restoration guy, at least a buyer can count on the book not being horribly overgraded. That is worth something to some people.

You're right that he doesn't seem to love comics the way that most people here do, but that's ok too in my book as long as he's honest about it. If he loved his books as much as I love mine, he'd sell a lot fewer of them and then there would go his side income! confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing that bothers me about his (or any seller's) decision to send books to CGG is that as those books become more prevalent, it is likely that CGG will develop market trust and acceptance that it doesn't really deserve. CGG is #2 in the professional grading industry because they have a copycat product and are trading on the misinformation that because their end product looks almost like CGC's and costs almost as much, it is almost as good.

The fact that Sid is sending only cheap stuff that probably isn't restored to CGG lessens the impact of this somewhat, but it still contributes to the problem because more books in the marketplace results in the perception that CGG is an accepted grading service. The bottom line is that people should not support businesses that are shady and CGG is shady with a capital ADY.

Until I am convinced that CGG is on the level, I won't send them any of my books regardless of how slow CGC gets. (The only reason I bought Andy's Amazing Spider-Man #10 is because he was able to tell me enough about the provenance of the book that I wasn't worried about restoration -- plus, if the book comes back restored, I have to think that Andy would work something out with me.)

If CGC stays this slow and I want a professional resto check, I'll send a book to Matt Nelson instead of CGG. I think that a book is safer in a mylar than in a slab anyway, so this is a safe-seeming alternative, especially because Matt also provides a grading opinion. And if I want an expert grading opinion or twelve without a professional resto check, I'll slap some 300 dpi scans up in the grading forum and ask for input. But I ain't sending any of my books to those PVC-slab slinging TDComix-loving buttmonkeys.

BG,

If *any slab is better than selling them raw* is what you're after, I may have a better alternative.

I have several CGG slabs that I cracked without breaking the posts.

I can send them to you and you can slide your book in the inner well, and use your home printer to make your own label for whatever grade you think would sell the best.

Then put the well back in the slab and reseal the corners.

Believe me. I've done it to see what it looks like.

It's near impossible to tell it's a home slab job.

Instant money. thumbsup2.gif

Good thinking, go with CGG (the inferior company).. that'll show those bastards at CGC!! Steve, my books should be there sometime soon. I'd rather wait out the turnaround than use a 2nd class service.

Brian

Exactly.

That's fine, it's your decision. But are you a dealer? And do you want your $50 - $200 books sitting with CGC for four months? I sure don't. That is valuable inventory that is tied up and not working for you. In all seriousness, I believe what I am doing is a very WISE business decision. No joke, and no bias holding me back from making that decision. ----Sid

Your only motivation in this hobby, it seems, is making money. You don't read your comics. Thus, you don't discuss anything of substance regarding a particular comic. The only reason why you supported & vehemently defended CGG from the outset was because you thought they would help pad your pocketbook (at the time you had many CGG comics that you were going to sell). Then CGG took hit after hit & eventually you turned your back on them because you felt their damaged reputation would hurt your future CGG sales. What has changed between then & now? Not much, if anything it's gotten worse for CGG. IMHO, you don't give a rat's arse about this hobby. The only thing you care about is the money you get from the sheep you fleece. That sucks man, it sucks bigtime. 893censored-thumb.gif

Well BOC, at least I know you have been paying attention to me as you do have the outline of some of my history here correct. However, I was debating with a few people here a month or so ago on a thread that I started called something like "To read or not to read, that is the question". Anyway, in it I started the thread with nineteen valid points that state how much I love this hobby and why. Reading the comics was not one of them. So geez, I must not care about the books then foreheadslap.gif. I'm not going to go into that whole spiel again though. But your last statement in the above quote is completely untrue although you are correct in that making money in this hobby IS VERY important to me. ----Sid

Just a few things. There's nothing wrong with 'just trying to make money' in this hobby. There are tons of buyers who could give a rats you know what about a specific comic book and are only interested in flipping it to make a few bucks. There are dealers and collectors who don't read comics anymore. I haven't read a new comic in over a decade. All the stuff I collect, I read in my youth and am re-buying now to keep. If people are willing to voluntarily pay for the merchandise Sid has for sale, what the hell is the problem? Has he robbed someone? Has he ripped someone off? Does he shill his own auctions or fleece others on this board? From all accounts, he's a responsible dealer who is honest and gives a fair deal to his customers. Now he's evil incarnate because he's using CGG? Give me a break.

