• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is being a geek the hip thing to do?

47 posts in this topic

Not that this is the first time this topic has come to my mind. Just contemplating the G4 TV coverage of SDCC. After watching celebrity guest after famous celebrity guest talking about what a nerd or geek they are or were, it got me thinking. Is casting yourself as a geek the safest way nowadays to show how outside the mainstream you are?

Not trying to start a debate about who's a real geek. I just found it a little hard to believe that all the stars/creators/producers of comic movies and scifi series grew up being outcasts and/or consumers of geeky-credible books, shows, etc.

Thoughts?

Not trying to start a debate about who's a real geek. I just found it a little hard to believe that all the stars/creators/producers of comic movies and scifi series grew up being outcasts and/or consumers of geeky-credible books, shows, etc.

I can believe it. I'm sure there's a marketing angle to their claims, but that doesn't mean it isn't entirely true. A lot of people who grew up as "outcasts" flock to the arts to express themselves and get attention, and this can turn into careers in acting, writing, producing, etc... as adults.

Also, I know a lot of consumers of "geeky" stuff who you would never expect are "geeks". I don't exactly fit the stereotype myself.

Yeah, is the sad truth. I have to say, I graduated HS in 91, and the line between what the geeks have done vs. the non geeks is impressive. Music, film & art careers, vs.. not so much. I think the word is out & geek is hot :blush: That being said, it means we are set up for a fall :)

I can believe it. I'm sure there's a marketing angle to their claims, but that doesn't mean it isn't entirely true. A lot of people who grew up as "outcasts" flock to the arts to express themselves and get attention, and this can turn into careers in acting, writing, producing, etc... as adults.

Also, I know a lot of consumers of "geeky" stuff who you would never expect are "geeks". I don't exactly fit the stereotype myself.

while this is true, it is expanding what a geek is, and it ain't so bad.

I too watched some G4 coverage and was struck by two things:

1. It was a 3 hour long running commercial (that I still enjoyed).

2. There were subtle digs at the fans from the hosts and some of the celebs, on occasion. I still think a lot of them don't understand us, and I still think we are misrepresented.

I think we've gone from being ignored, and are currently sometimes mocked, albeit subtly, and have yet to reach acceptance.

It's coming.

Geek is very hip. I think Tycho or Gabe said it best in the documentary "Nerdcore Rising" when one of them expressed how nerds now "run mess."

There's some freedom to being an outcast that I think others do not get or appreciate. I think it allows for people to become more creative and traveled. I think this leads to greater success in the long run. So many kids who come from entitled situations have their lives planned for them at an early age.

The clash has always been between jocks and nerds. I played sports in high school, but I was one of the rare few that crossed the line. I think the clash still exists, and hardcore sports fanatics, people pursuing sports careers and most professional athletes consider anyone who can't or won't play sports to be a nerd or outcast. Unless professional athletes take a hair cut in pay and start getting paid minimum wage, the culture of multi-million dollar contracts, big bling and chick magnet will always look down on the geek culture.

Unless professional athletes take a hair cut in pay and start getting paid minimum wage, the culture of multi-million dollar contracts, big bling and chick magnet will always look down on the geek culture.

The irony in this is that so many of them end up doing reality television with millions of people laughing at their idiocy and ridiculousness, and they still think what they're doing is hip.

2. There were subtle digs at the fans from the hosts and some of the celebs, on occasion. I still think a lot of them don't understand us, and I still think we are misrepresented.

Very true. It's pretty clear that, for some, the current wave is a cash cow, and "geek chic" is way in which to cynically exploit the masses while snickering to their faces.

And those are the people that produce lousy films. The folks who are part of the club (Joss Whedon and Guillermo del Toro, I'm talking to you) more typically produce quality stuff and treat their audience with respect.

The jerks make Ghost Rider 2.

The clash has always been between jocks and nerds. I played sports in high school, but I was one of the rare few that crossed the line. I think the clash still exists, and hardcore sports fanatics, people pursuing sports careers and most professional athletes consider anyone who can't or won't play sports to be a nerd or outcast. Unless professional athletes take a hair cut in pay and start getting paid minimum wage, the culture of multi-million dollar contracts, big bling and chick magnet will always look down on the geek culture.

The jocks are becoming nerdier. Here are some recent NBA postgame press images:

Lebron & KevinDurant are the two biggest stars in the league right now. Lebron is probably one of the most recognizable atheletes in the world.

russell-westbrook-kevin-durant-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-glasses.jpg

Lebron & KevinDurant are the two biggest stars in the league right now. Lebron is probably one of the most recognizable atheletes in the world.

russell-westbrook-kevin-durant-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-glasses.jpg

I've always found that being yourself is the hip thing to do. And the older you get and the less harder you try - that is what makes you a chick magnet. When you try to look the part, you end up really sticking out. Like Urkel, Malcom X, JJ Walker and Martin Lawrence in the picture above. I have no idea who any of those guys are above, they're trying to look dorky, and not quite pulling it off.

Nerds are passionate about brainy, non-mainstream topics, whereas geeks are either socially or physically awkward. Nerds are hip because intelligence is hip, but geeks are not--awkwardness is just awkward. :eek: Nerds are often geeky, but they don't have to be...non-geeky nerds are hip to many people, although definitely not everyone.

I try not to be geeky, but I'm naturally nerdy (we almost all are here) and I don't try to change that.

Nerds are passionate about brainy, non-mainstream topics, whereas geeks are either socially or physically awkward. Nerds are hip because intelligence is hip, but geeks are not--awkwardness is just awkward. :eek: Nerds are often geeky, but they don't have to be...non-geeky nerds are hip to many people, although definitely not everyone.

I try not to be geeky, but I'm naturally nerdy (we almost all are here) and I don't try to change that.

Dude you always have the best gifs, proper cracked me up this one. :roflmao:

Oh yeah, I am a nerd! and proud of it :acclaim:

Actually, I've always thought it to be the exact opposite, that nerd had connotations of social awarkdness and geeky just meant having a certain typeset of interests.