• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing from outside U.S.A worthwhile ?

10 posts in this topic

Hi all

Just wondering if it is actually worth slabbing comics if one lives outside the USA.

I've got a number of very early appearances by the Legion of Super-Heroes that due to circumstances I am now looking to sell

Eg S/boy 86, 89 Action Comics 285, plus many other early Adventure Comics, Action Comics appearances.

I'd grade every book as at least a 9.0 There are no visible cover or inner defects, and in the main, the only defect in any of the books would be that some of them have off white pages.

Sure, I could put them for guide on ebay or w/e and they would all sell. But, they MAY sell for even more with a CGC sticker saying 9.something instead.

If I lived in USA, Canada, UK, I would have no hesitation in sending them off to be slabbed. But unfortunately I am thinking that here in Ukraine (Europe) the shipping to and back from CGC costs, plus grading costs, when added to the relative price of the comic itself might be too prohibitive in making a sale.

Any thoughts ??

It's probably not worth it unless you have mega key books or books that you are sure on the grades and the prices you will get for them.

I live in Australia so most of the slabs I grade are purely for my personal collection. I certainly couldn't make any money when you add shipping (send and return) on top of the grading fees. I can't comment on the actual books you own though as I'm unsure of the price you'll get on those.

Welcome to the Boards! (thumbs u

I live in Austria...and I found through the board here cool friends who are helping me out. For example holding books for me to build up a bigger package and ship it to me. So at least a can save some shipping costs.

Instead of 1 or 2 books for $45 shipping.

20-30 books for $120.

I'm sure you are going to find friends too!

In your case....if the books fit in your collection, then slab it,...if not...leave it.

I'm only sending books to the US, when I want to put a signature on it. The signature would compensate the cost of the shipping and makes the book more unique.

WTTB!!

I live in Austria...and I found through the board here cool friends who are helping me out. For example holding books for me to build up a bigger package and ship it to me. So at least a can save some shipping costs.

20-30 books for $120.

In your case....if the books fit in your collection, then slab it,...if not...leave it.

I'm only sending books to the US, when I want to put a signature on it. The signature would compensate the cost of the shipping and makes the book more unique.

WTTB!!

Yes I agree. If you're going to slab a few books throughout the year, you're better off saving them up and getting them done in a lot of 20+ in one submission.

BTW naits. These books that you sent... They weren't Batman books by any chance were they? lol

Well I will have to send at least 1 to slab, as it is the key Adventure 247 1st Legion appearance.

Not a fantastically high grade unlike my others unfortunately, but not being a grading expert I don't really know the correct grade (would probably put it at a VG myself) and since for such a key book even a .5 grade difference can mean a lot, it definitely needs a slab come selling time since generally speaking for key books the buyer inevitably wants to be sure of the exact grade for their dollars.

Cost effective wise, would 30 books be the best to send for slabbing ? If so I will eventually choose my 30 best in terms of grade and guide price and see what happens.

20-30 books for $120.

WTTB!!

Yes I agree. If you're going to slab a few books throughout the year, you're better off saving them up and getting them done in a lot of 20+ in one submission.

BTW naits. These books that you sent... They weren't Batman books by any chance were they? lol

Bat....who? Batman books? I have no Batman books. =D

Well I will have to send at least 1 to slab, as it is the key Adventure 247 1st Legion appearance.

Not a fantastically high grade unlike my others unfortunately, but not being a grading expert I don't really know the correct grade (would probably put it at a VG myself) and since for such a key book even a .5 grade difference can mean a lot, it definitely needs a slab come selling time since generally speaking for key books the buyer inevitably wants to be sure of the exact grade for their dollars.

Cost effective wise, would 30 books be the best to send for slabbing ? If so I will eventually choose my 30 best in terms of grade and guide price and see what happens.

If you can scan it and post pictures in this forum, the guys here can give you an idea of approximately what grade you can expect. That may help you judge to see if you want to send it to CGC or not.

Just start a new thread there and post your pics.

Welcome to the boards from a fellow Legion fan. (thumbs u