• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Grail or Not?

37 posts in this topic

I feel that "Holy Grail" is often used too much in the OA community. Just go on CAF and look at the comments and all you'll see is "Holy Grail!!!" Sure there are pieces people never thought they'd ever get or pieces they've been searching years for, but does that really justify the term "Holy Grail"? Art that would be considered a holy grail would be the "Statue Of David" "Mona Lisa" or "Death Dealer 1" Sure people are excited when they get what they want but does that really mean it's a "Holy Grail" by definition? hm

It's definitely an overused term.

For me a piece of art that fit the description 'holy grail' would be one that I'd be willing to sell every other piece of art that I owned to obtain.

Holy grail is an over used term. I've been guilty of it as well in the past.

IMHO modern era art that you just bought off a dealer website shouldn't be considered a holy grail item.

It's all about the quest and nostalgia. Maybe the first comic you ever read.

Romain's Starlin cover IMHO qualifies as his grail based on his write up.

However, everyone has a different grail.

Cheers!

N.

I think most use the term for a personal piece that they covet. I think if a piece is in your top 5 or 10 must own, then Grail is a fair term to use.

If we want to be strict with the definition there could be only 1 holy grail and you would have a hard time getting everyone to agree what that 1 piece is. 2c

Art Holy Grails:

Action #1

Superman #1

Marvel Mystery #1

Carnival of Comics #1

first Superman sunday page

first Tracy, Flash Gordon (this one exists), Prince Valiant, Tarzan, Popeye, KKat

FF #1

Spidey #1

AF #15

any questions??

I am just amazed at how fickle collectors are... I read so many descriptions that say, no never for sale! Holy Grail, I'll sell my kid before this...

And then 2-3 months later their tastes change and it's up for sale....

I am sure a lot of it is the excitement of your new quarry, but I always find it amusing.

I also think that some collectors do it to hype up their stuff, and then they sell it 2 months later.....

So for hundreds of years there was only one grail (whether you considered it holy or not) then this hobby came along. For years even in this hobby it was understood a grail was almost unobtainable and of course there could be only one.

A grail is a piece you are so awestruck by that the thought of you being able to own it is just about unfathomable. If somehow you did manage though sheer luck to come into possession of your grail you'd be satisfied to stop collecting right then and there and spend the rest of your years in quiet contemplation of your grail never completely accepting you really do own it. In reality most collectors don't know of a piece that would mean that much to them.

People like being a part of something and when seeing the excitement around someone else getting a grail they want to experience the same. Kind of like every kid at a baseball game getting a participation trophy and everyone else getting excited about it. In case you haven't guessed I'm in the camp that thinks most pieces aren't grails and the term isn't just overused its misused by people that don't understand it.

I think when a collector proclaims their piece to be a "GRAIL" it's a bit self-indulgent and a tad boastful. It is getting to become more an "eye rolilng, finger nails on a chalkboard" type of term that garners more debates based on distain of the definition than praise of the piece, nowadays.

To me it's sort of like how, when in the 1990's, sports fans were critical of Deion Sanders creating his own nicknames like "Neon Deion" and "Prime Time" when, at the time most athletes earned their nicknames from the fans and sportswriters.

So, when a collector calls their own piece a "grail" it seems to have that same effect to certain people.

With that, if another fan or collector proclaims a piece in your collection as "a grail" then that's a really nice compliment and I think that's the way the term is probably better used out of courtesy and compliments rather than what sometimes to many appears to be a "look at me! aren't ya jealous?" sort of braggard way when collectors label their own pieces as "grails" (and when they add the word "Holy" that's just an obscene self-congradulatory add-on :) - - sort of like when a comedian once said "you know you're in bad shape when you're described as "morbidly obese" as if being "obese" just isn't fat enough to describe your condition!")

Instead, maybe just list the piece by name, simple factual description and creative (artists) credits, and let the community be the judge.

