• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OSPG Official Thread 2012!

125 posts in this topic

i've set aside 3 hours for Doug Sulipa's marketplace report

lol

At least he puts some work into it. Given the lack of length and lack of content of some of the reports, I wonder why the person wrote it at all.

And speaking of market reports......I guess the boys at Overstreet must have lost Gator's report again because I can't seem to find it just like last year.

Probably a case of the dog ate it again! lol

Are there pics of the HC cover options?

:sumo:

Avengers or Catwoman.

Normally I prefer the Avengers but after looking at them the Art on the Catwoman cover blows the other one away.

Why does no one seem to care about the Hero Inititative Overstreet guide?

Well I don't because I've never heard of it or have no idea what it is.

Should I care?

:busy:

The Hero Initiative, which raises money for comic creators in need, has there own cover limited to 500 copies.

Its almost the exact same price as the normal version but all the profits go to creators in need. There is a sponsered link on the bottom of this and every other CGC Forum page that links you to there site! :)

Well, the simple answer to you initial question is that most collectors would indeed pick up the Hero Initiative copy of the price guide if it was readily available for them to buy. This Batman cover is definitely hundreds of times better than the standard Avengers cover and being available at the same price is a no-brainer for which version the collectors would be picking up.

By limiting them to only 500 copies and making them only available from their booth at the SDCC provides the simple and obvious answer to your question. :gossip:

If you're thinking 500 is too small a print run, you might be surprised to hear that a month ago Graham Crackers was selling the 41st OPG Hero Ed. HC for $10.

Avengers or Catwoman.

Normally I prefer the Avengers but after looking at them the Art on the Catwoman cover blows the other one away.

Should I care?

The Hero Initiative, which raises money for comic creators in need, has there own cover limited to 500 copies.

Its almost the exact same price as the normal version but all the profits go to creators in need. There is a sponsered link on the bottom of this and every other CGC Forum page that links you to there site! :)

Well, the simple answer to you initial question is that most collectors would indeed pick up the Hero Initiative copy of the price guide if it was readily available for them to buy. This Batman cover is definitely hundreds of times better than the standard Avengers cover and being available at the same price is a no-brainer for which version the collectors would be picking up.

By limiting them to only 500 copies and making them only available from their booth at the SDCC provides the simple and obvious answer to your question. :gossip:

If you're thinking 500 is too small a print run, you might be surprised to hear that a month ago Graham Crackers was selling the 41st OPG Hero Ed. HC for $10.

hm

Avengers or Catwoman.

Should I care?

hm

:ohnoez:

This kind of thing gets annoying after a while...so I'll hopefully sneak in early and get away with it. Can someone please post the new values on these two books:

AF #15 in 2.0

ASM #1 in 2.0

This kind of thing gets annoying after a while...so I'll hopefully sneak in early and get away with it. Can someone please post the new values on these two books:

AF #15 in 2.0

Zero change.

ASM #1 in 2.0

Up 3.95%.

(Nyah-Nyah! Made you get out your calculator!)

;)

Avengers or Catwoman.

Should I care?

Why would I be surprised at all that there are still copies of the Hero Initiative version of last year's guide still available for sale? I would only be surprised if there weren't any copies still available for sale due to the poor distribution strategy for this version of the guide.

As my previous comment had suggested and which I have now highlighted, the key to selling this version of the guide is ready availability. By limiting the sales of this version to only 1 small booth in the entire SDCC, this book is really not available for potential customers to buy. When I buy a copy of the OSPG, I expect to be able to pick it up at a reasonable price on the day that it's released at a location that is convenient to me. Unfortunately, having to fly down to San Diego, apyinf gor SDCC entrance fees and booking a hotel room means that it has failed 2 out of my 3 basic criteria for purchasing this version.

This year's version is the 3rd edition of the Hero Initiative and for all of the past 3 editions of the OS guide, I have felt that the Hero Initiative version has had the best cover and the one which I would have picked up if it was available to me. It has never been available in my LCS and also in no other comic shops which I have gone into. Potential customers such as myself should not have to scour the entire country after the fact if they want to pick up a copy of this version to support the Hero Initiative.

A much better distribution strategy if they want this version to sell out at the Retail level would be the following. Since the goal seems to be for Overstreet/Diamond to raise $17,500 ($35 x 500 copies) to support this initiative, a better idea would be to distribute something like 3,500 copies of this version to all of the LCS's, with $5 from each of these copies going to support the fund. This would raise the same amount of money and at the same time, make the copies avaialble to a larger customer base.

On second thought, maybe not such a good idea since most of the LCS's would simply see this as a variant edition of the guide and try to sell it to their customers for hundreds of dollars. lol Okay, maybe OS can do up and distribute 17,500 copies of this Hero Initiative version to all of the LCS's, with $1 from each of these copies going to support the fund. My bet is that you would have a virtual 100% sell-through at the retail level, more satisfied customers, and the Hero Initiative fund would be able to get all of their expected donations. hm

BTW: WTTB as it's always good to see new posters! (thumbs u

AF #15 in 2.0

Zero change.

ASM #1 in 2.0

Up 3.95%.