FFB, this guy don't get it. His only motivation is the money. Sad & pathetic. boo.gif

I don't know that I'd go that far (meaning saying "sad and pathetic"). He's just trying to make some side income through comic sales, which isn't the worst thing in the world. It isn't like he's trimming and color touching already high grade issues just to squeeze extra money out of a sale, or deliberately overgrading books. He sees CGG as a way for him to make his sales more liquid, and to some extent, he's right. A CGG graded book will sell better than a raw book because regardless of how crappy the holder and how ridiculous the qualifications of their restoration guy, at least a buyer can count on the book not being horribly overgraded. That is worth something to some people.

You're right that he doesn't seem to love comics the way that most people here do, but that's ok too in my book as long as he's honest about it. If he loved his books as much as I love mine, he'd sell a lot fewer of them and then there would go his side income! confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing that bothers me about his (or any seller's) decision to send books to CGG is that as those books become more prevalent, it is likely that CGG will develop market trust and acceptance that it doesn't really deserve. CGG is #2 in the professional grading industry because they have a copycat product and are trading on the misinformation that because their end product looks almost like CGC's and costs almost as much, it is almost as good.

The fact that Sid is sending only cheap stuff that probably isn't restored to CGG lessens the impact of this somewhat, but it still contributes to the problem because more books in the marketplace results in the perception that CGG is an accepted grading service. The bottom line is that people should not support businesses that are shady and CGG is shady with a capital ADY.

Until I am convinced that CGG is on the level, I won't send them any of my books regardless of how slow CGC gets. (The only reason I bought Andy's Amazing Spider-Man #10 is because he was able to tell me enough about the provenance of the book that I wasn't worried about restoration -- plus, if the book comes back restored, I have to think that Andy would work something out with me.)

If CGC stays this slow and I want a professional resto check, I'll send a book to Matt Nelson instead of CGG. I think that a book is safer in a mylar than in a slab anyway, so this is a safe-seeming alternative, especially because Matt also provides a grading opinion. And if I want an expert grading opinion or twelve without a professional resto check, I'll slap some 300 dpi scans up in the grading forum and ask for input. But I ain't sending any of my books to those PVC-slab slinging TDComix-loving buttmonkeys.

Scott, thanks for putting things in perspective a little. I know you rib me sometimes, along with others, but when it gets down to it I realize that you can see things pretty clearly and are able to look at things fairly objectively.

I knew you were not being serious with your comment about books being worth more if they are in plastic, but you were right in that the market perceives them to be. So what you said, at least for the time being, is true.

And yes, you bet that I am out to make money in this hobby. At my low level Bio-tech salary I do not make enough money to go to San Diego and other big cons, let alone have a few grand to buy more books with at each convention. Not to mention all my Ebay purchases as well. I rely on this hobby to support this hobby for me. Without CGC, CGG, flipping and all that, you would not seem me at the cons, and you would not see me buying anything over $25 on Ebay. I can and will take advantage of any trend or marketing tool that I have at my disposal to achieve these goals. That does not mean doing anything unethical or dishonest, but it does mean I will take full advantage of trends and fads. Stock up on ASM #129 for a year before the Punisher movie to then sell the two months before the opening? You bet. Take advantage of the price hike created by all comic-related movies? Yup. Pull out a book to sell that has been accumulating dust because the artist or character has just become hot? You bet. Sell my 9.6 amd 9.8 ASM #300s for WAY more than they are really worth? You bet. Take advantage of all ridiculous prices paid for 9.6 and up CGC graded books? Sure thing. Take advantage of the fact that selling slabbed CGG books can bring in higher bids than selling raw? OK, I do that too. Buy a lot of 300 books for $500 and then sell them in smaller lots for a total of $1,200 (and do this dozens of times)? OK, got me again.

Geez, trying to make a part time job out of selling comics must be immoral or something as I am just taking advantage of all the poor innocent comic buyers out there that have no idea what they are doing and let guys like me take their money for comics that I am making a profit on. foreheadslap.gif

----Sid

Scott, thanks for putting things in perspective a little. I know you rib me sometimes, along with others, but when it gets down to it I realize that you can see things pretty clearly and are able to look at things fairly objectively.

I knew you were not being serious with your comment about books being worth more if they are in plastic, but you were right in that the market perceives them to be. So what you said, at least for the time being, is true.

