• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Folded Corner?

21 posts in this topic

If you have a comic where one of the corners has been folded over, is the correct move to fold it back into place, or leave it as it is?

I had a silver age comic where the back corner was folded and I tried to fold it back and the entire corner broke off. But, it looks weird to just keep the corner folded over.

Gheese, talk about non constructive discourse. The guy asks a serious question, and all he gets is snark?

(shrug)

No wonder the resto room is a ghost town.

I'm sure everyone at some point has wondered about unfolding, a folded corner. And unless you have unfolded several you may not know how they will react until it is too late.

Typically if a corner is heavily creased like a weak hinge, leave it alone unless you want a souvenir piece to carry around.

Coverstock can often withstand being unfolded more then interior pages, because interior pages are made of chraapy newsprint.

Thin SA covers being much more pissy then thicker GA.

All depends on the age of the fold, and the condition of the book.

It's a bummer, but it happens to everyone. Heck, I was reading an old SA book last night and the cover popped right off before I was even finished reading it. Went from a VG+ to a GD/VG just like that! :sorry:

I lost the corner of a Hawkman 7 last month while taking it out of the bag to see if the corner could be folded back over. It floated down as a perfect triangle the instant that the corner hit the air.

Anyone know what CGC does in this situation? Will they just slab the book with the corner folded?

My guess would be yes. I do not think they would run the risk of breaking off the corner by "unfolding" it. If it's a lower graded book, I doubt it will hurt the grade anymore than a CBC would.

Gheese, talk about non constructive discourse. The guy asks a serious question, and all he gets is snark?

(shrug)

I'm sure everyone at some point has wondered about unfolding, a folded corner. And unless you have unfolded several you may not know how they will react until it is too late.

Typically if a corner is heavily creased like a weak hinge, leave it alone unless you want a souvenir piece to carry around.

Coverstock can often withstand being unfolded more then interior pages, because interior pages are made of chraapy newsprint.

Thank you Ze-man for both a thoughtful answer and getting the discussion back to center.

Anyone know what CGC does in this situation? Will they just slab the book with the corner folded?

My guess would be yes. I do not think they would run the risk of breaking off the corner by "unfolding" it. If it's a lower graded book, I doubt it will hurt the grade anymore than a CBC would.

Agreed, but I think any age-related structural damage is going to be done by the page-counters. I've had books sent in intact, and returned with CFs (or worse yet) cover staples popped. :pullhair:

Agreed, but I think any age-related structural damage is going to be done by the page-counters. I've had books sent in intact, and returned with CFs (or worse yet) cover staples popped. :pullhair:

+1

I sent in a nice looking TOS 52 but it had a tan spine. The spine was intact when I sent it off....it came back with almost an entire split spine. I was angry about it because they shouldn't have opened the book up all the way...

I assume they don't open a 9.8 comic all the way to cause spine creases....why open a potentially compromised cover?

I think if you've got an issue with a book, you should enclose a note describing the situation and hopefully they'll take it under consideration.

I know if I sent in a book that was in decent shape and received a copy with a popped staple....I'd be more than pissed!

(shrug)

Thank you Ze-man for both a thoughtful answer and getting the discussion back to center.

Such is our Kenny. And indeed the "fold test" is an actual test for paper structural integrity (in test labs - NOT, hopefully, amoung collectors) where a piece is folded back and forth and the number of times it can be folded before separation is noted.

(shrug)

Even with an older, even brittle book you can do things to the paper that would help get the fold back over without the piece breaking offf (all the time).

(shrug)

Even with an older, even brittle book you can do things to the paper that would help get the fold back over without the piece breaking offf (all the time).

Well, what may be common knowledge to you and I, may not be to most everyone reading. :P

So in the interest of people not losing all the corners off their comics let's at least touch on what one of those things may be.

Introducing moisture to the hinge line before unfolding it is the best way to allow the fold to unfold without stressing the crease further. Be it through taking a damp q tip,or even your lighlty damp finger and running it along the hinge line. Then once the crease is slightly damp it allows for the paper to be unfolded and dried flat.

Being careful of course to not get the paper too wet, or being too aggressive when unfolding the corner. Or how you may blot the area as it dries.

This is of course just a basic cliff note version of one way to skin a cat. But might allow for a few less corners being lost.