• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Commissions-You-Are-Waiting-For Thread

117 posts in this topic

With so much feedback about different artists and commissions covering good and bad experiences, I'd like to start a thread about what commissions you guys are waiting for.

At least we also know who artists are great in updating their clients. So we can start with the order date of your commission, the type of commission you asked for, expected completion date, and in-progress pics if any. Also a nice backstory about why you chose that commission would be appreciated.

Let me start with mine.

I was born October 1977 so I am seeking out covers with that date, but it is near impossible with the sky-high prices those would command. Instead, I try to find the original artist and then commission him. I started with Flash 254, recreated by the original cover inker Joe Rubinstein. I already posted about it previously: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=890565&GSub=122143

Being a DC guy, I found JLA 147 which is a great issue. It features the JLA with the JSA and LSH. And here is the original cover:

sJLA_147-00.jpg

I wasn't a big fan of this cover and my research shows it was only attributed to Dillin. However, the interior page was by Dillin and inked by Frank McLaughlin:

sJLA_147-05.jpg

Now this is what I wanted to make into the cover! Since Frank is still doing commissions, I thought about having him re-create the page and make it into an alternate cover. I also found this nice interview with his describing how it was to work with Dillin: http://www.jlasatellite.com/2008/06/jla-satellite-interview-with-frank.html

This is his work so far:

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-02.jpg

Artist posing with his work in progress. And now I realize this art his huge!

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-01.jpg

Up close view of the work in progress. Now this is a better cover than the original in my opinion!

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-03.jpg

Logos are all hand drawn! And he put 1977 below October to indicate my birthyear which was not on the original cover. Pretty thoughtful of him!

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-04.jpg

Refinements to the fingernails make them more realistic, and Superman's head is more prominent by facing more forward compared to the original.

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-05.jpg

Inking by brush, very old school by a dying art in this digital age.

Most of Frank's peers have left us and given his age and years in the industry, it is safe to respectfully say that he is in the twilight of his illustrious career. So to have a commission from Frank is really something special.

I can't wait for the finished product. I commissioned Frank to do this around two weeks ago and it should be done within the week.

So to everyone else, what commissions are in the pipeline? I'd be interested to hear your stories.

I prefer to get my commissions done on Marvel Blank Covers, so I have a few covers I'm waiting to get back from artist.

Currently waiting on

Pete Woods- Asked him to do Spider-Man on a blank cover

Ron Frenz-Green Goblin on a blank cover

Mike Zeck-Through a Sketch opp over on the Signature Room forum, asked him to do Kraven

Nick Bradshaw-Asked him to do Spider-Man & MJ on a blank cover

I quickly learned in this hobby that patience is a must. So hopefully I'll have all those with in the next 2-3 months.

Check out my CAF gallery to see my slowly building original art collection.

I prefer to get my commissions done on Marvel Blank Covers, so I have a few covers I'm waiting to get back from artist.

Currently waiting on

Mike Zeck-Through a Sketch opp over on the Signature Room forum, asked him to do Kraven

I quickly learned in this hobby that patience is a must. So hopefully I'll have all those with in the next 2-3 months.

For these commissions you are waiting on, can you more or less post when you sent it to them, and when is the expected delivery date they promised?

Ron Frenz in the works: New Warriors w/ Night Thrasher, 2 other members of his choice all fighting Juggernaught. He introduced NW in Thor 411 as they battled Juggy.

I sent this request to Scott over at Catskillscomics.com back on June 7. He said it will take about a month or two.

Eventually, I want to get Mark Bagley to add to this piece with the other 3 New Warriors fighting Terrax. New Warriors #1 had the team fighting Terrax for the first time. I know Bagley is busy at the moment. But I can wait.

Currently waiting on

For these commissions you are waiting on, can you more or less post when you sent it to them, and when is the expected delivery date they promised?

Pete Woods- Sent a blank cover to his rep in the Begining of Feb 2012, no idea when I can expect it. But his rep has been really nice and responded to my inquireies. So it's not a big deal at all.

Ron Frenz, his rep got the blank cover in middle of June and told me it would be about a 2 month trun around time.

Nick Bradshaw, said per a Facebook message he'd try to get to it by the end of July.

Mike Zeck, it's a sketch opp from a fellow forum member so I would expect to have it back by October.

Currently waiting on

Love Frenz Green Goblin! Can't wait o see it! :popcorn:

You should make a distinction between commissions that money has been paid for and those where no money has yet changed hands.

I paid Teddy Kristiansen 10 years or so ago for The Shade in b/w. He responds occasionally, removes my comments on his blog, and generally promises the world and delivers nothing.

Seth Frail is on 6 or 7 months for a commission that was supposed to be done within a few weeks. He has made some promises and sent a very vague prelim, but now nothing comes back when I email him. He was paid immediately when I commissioned him, as he required.

Cully Hamner took 10 months for a piece promised to be done in a week. Then he put as much care into his packing as he does his customer service, and is got way bent up by the time it arrived today. yes, today.

nick Pitarra was taking advance requests for a New Orleans convention a few months ago (January?). The 2 pieces were supposed to be done then, but nada so far. He did do one, and sent me the scan, but he doesn't like how it came out and will do another. I told him fine, take his time if they will look BETTER than the one I saw, but maybe that was a mistake. :censored:

David Lapham took requests not too long ago and quoted someone else 6 weeks turnaround. It is about getting to be that time.

Darryl Banks and Ulises Farinas both have my pieces finished and I expect them in the mail any day now. Both are very professional and reply, eventually, to emails.

well, dat's mine. most of them at least.

Frank got 50%, but only when he was ready to start the commission.

Now it is done, I have photos which I will upload tomorrow.

Upon seeing pics of the completion, I have sent the remaining 50% and then the art will be shippin this way.

