• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee ONLY signs his OWN stuff now?

96 posts in this topic

I obviously ment Highest Graded Star Wars #1 as that was the book I was selling, and I will update my listing to clarify that I am talking about #1.

Honestly, this is the last time I am going to post on this. It just makes me upset that my character gets called into question, and this person is going to all these lengths to try to ruin my eBay rating, and ultimately my eBay business simply because I did not sell him the item at the price he wanted. Please feel free to go get your own copy somewhere, and if you can get Stan Lee to sign it, great! I am not trying to force or trick someone into buying my item; I don’t even really want to sell it. The price range that I have it listed at is just the price I am comfortable letting it go for as I really like the item.

HE REALLY DOESN’T WANT TO SELL IT???? He’s had it less than a month. The book that sold for $610, he bought it from Platinumcomix. (Check the serial #) Now, let’s look at the timeline. And please correct me if I’m wrong. The book sold June 24, 2012. He listed it on June 28, 2012.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-SS-SIGNATURE-SERIES-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-1977-/221050391306?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3377a14b0a

I obviously ment Highest Graded Star Wars #1 as that was the book I was selling, and I will update my listing to clarify that I am talking about #1.

Honestly, this is the last time I am going to post on this. It just makes me upset that my character gets called into question, and this person is going to all these lengths to try to ruin my eBay rating, and ultimately my eBay business simply because I did not sell him the item at the price he wanted. Please feel free to go get your own copy somewhere, and if you can get Stan Lee to sign it, great! I am not trying to force or trick someone into buying my item; I don’t even really want to sell it. The price range that I have it listed at is just the price I am comfortable letting it go for as I really like the item.

HE REALLY DOESN’T WANT TO SELL IT???? He’s had it less than a month. The book that sold for $610, he bought it from Platinumcomix. (Check the serial #) Now, let’s look at the timeline. And please correct me if I’m wrong. The book sold June 24, 2012. He listed it on June 28, 2012.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-1-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-SS-SIGNATURE-SERIES-SIGNED-STAN-LEE-1977-/221050391306?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3377a14b0a

Wow! Thank you my friend for finding this.

Yeah, that's the smoking gun right there.

Dealer buys book, dealer lists book for a higher price than what he paid.

Shocker doh!

Shocker doh!

Well, Mike, I know you've got books you don't want to sell and I know that in order to fulfill that goal you, um, don't try to sell them. lol

If it's true that the book was bought on a Sunday and put up for sale the next Thursday he may have had it in hand for 24 hours before listing it for sale, and perhaps didn't have it in hand yet at all.

Immediately putting a book up for sale is a very strange way to express one's desire to NOT sell something. Isn't it? lol

I have no problem with him selling it, no problem with asking whatever price he wants, I only have a problem with the exaggerations, contradictions, and stretches and contortions beyond simple enthusiasm that make him ripe and deserving of the occasional ribbing.

It's the same smarmy, huckster, snake oil rap that's been used to sell things since selling has been invented. "It's a family heirloom", " It's far too near and dear to ever sell ", blah blah blibbity blabbity blah.

I know you well enough to know that you've got a world renowned compostable_fertilizer detector it's got to be going off nonstop with this guy. If it's not it may be in need of repair. lol

I don't give hoot about this book...I just want to see the George Lucas book that has been discussed throughout the thread.....

I have it on good authority the Lucas SS Book has been cracked again and been brought to the tippity top of the Misty Mountains where the signature of all 9 Ring Wraiths are being sought. :wishluck: It's their first reunion tour in ages. :wishluck:

Then this truly would be "The Book of Power".

One Book to rule them all,

One Book for signing by them,

One Book to bring them all

and in an SS slab bind them

Shocker doh!

Well, Mike, I know you've got books you don't want to sell and I know that in order to fulfill that goal you, um, don't try to sell them. lol

If it's true that the book was bought on a Sunday and put up for sale the next Thursday he may have had it in hand for 24 hours before listing it for sale, and perhaps didn't have it in hand yet at all.

Immediately putting a book up for sale is a very strange way to express one's desire to NOT sell something. Isn't it? lol

I have no problem with him selling it, no problem with asking whatever price he wants, I only have a problem with the exaggerations, contradictions, and stretches and contortions beyond simple enthusiasm that make him ripe and deserving of the occasional ribbing.

It's the same smarmy, huckster, snake oil rap that's been used to sell things since selling has been invented. "It's a family heirloom", " It's far too near and dear to ever sell ", blah blah blibbity blabbity blah.

I know you well enough to know that you've got a world renowned compostable_fertilizer detector it's got to be going off nonstop with this guy. If it's not it may be in need of repair. lol

I've seen plenty of sales threads here on the boards that include the phrase "I really don't want to sell this book, but if you'll pay my nosebleed price I will".

Don't get me wrong here - I'm a firm believer in truth in advertising and this seller definitely has that carnival barker vibe going on. Which, honestly, doesn't set him that much apart from a lot of other high dollar sellers - I mean, for every Dale Roberts out there, there's a least two Crazy Eds.

And, yeah, his whole "I consilt [sic] for CGC and Stan Lee won't sign anything he hasn't worked on" is total b/s - which is probably why he didn't put any of that stuff in his auction listings.

This entire thread (and the other one started by the OP as well), however, feels like a rage-fueled witch-hunt brought about by the fact that the seller refused the OP's offer. It smacks of sour grapes from the OP's side, because, ultimately, if you hit the BIN on that auction I'm willing to bet cold hard cash that you're going to get exactly what's listed - a Star Wars #1 in CGC 9.8 SS that's signed by Stan Lee.

