• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neil Gaiman announces new Sandman!! woohoo!

35 posts in this topic

Yeah, it may get a bump if the series gets going but usually the prices don't necessarily rise but the books will sell better than they would before. The prices don't usually rise because an announcement like this pulls a lot of books back into the market. Low supply and low demand results in static prices and low volume moving. High supply and high demand also results in static prices but the volume is higher. So, the good news is that these books will probably sell, when before they would sit. The bad news is that there are a lot of people with stashes of these books and that should be sufficient to satisfy market demand without much of a price run-up. The exception is with things that are in low supply, i.e. items that are truly rare. Those will increase in price.

Yeah, it may get a bump if the series gets going but usually the prices don't necessarily rise but the books will sell better than they would before. The prices don't usually rise because an announcement like this pulls a lot of books back into the market. Low supply and low demand results in static prices and low volume moving. High supply and high demand also results in static prices but the volume is higher. So, the good news is that these books will probably sell, when before they would sit. The bad news is that there are a lot of people with stashes of these books and that should be sufficient to satisfy market demand without much of a price run-up. The exception is with things that are in low supply, i.e. items that are truly rare. Those will increase in price.

He's doing a mini-series, though - if Gaiman was doing a regular, monthly series I could see it affecting sales of the original Sandman, but he's not.

Thanks for the answers.

Well, I looked into another box and I found more. I now actually have 1-31 in NM condition , except #23. Unless that's somewhere I haven't looked yet.

Someone asked for a pic and at this time I only scanned #1, but this is it. I can scan more

Sandman1_Fnt.jpg Sandman1_Bck.jpg

That announcement will make a lot of people happy! I'll admit that I never got into these originally. I may have read a couple and thought it was too confusing or something. There seemed to be a lot of different ones out there, I could never figure out which ones to start with.

#1 would be a good start!

^^

=) Yeah, obviously! I could never figure out what I was looking at though. I would see something sandman and I couldn't tell if it was a new regular issue, or a collected trade, or a different story-line altogether, that kind of thing.

i would like to read this epic title. never have. not interested in monetary value. Prefer the hardcover format to paperbacks for everything.

that being said, it looks like there are no HC's made, other then those overly huge in size omnibus volumes. is this true?

am i going to be forced to pick up the 10 TPB's in order to read the series?

That announcement will make a lot of people happy! I'll admit that I never got into these originally. I may have read a couple and thought it was too confusing or something. There seemed to be a lot of different ones out there, I could never figure out which ones to start with.

#1 would be a good start!

^^

=) Yeah, obviously! I could never figure out what I was looking at though. I would see something sandman and I couldn't tell if it was a new regular issue, or a collected trade, or a different story-line altogether, that kind of thing.

Ah, that makes more sense, then. The regular Sandman series ran for 75 issues (+ 1 Special), but the first 31 issues and the special were later reprinted under the Essential Vertigo: Sandman banner. The series has been collected into 10 trade paperbacks of which the first is called "Sandman Vol 1: Preludes and Nocturnes" - it reprints issue 1 through 8.

Unlike other more sequential trade paperbacks, the Sandman TPBs collect full storylines - so the number of issues collected in a trade varies from volume to volume. One thing I've noticed that seems really puzzling to new readers is issues 41 through 49 - this is the entire "Brief Lives" storyline and features the numbers 1 through 9 prominently on the covers. People confuse those numbers with issue numbers all the time - even though they're actually meant to illustrate that you're reading "part 1", "part 2", etc of Brief Lives.

If you want to pick up a full 1-75 set it's going to cost you around $200, depending on condition - so if you're just looking to read the series, buying the TPBs would be cheaper. The trades have been pretty much continuously in print since the early 90s (they're one of DC's all-time top TPB sellers), so they are very easy to find both new & used.

i would like to read this epic title. never have. not interested in monetary value. Prefer the hardcover format to paperbacks for everything.

that being said, it looks like there are no HC's made, other then those overly huge in size omnibus volumes. is this true?

am i going to be forced to pick up the 10 TPB's in order to read the series?

There were some hard covers made but they were just repeats of the many trades already published. No other omnibus types are available to my knowledge besides the over sized editions.

My favorite issues tended to be stand-alones. Don't recall if # 1 fits that category, but other reallly good stories were 8, 10, 18, 19, 30, 38, 50, 53, and 55.

# 38 was the first issue I ever read; it came out the same month as Unity 0, and I thought both books were unlike anything else on the stands at the time.

# 38 was the first issue I ever read...

Me too. (thumbs u

You guys were lucky! My first one was #37 (the final part of "A Game Of You") and I couldn't make much sense of what was going on. ???

But it sure was fascinating :cloud9:

They are releasing an omnibus in November that I'm definitely grabbing. I think we'll see renewed interest in issue one now & that it will increase until the release of the prequel. I don't know that there will be a huge price increase but the key issues (1 & 8) should start to sell well.