And yes, you bet that I am out to make money in this hobby. At my low level Bio-tech salary I do not make enough money to go to San Diego and other big cons, let alone have a few grand to buy more books with at each convention. Not to mention all my Ebay purchases as well. I rely on this hobby to support this hobby for me. Without CGC, CGG, flipping and all that, you would not seem me at the cons, and you would not see me buying anything over $25 on Ebay. I can and will take advantage of any trend or marketing tool that I have at my disposal to achieve these goals. That does not mean doing anything unethical or dishonest, but it does mean I will take full advantage of trends and fads. Stock up on ASM #129 for a year before the Punisher movie to then sell the two months before the opening? You bet. Take advantage of the price hike created by all comic-related movies? Yup. Pull out a book to sell that has been accumulating dust because the artist or character has just become hot? You bet. Sell my 9.6 amd 9.8 ASM #300s for WAY more than they are really worth? You bet. Take advantage of all ridiculous prices paid for 9.6 and up CGC graded books? Sure thing. Take advantage of the fact that selling slabbed CGG books can bring in higher bids than selling raw? OK, I do that too. Buy a lot of 300 books for $500 and then sell them in smaller lots for a total of $1,200 (and do this dozens of times)? OK, got me again.

Geez, trying to make a part time job out of selling comics must be immoral or something as I am just taking advantage of all the poor innocent comic buyers out there that have no idea what they are doing and let guys like me take their money for comics that I am making a profit on. foreheadslap.gif

----Sid

Sid,

When you put it that way, you sound like a real b a s t a r d.

Love,

FFB 27_laughing.gif

sid,

you have to realise in advance to posting this thread in a PRO CGC forum that this is going to happen. foreheadslap.gif some things are better left in the closet, gossip.gif i for one was dumbfounded when you started this thread. confused-smiley-013.gif

sp

BG,

If *any slab is better than selling them raw* is what you're after, I may have a better alternative.

I have several CGG slabs that I cracked without breaking the posts.

I can send them to you and you can slide your book in the inner well, and use your home printer to make your own label for whatever grade you think would sell the best.

Then put the well back in the slab and reseal the corners.

Believe me. I've done it to see what it looks like.

It's near impossible to tell it's a home slab job.

Instant money. thumbsup2.gif [/quote

S C R E W You

Just a few things. There's nothing wrong with 'just trying to make money' in this hobby. There are tons of buyers who could give a rats you know what about a specific comic book and are only interested in flipping it to make a few bucks. There are dealers and collectors who don't read comics anymore. I haven't read a new comic in over a decade. All the stuff I collect, I read in my youth and am re-buying now to keep. If people are willing to voluntarily pay for the merchandise Sid has for sale, what the hell is the problem? Has he robbed someone? Has he ripped someone off? Does he shill his own auctions or fleece others on this board? From all accounts, he's a responsible dealer who is honest and gives a fair deal to his customers. Now he's evil incarnate because he's using CGG? Give me a break.

Blow me you [!@#%^&^] tool. Make sure you wipe your lipstick off first.

I'm sure not, but if I was. Guess where I'd be sending them. CGC! I'd prefer to know that my books are UNRESTORED, not in PVC slab, and deal with a company that ISN'T doing shady business. There are things more important then money.

Brian

Blow me you [!@#%^&^] tool. Make sure you wipe your lipstick off first.

Remember how a few days ago I said that I hadn't seen you say anything mean in a while? It looks like you were just allowing the pressure to build before the big blowup. You are in rare form since BellaDonna came here. 27_laughing.gif

I'm sure not, but if I was. Guess where I'd be sending them. CGC! I'd prefer to know that my books are UNRESTORED, not in PVC slab, and deal with a company that ISN'T doing shady business. There are things more important then money.

Brian

Such as strippers.

Just as an example. confused-smiley-013.gif

sid,

you have to realise in advance to posting this thread in a PRO CGC forum that this is going to happen. foreheadslap.gif some things are better left in the closet, gossip.gif i for one was dumbfounded when you started this thread. confused-smiley-013.gif

sp

Supa, I understand that. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it was just another idea that I had to try to get through to CGC that their turnaround times are really causing problems for many of their customers. Otherwise I would have kept quiet. ----Sid

----Sid

okay now define the term "comic speculator".

foreheadslap.gifoh wait you already did. flowerred.gif

Sid,

When you put it that way, you sound like a real b a s t a r d.

Love,

FFB 27_laughing.gif

Scott, hey, I am just being up front about what just about evey other dealer is doing who tries to make short term profits off of trends. Should I try another method? Do you have one that works better than this? -----Sid