I'm going to be putting my Miracleman #1 CGC 9.8 Gold edition up for sale on eBay shortly - according to GPA, there's been exactly one other copy up for sale publicly, so in my listing I'm going to call the book "one of just 2 known copies". I have no way of knowing this to be 100% true as the gold editions aren't listed separately in the CGC census. But does this mean I'll be perpetrating a scam on the innocent populace? And how is this different than the seller's assumption that his book was the only Stan Lee SS copy in 9.8 because GPA showed just this single copy trading hands?

Selling deslabbed F/VF books as NM raw copies is a scam.

Selling restored books as unrestored is a scam.

Taking peoples' money and sending them a big pile of rocks is a scam.

Pricing your books higher than what you paid for them and doing your best to hype up the value is not - no matter how butthurt the OP is that the seller wouldn't accept his offer.

I see the listing has been revised. That's a good thing. The book is nice enough as it is, without the extra "juice".

I'm going to be putting my Miracleman #1 CGC 9.8 Gold edition up for sale on eBay shortly - according to GPA, there's been exactly one other copy up for sale publicly, so in my listing I'm going to call the book "one of just 2 known copies". I have no way of knowing this to be 100% true as the gold editions aren't listed separately in the CGC census. But does this mean I'll be perpetrating a scam on the innocent populace?

Of course not. There's a difference between "one of two known copies" and "THERE ARE ONLY 2 COPIES, and I CONSILT WITH CGC SO IT'S A LEAD PIPE STONE COLD FACT!!!!!"

Giving the information you have, and not crossing the line into hyperbole sets you apart from what we've seen in this "Stan Lee won't sign anything" stuff.

And how is this different than the seller's assumption that his book was the only Stan Lee SS copy in 9.8 because GPA showed just this single copy trading hands?

Selling deslabbed F/VF books as NM raw copies is a scam. (unless they are actually NM..YES)

Selling restored books as unrestored is a scam. (YES)

Taking peoples' money and sending them a big pile of rocks is scam. (YES)

I answered the latter questions in bold.

However, to answer the first part you really have to look at the exact language used.

Does the seller say, "This is the only Stan Lee SS copy I have seen" or does he say "This is the only Stan Lee SS copy." One is a statement of personal experience and the other is a statement of declaratory universal fact.

Taking limited GPA information and translating it into a self-serving conclusion not supported by any corroborating information or fact is not what I would call clear, transparent and direct relation of details. It's an opinion, formed on incomplete information, and passed off as fact to create the most favorable selling situation possible regardless of the potentiality that the assertion may be wrong.

I don't give hoot about this book...I just want to see the George Lucas book that has been discussed throughout the thread.....

I have it on good authority the Lucas SS Book has been cracked again and been brought to the tippity top of the Misty Mountains where the signature of all 9 Ring Wraiths are being sought. :wishluck: It's their first reunion tour in ages. :wishluck:

Then this truly would be "The Book of Power".

One Book to rule them all,

One Book for signing by them,

One Book to bring them all

and in an SS slab bind them

Not cool dude...I was drinking milk and it spilled all over my keyboard from my nose! :roflmao: That mess was funny as mess

Shocker doh!

I've seen plenty of sales threads here on the boards that include the phrase "I really don't want to sell this book, but if you'll pay my nosebleed price I will".

Don't get me wrong here - I'm a firm believer in truth in advertising and this seller definitely has that carnival barker vibe going on. Which, honestly, doesn't set him that much apart from a lot of other high dollar sellers - I mean, for every Dale Roberts out there, there's a least two Crazy Eds.

And, yeah, his whole "I consilt [sic] for CGC and Stan Lee won't sign anything he hasn't worked on" is total b/s - which is probably why he didn't put any of that stuff in his auction listings.

This entire thread (and the other one started by the OP as well), however, feels like a rage-fueled witch-hunt brought about by the fact that the seller refused the OP's offer. It smacks of sour grapes from the OP's side, because, ultimately, if you hit the BIN on that auction I'm willing to bet cold hard cash that you're going to get exactly what's listed - a Star Wars #1 in CGC 9.8 SS that's signed by Stan Lee.

I'm going to be putting my Miracleman #1 CGC 9.8 Gold edition up for sale on eBay shortly - according to GPA, there's been exactly one other copy up for sale publicly, so in my listing I'm going to call the book "one of just 2 known copies". I have no way of knowing this to be 100% true as the gold editions aren't listed separately in the CGC census. But does this mean I'll be perpetrating a scam on the innocent populace? And how is this different than the seller's assumption that his book was the only Stan Lee SS copy in 9.8 because GPA showed just this single copy trading hands?

Selling deslabbed F/VF books as NM raw copies is a scam.

Selling restored books as unrestored is a scam.

Taking peoples' money and sending them a big pile of rocks is a scam.

Pricing your books higher than what you paid for them and doing your best to hype up the value is not - no matter how butthurt the OP is that the seller wouldn't accept his offer.

Just for the record I started this thread due to what BS the seller sent me via email. NOT because he refused my offer. I have PLENTY of SW CGC SS books with Stan's sig on it and this book sure as hell isn't the holy grail of SW books. We all know getting this grade of a SW book signed by Stan isn't impossible.

I appreciate all of you on here who have helped me and have sold me some of your books.

Now, if we could only see this mysterious George Lucas book the seller claims to have located.