• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3/4" - 1" tear on Splash Page

5 posts in this topic

How much of an impact would a 3/4" to 1" tear on the splash page have on the grade of a book? I found a Hero for Hire #1 which looks to be a 9.0 sans the tear on the splash page for $50. It is on the right margin going from the edge almost horizontal. Thanks in advance.

Here's an example that will help--back in 2003 I saw an ASM #6 that CGC graded a Qualified 9.4 due to a 1" tear through six interior pages. Once the owner realized that the CGC Qualified grade was negatively affecting his ability to sell the book for full price, he resubmitted it to CGC to have them deduct for the defect. They gave it a 9.2 Universal after the resubmission.

I doubt that they downgrade for your tear at all at the 9.0 level. If it were a 9.8, it might be enough to knock it down to a 9.6, but below the 9.x nosebleed levels, I doubt a small tear on a single page gets a deduction.