• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Dark Knight Rises vs Amazing Spider-man

134 posts in this topic

I think it's pretty safe to say the movie is going to review pretty well based on everything we've seen to this point.

Can't really tell if it's going to come close to "Dark Knight" or even "Batman Begins" levels of praise yet though--the early reviews are almost always positive if it's a halfway-decent flick. I think the first ten or twenty reviews for Amazing Spider-Man were at 91%, but it fell after the non-early-bird reviews poured in.

I think it's pretty safe to say the movie is going to review pretty well based on everything we've seen to this point.

Can't really tell if it's going to come close to "Dark Knight" or even "Batman Begins" levels of praise yet though--the early reviews are almost always positive if it's a halfway-decent flick. I think the first ten or twenty reviews for Amazing Spider-Man were at 91%, but it fell after the non-early-bird reviews poured in.

Not talking about just the early reviews on RT, the level of praise that real critics have laid out on the film before the embargo was lifted was a pretty big sign this movie was going to review very well.

Yea the reviews so far are placing it below "The Dark Knight," which makes one wonder how it compares to "Batman Begins". If it's at least as good as that, then that's great. (worship) MRQE.com has Begins and Knight at 81 and 89 respectively, both of which are extremely high scores. They compute scores from the absolute quality of critic reviews and not just whether or not a reviewer liked it as Rotten Tomatoes does. Critics never rank superhero films as high as they do art films, so MRQE rarely ever shows a superhero film above 80--if they put Rises at 80 or above, that's a damn good film right there. :wishluck: The only Marvel movie they've calculated from critic scores as being above 80% is "Spider-Man 2" at 83.

The first negative review just came through--current Rotten Tomatoes tally is 19 positive, 1 negative. Just as was the case when people posted negative reviews on "The Dark Knight" when it was originally in the high 90s, people are bashing the critic who posted that negative like mad already. lol His review of both "Rises" and "The Dark Knight" do seem a bit biased--he didn't like either and feels a self-conscious need to bash the majority who do. (shrug)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/comments/?reviewid=2095667

Guest Reader
The first negative review just came through--current Rotten Tomatoes tally is 19 positive, 1 negative. Just as was the case when people posted negative reviews on "The Dark Knight" when it was originally in the high 90s, people are bashing the critic who posted that negative like mad already. lol His review of both "Rises" and "The Dark Knight" do seem a bit biased--he didn't like either and feels a self-conscious need to bash the majority who do. (shrug)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight_rises/comments/?reviewid=2095667

I like the responses:

Carson D on 07-16-2012 08:49 AM

This is the critic rottentomatoes deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll flame him. Because he can take it.

I like the responses:

This is the critic rottentomatoes deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll flame him. Because he can take it.

:roflmao::applause:

I like the responses:

lol

It's impossible not to have this happen as there are some who have biases against Super Hero movies or Nolan movies in general and won't give it a positive review regardless.

More telling I think so far then the % is that it's sitting at 9.0/10 as an average rating and it's at 88/100 on Metacritic after 8 reviews.

it's at 88/100 on Metacritic after 8 reviews.

Ah, cool, they appear to tally like MRQE does, but they update faster--MRQE hasn't updated for most of the day. I use MetaCritic for game reviews but until now haven't even looked at their movie reviews. I find this type of scoring system to be far more indicative of absolute quality than the Rotten Tomatoes method of scoring, which is better for determining whether or not you're likely to simply enjoy a film or not, which is useful for deciding whether or not to see something just for entertainment's sake but less useful for comparing the quality of films to each other. Rotten Tomatoes should use two scores--one with positive/negative like they currently do and a second that indicates the overall quality of a film like MetaCritic and MRQE do.

I like the responses:

lol

lol lol

The second negative just went up--and the guy who did it hasn't even seen the film, he gave it a negative review specifically to people off on Rotten Tomatoes. doh! This is just pure sleaziness--like Armond White, he knows that negative reviews on good films will make him stand out, so he's doing it solely for the attention. I guess at least this guy isn't even trying to hide the fact that he's an attention whore--Armond White acts like he's a serious reviewer while going for attention grabs by intentionally trashing good films. :eyeroll:

http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/the-dark-knight-rises/