(Nyah-Nyah! Made you get out your calculator!)

;)

I hope you do realize that in all probablity that this info is of absolutely no use to the original poster since in all likelihood, he does not have a copy of the previous year's price guide. lol

I hope you do realize that in all probablity that this info is of absolutely no use to the original poster since in all likelihood, he does not have a copy of the previous year's price guide. lol

D'oh!

:facepalm:

$3500 and $1733. :gossip:

D'oh!

OK, so what's the REAL value then?

D'oh!

OK, so what's the REAL value then?

$35.00 and $17.33.

Recession.

easy to update the spreadsheet this year; probably 70% of the prices didn't change. 3.3% increase in total. only notable % increases: Tec #359 +43% and Bats #227 +40%. now time to dive into the market reports.

I am surprised at how much Tec #359 has jumped over the past year without an actual character appearance in the movie to provide a boost. lol

Avengers or Catwoman.

Should I care?

Why would I be surprised at all that there are still copies of the Hero Initiative version of last year's guide still available for sale? I would only be surprised if there weren't any copies still available for sale due to the poor distribution strategy for this version of the guide.

As my previous comment had suggested and which I have now highlighted, the key to selling this version of the guide is ready availability. By limiting the sales of this version to only 1 small booth in the entire SDCC, this book is really not available for potential customers to buy. When I buy a copy of the OSPG, I expect to be able to pick it up at a reasonable price on the day that it's released at a location that is convenient to me. Unfortunately, having to fly down to San Diego, apyinf gor SDCC entrance fees and booking a hotel room means that it has failed 2 out of my 3 basic criteria for purchasing this version.

This year's version is the 3rd edition of the Hero Initiative and for all of the past 3 editions of the OS guide, I have felt that the Hero Initiative version has had the best cover and the one which I would have picked up if it was available to me. It has never been available in my LCS and also in no other comic shops which I have gone into. Potential customers such as myself should not have to scour the entire country after the fact if they want to pick up a copy of this version to support the Hero Initiative.

A much better distribution strategy if they want this version to sell out at the Retail level would be the following. Since the goal seems to be for Overstreet/Diamond to raise $17,500 ($35 x 500 copies) to support this initiative, a better idea would be to distribute something like 3,500 copies of this version to all of the LCS's, with $5 from each of these copies going to support the fund. This would raise the same amount of money and at the same time, make the copies avaialble to a larger customer base.

On second thought, maybe not such a good idea since most of the LCS's would simply see this as a variant edition of the guide and try to sell it to their customers for hundreds of dollars. lol Okay, maybe OS can do up and distribute 17,500 copies of this Hero Initiative version to all of the LCS's, with $1 from each of these copies going to support the fund. My bet is that you would have a virtual 100% sell-through at the retail level, more satisfied customers, and the Hero Initiative fund would be able to get all of their expected donations. hm

BTW: WTTB as it's always good to see new posters! (thumbs u

Gotcha. I was only really commenting on the line "By limiting them to only 500 copies... " which I read as "they don't print enough copies, they sell out too fast". I see the way you meant it now.

When I buy a copy of the OSPG, I expect to be able to pick it up at a reasonable price on the day that it's released at a location that is convenient to me.

Ah, see, I didn't realize these were a requirement either. Understood.

Oh, and uh.... thanks for the wttb, but you can save it :)

I received an e-mail from Heritage today. They are offering a downloadable version for $30. It's in .pdc format, which means you'll only be able to view it on a single computer. Does anyone know if you will be able to print from this file, or is it read-only?

I've bought the downloadable version for two years and I print from it for easy reference for my most commonly bought titles.

btw, I got an offer from heritage to get the downloadable one for $18 since I bought it last year from them. woot.

I received an e-mail from Heritage today. They are offering a downloadable version for $30. It's in .pdc format, which means you'll only be able to view it on a single computer. Does anyone know if you will be able to print from this file, or is it read-only?

I've bought the downloadable version for two years and I print from it for easy reference for my most commonly bought titles.

btw, I got an offer from heritage to get the downloadable one for $18 since I bought it last year from them. woot.

I finally did confirm this with Scott at Heritage. I was assured it is definitely printable. I then had a problem actually completing my checkout with them. They're working on getting it to me somehow.

I agree with you--I wanted the Conan version last year but would've had to mail order it and then wait and I really don't want to wait when the new guide comes out. Even if I was at SDCC, I'd have to time it for the end of the day because who wants to carry that heavy thing around the show for hours?

Anyway, I'm in the camp that still looks forward to the new guide. Prices seem very stable and for stuff I happen to be grading I've only noticed incremental changes. Jimmy Olsen 4 up 5%, Forever People 1 goes down $1 in VF/NM, an FF Annual goes down $2, etc. I was surprised to see Vengeance of Bane up to $30--that counts as on top of things for Overstreet!

Btw, some really good articles this year and the always excellent war report too.

I finally did confirm this with Scott at Heritage. I was assured it is definitely printable. I then had a problem actually completing my checkout with them. They're working on getting it to me somehow.

You really would print the entire book out!! Seems like it would cost you more doing it that way and a pain in the arse keeping it in order.