Let's see....commissions....

Nick Runge

Han Solo & ESB Bounty Hunters Trophy Wall.....just arrived, as promised and FAR beyond expectations. I am posting it tonight on my CAF. That was set up with Mike DeLeRee of NotSoNiceArt. Nick and Mike are real professionals and kept every promise and made me smile with a piece that might be the best I've ever gotten.

Chris Uminga

Stephen King's "IT" all clown, all day, Trophy Wall. Promised to be completed this week and picked up by a friend at SDCC. I haven't see a scan yet but based on Chris' other work it should be pretty sick.

Sam Keith

Yes, THAT Sam Keith. It should be done any time now. I am pretty excited. Details under wraps until I see it myself. Set up 60 days ago. Promised to be done right around now.

Craig Hamilton

Maximus from the Inhumans painted Trophy Wall. due several years ago. I've lost count of the time really. Maybe someday.

I've got a Ron Lim Spidey Vs Thanos coming up at this year SDCC.

I've also got a J. Scott Campbell Mary Jane that is close to being finished. It's been awhile but Scott has always been in contact with me. I've seen the pencils and waiting for the inks and colors next.

Lastly i'm on Paula Rivera's sketch list. Not sure where I'm at this but he doesn't take any money till he's ready to work on it.

Mike

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=157

Nick Runge

Han Solo & ESB Bounty Hunters Trophy Wall.....just arrived, as promised and FAR beyond expectations. I am posting it tonight on my CAF. That was set up with Mike DeLeRee of NotSoNiceArt. Nick and Mike are real professionals and kept every promise and made me smile with a piece that might be the best I've ever gotten.

Chris Uminga

Stephen King's "IT" all clown, all day, Trophy Wall. Promised to be completed this week and picked up by a friend at SDCC. I haven't see a scan yet but based on Chris' other work it should be pretty sick.

Sam Keith

Yes, THAT Sam Keith. It should be done any time now. I am pretty excited. Details under wraps until I see it myself. Set up 60 days ago. Promised to be done right around now.

Craig Hamilton

Maximus from the Inhumans painted Trophy Wall. due several years ago. I've lost count of the time really. Maybe someday.

Nick Runge's piece posted

Han Solo's Trophy Wall

Sam Keith

I've also got a J. Scott Campbell Mary Jane that is close to being finished. It's been awhile but Scott has always been in contact with me. I've seen the pencils and waiting for the inks and colors next.

I guess this is also a good thread to know which artists do commissions or how to get a hold of them.

I am excited for the Sam Kieth cover.

And I never even knew J.Scott Campbell does commissions. I think it is great communication that the artist shows the work in progress.

I am just starting to move into the commission collecting space. Like many I'm collecting on a budget so I don't think I would be able to get many commissions from big names for a while.

The current one I have going is going to be from Chrissie Zullo. The Baltimore Comic-Con is the one convention I go to and noticed that Chrissie would be there. I e-mailed her a few weeks ago to see what her pricing was and if she could do the commission at home and bring it to Baltimore. We decided on a Black Cat scene of her stealing a yeti figure (Chrissie has a thing for yetis). She didn't ask for any payment up front so we will see how it works.

I'm thinking about setting up another commission for Baltimore but I might not and look at buying some OA instead. Decisions Decisions.

I am just starting to move into the commission collecting space. Like many I'm collecting on a budget so I don't think I would be able to get many commissions from big names for a while.

The current one I have going is going to be from Chrissie Zullo. The Baltimore Comic-Con is the one convention I go to and noticed that Chrissie would be there. I e-mailed her a few weeks ago to see what her pricing was and if she could do the commission at home and bring it to Baltimore. We decided on a Black Cat scene of her stealing a yeti figure (Chrissie has a thing for yetis). She didn't ask for any payment up front so we will see how it works.

I'm thinking about setting up another commission for Baltimore but I might not and look at buying some OA instead. Decisions Decisions.

Chrissie is phenomenal and I've paid her for both my commissions upon completion.

Waiting on three years for Tom Nguyen. Half up front. I'm not too worried as I know where he lives.

Yes, you will have no worries with Chrissie Zullo, in either professionalism or quality of the finished art.

I got my Darryl Banks Thor vs Silver Surfer today and it is so wonderful. Much better than the scan. He is doing another for me right away! :news: After I gave him the idea and showed him the piece in the theme that he would be following - Doc vs Drac, last tackled (and killed) by Rudy Nebres - he emailed me twice to say how inspired he was by the Nebres piece and how excited he was to draw his own version. :banana:

Sam Keith

I guess this is also a good thread to know which artists do commissions or how to get a hold of them.

I am excited for the Sam Kieth cover.

And I never even knew J.Scott Campbell does commissions. I think it is great communication that the artist shows the work in progress.

Yep, I have a tall format commission from J. Scott Campbell that is about 50% done and has been for over two years now. I havent had any contact from Scott in about a year and a couple months. The only person I hear from is Cory, his brother. Still have my fingers crosses he gets back to it.

Here's an update from Frank, my art is done so all it has to do is be shipped to my forwarder who will take care of sending it to my country, so it will be a longer wait:

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-06.jpg

JLA-147-Recreation-Progress-07.jpg

Once I get the original commission, I will scan it myself and then post it in CAF, and maybe put a link up on the Commissions thread (for the completed ones of course).

This actually took pretty fast. I just checked my records, and I sent the 50% only last June 29.

--------------------

I have another commission with the great John Byrne. It is also going to be a birthday commission. Mr. Byrne will do a re-imagination of a comic where he did the interiors but not the cover from October 1977.

I am excited over this because Mr. Byrne is a true legend in every sense of the word. His rep confirmed my order last June 26, and he will inform me when Mr. Byrne is ready to start and I will send the payment his way.