• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any OA Reports from SDCC 2012?

159 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to OA and although the selection was terrific, prices were truly mind boggling to me, even to someone who has followed the market loosely over the past couple of years.

One or two record prices (FF #55 and DKR/Miller) and anything that has a passing resemblance is seemingly now worth twice as much, it seems.

That happens in comics - you get an outlier sale and then prices increase for everyone that has one - generally, those oulier sales stay alone as outliers.

It's also a little disheartening as a new collector to find dealers buying art at a large auction only to immediately mark up and wait for their prices (I saw a few pieces that I had bid against in a recent Heritage auction) but I guess c'est la vie. I'll wait for the right pieces to fall into my hands rather than chase something that was almost within my reach.

I secured one piece that is special to me that helps fill a hole I've been wanting to fill for some time. Other than that, just window shopping from my end.

- I think you're about to see mcspidey anything get repriced big time after the upcoming heritage auction;

- I know what you mean about the immediate markup, I chalk that up to it being tough for oa dealers to get quality inventory

Here's the first of my two SDCC 2012 acquisitions, James Jean's cover for the Fables TPB Vol. 3, "Storybook Love". I had been hoping to find a JJ Fables example that I liked better than any of the ones I already had, and I knew that this was the one the moment I laid eyes on it - a large, gorgeous example that I can't wait to get framed and display. Many thanks to Mitch I. for the quick and painless transaction.

I'll post acquisition #2 after it is in hand. hm

Gene

128263.jpg.36062e18bf8948d4e1d83d44b23eddaa.jpg

- I know what you mean about the immediate markup, I chalk that up to it being tough for oa dealers to get quality inventory

That's an interesting perspective but it's also interesting to note that some inventory doesn't sell which again is very similar to comics in that some sellers just wait for the market to catch up to the book rather than drop the price.

I'm realizing very quickly that finding quality inventory just means having more money than the next person.

lol

+

:facepalm:

=

:cry:

Here's the first of my two SDCC 2012 acquisitions, James Jean's cover for the Fables TPB Vol. 3, "Storybook Love". I had been hoping to find a JJ Fables example that I liked better than any of the ones I already had, and I knew that this was the one the moment I laid eyes on it - a large, gorgeous example that I can't wait to get framed and display. Many thanks to Mitch I. for the quick and painless transaction.

Gene

Congrats, Gene. I've seen that one several times in person and it's certainly a beauty.

Gene

Wow. That's a great JJ piece, congrats!

That's an interesting perspective but it's also interesting to note that some inventory doesn't sell which again is very similar to comics in that some sellers just wait for the market to catch up to the book rather than drop the price.

I'm realizing very quickly that finding quality inventory just means having more money than the next person.

lol

+

:facepalm:

=

:cry:

Roy the flip side is that purchasers get ADD too and while it is true that you will pay more IF you want to be first, you will also see pieces get recycled for lower sums that the individual who made the first foray paid. The trick of course is that this does not happen all the time and depending on the piece sometimes you need to be first if you want to own it.

Gene

Hey Gene :hi: that is just an awesome piece congrats. Fables was the first series that I bought and read / am reading, entirely in TPB form and I absolutely love the covers. This one is definitely one of the my favs as well (they are all pretty awesome though) nice to see it in scan form and I'm sure it looks ten times better in person. :applause: (thumbs u

As in the past, I had a great time at the con. And, as an extra added benefit, I was able to pick up a piece of art that was on my target list.

When most people think of “Deadman” (if they do at all), I believe they think of Neal Adams. I had remembered reading those books fondly, but last year (at SDCC coincidentally), Neal had a stack of the 2001 slip case edition collecting the original stories. He did a nice head shot for me, and I’ve included a scan in my gallery. That encouraged me to reread the series, and made me recall why I thought it was so great. Boston Brand was murdered. He was a vain, angry, flawed human, and he didn’t get any better once he was murdered. Generally, not the best way to start a superhero career. And, that’s what made him so interesting. By the time the story line was resolved, it was time to let Deadman rest. But, DC eventually decided that they had kept things vague enough to keep the character around. In retrospect, they really didn’t have much of a choice. How do you get rid of him? Kill him off?

Deadman first appeared in DC’s Strange Adventures #205 in late 1967. He was created by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino. Neal Adams took over the art chores one issue later, and completed the 7 issue run. He also appeared in the Brave and the Bold, and some other books. And, although other artists have taken their run at Boston Brand over the years, it’s still Neal Adams that we remember. Under Neal’s hands (with stories by Jack Miller who took over from Drake after two issues), you really felt the anger, the anguish, and the need for revenge. I think that’s why some 40 years (and many other talented artists later), we still think of Neal when we think of Deadman.

Anyway, when Mitch announced that he was bringing a splash to San Diego this year, I made the Graphic Collectibles booth my first stop.

Please feel free to take a look at the splash to Strange Adventures #208, penciled and inked by Neal Adams.

Link: http://cafurl.com?i=18641

Ron

That's pretty boss, boss.

Thanks for all the kind comments on the JJ piece. Now for the second piece I picked up at the SDCC - Barry Windsor-Smith's cover to Conan the Barbarian #13! I didn't go to SDCC expecting to buy the cover (which I had been eyeing on and off for the past 2-3 years), but Albert offered it to me for what I felt was a fair & sensible price (not a 2012-style irrational exuberance price), and I'm glad we could make the deal happen at the show.

A BWS Conan cover had been at/near the top of my want list for some time, so I'm thrilled to finally acquire one, with a large image of Conan in action and practically leaping off the page to boot - enjoy!

Gene

128525.jpg.f3c3cfb9c82be48e07082178d1c39f6a.jpg