• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any OA Reports from SDCC 2012?

159 posts in this topic

Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you like to be taken. Also, isn't swapping one of the fun aspects of the hobby?

He would have been better off just paying the cash price, for what he gave up. But maybe he was in a trading mood. Whatever the case, a major coup for Mike.

Did I miss what he traded? What are we talking about here?

Just because you're wealthy doesn't mean you like to be taken. Also, isn't swapping one of the fun aspects of the hobby?

He would have been better off just paying the cash price, for what he gave up. But maybe he was in a trading mood. Whatever the case, a major coup for Mike.

Dude, you'll never believe what he gave up. It was a-- oh wait, if I tell you, that would be gossip and Richard will yell at me. Really too bad since I've seen and heard so much.

Oh well.

:insane:

lol

Dude, you'll never believe what he gave up. It was a-- oh wait, if I tell you, that would be gossip and Richard will yell at me. Really too bad since I've seen and heard so much.

Oh well.

lol

Now now...no whining about gossiping. :baiting:

That would be a double whammy. lol

Oh well.

lol

Now now...no whining about gossiping. :baiting:

That would be a double whammy. lol

children children.

Just because you're not strapped for cash doesn't mean you're willing to pony up whatever dealers' are asking.

At some point we're going to hit a ceiling.

The consensus among people I've polled and spoken to at the Con is that, in many/most cases, the higher end OA is really being priced for trade. For example, let's say a dealer throws out a price of $100K for a good, but not great, cover. If someone stumps up $100K cash for it, great, but he's not really expecting to get it. What he's really expecting is to get, say, $120K+ in trade or cash/trade, some of which will be easier to monetize for cash, while the rest he can keep pyramiding higher through more favorable trades in a lather-rinse-repeat process. The more quickly the dealer can turn over his inventory in this fashion, the more paper profit he makes, and the more the market gets comfortable with the (inflated) prices, even if few of them are all-cash deals.

I'd really like to see how this strategy works if/when the market softens and both liquidity and sales volumes dry up. hm

People at the show - STEP UP, get some wall pics please!

I am not at the show, but have someone there helping me out who sent me these, low res but not too bad for someone who is not actually there

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Not sure why Ross would want to trade for the cover as he's not exactly strapped for cash. His wife scripted the Woman in Black movie, incidentally.

Just cause he's not strapped for cash, doesn't mean he wants to overpay...

Whereabouts did I say he wants to overpay?

And just because a dealer asks $100,000 for a piece of art doesn't mean he gets offered the full amount.

Thought this picture would be of interest.

or

563545_10150878103515834_1162228156_n.jpg

J. David Spurlock and J. Ross with Shield #3

Great Pic!

Take away the money and all the baggage this hobby can sometimes carry and that look on Jonathan's face is the best part of collecting. That's joy right there.

or

Great Pic!

Take away the money and all the baggage this hobby can sometimes carry and that look on Jonathan's face is the best part of collecting. That's joy right there.

It is a great cover that anyone ought to feel ecstatic to own/possess/caretake! :cloud9:

or

Great Pic!

I'm guessing that look on Jonathan's face is from looking straight at his wife . . .

or

Great Pic!

I'm guessing that look on Jonathan's face is from looking straight at his wife . . .

Nope, it's a different kind of look:

jane-goldman8d4006c000005dc-929_468x621.jpg