On the other hand, when a person states what piece is a "grail" to them in what they're pusuing (not yet owning) and is their dream piece, that's possibly a better use of the term as well.

I do think the term grail is overused. For me, I would consider something a true grail based on 2 characteristics: personal importance and how obtainable the piece is. It has to be a piece that is extremely important to me before I consider it a grail. There are many high end pages out there that I way out of my league but don't hold a strong personal relevance to me - those are not grails. The piece also has to be out of reach for the most part or possibly something I never thought I would be able to own - cost and availability are the primary drivers here for me. This has changed over time for me as my focus on art has grown over the last few years. My collecting budget for art was much lower in years past but I have focused my collecting habits more toward art so an item that was a grail to me years ago have now become a possibility. I have been able to secure grails relatively recently that I could not have in the past.

I am just amazed at how fickle collectors are... I read so many descriptions that say, no never for sale! Holy Grail, I'll sell my kid before this...

And then 2-3 months later their tastes change and it's up for sale....

I am sure a lot of it is the excitement of your new quarry, but I always find it amusing.

I also think that some collectors do it to hype up their stuff, and then they sell it 2 months later.....

Nothing makes me laugh harder than these "cry wolf" types. And what a waste of everyone's time that commented and congratulated on the piece. 99% of the people that throw this term around are mostly a part of the 'circle jerk' collector set. They like to get the "NEW PIECE", post about it to every forum they can think of, get in the center ring and have the compliments and back pats spewed forth. Once all of the love is spent they have to search out that new piece for the next thrill :roflmao:

You know the type. They put the page info, artist, writer, several adverbs, the president at the time of publication and HOLY GRAIL in the CAF title when posting it.

Yes, I know, real life gets in the way of art collecting. Anyone that knows me and has sold to me knows "time payments" is one of my favorite phrases. But, if it is a grail, can you at least hold on to it for 12 months? ???

OA collecting is to auto maintenance what eBay is to Grandma's health meh

I've got a holy grail in my collection and I haven't sold it, but cared for it. Yet, this board yelled at my piece. Oh well.

there you go folks.. someone here actually has a Holy Grail!

is it the Action #1 cover, or page 23 from the Smurfs #1

:makepoint:

Guest Reader
ps: I should add.. a "true" Holy Grail is an item that everyone can agree on

most of the rest are "Personal Grails"

Or we could just drop the Holy's, Personals, Major's and Minor's since a grail is a grail is a grail. We won't all agree on one true grail. I wouldn't care for the cover to Action Comics #1 if it popped up and I could afford it. Its just not something personal to me.

ps: I should add.. a "true" Holy Grail is an item that everyone can agree on

most of the rest are "Personal Grails"

Or we could just drop the Holy's, Personals, Major's and Minor's since a grail is a grail is a grail. We won't all agree on one true grail. I wouldn't care for the cover to Action Comics #1 if it popped up and I could afford it. Its just not something personal to me.

well said, I agree ... grail is a matter of perspective

The holy grail is the holy grail. There is no "this is my holy grail" and "that is your holy grail". Different legends have made different items the holy grail of their time but it was always only particular item. In american comic art collecting, it can be nothing other than Action #1. Who knows if it even exists but that is the holy grail. It is the most significant piece. It would be the most difficult to obtain and who knows if it even exists!

All that being said, I never get angry with people calling certain items their "holy grail. It just feels like half the time I don't know exactly what the person is trying to convey. Do they really mean they wouldn't sell it for ANY PRICE or they wouldn't trade it for ANY ITEM? I don't know. The term has been watered down but it isn't something we need to lose sleep over.

All that being said, I never get angry with people calling certain items their "holy grail. It just feels like half the time I don't know exactly what the person is trying to convey. Do they really mean they wouldn't sell it for ANY PRICE or they wouldn't trade it for ANY ITEM? I don't know. The term has been watered down but it isn't something we need to lose sleep over.

I agree.

The first half of your SIG LINE is certainly more upsetting to me :tonofbricks: