• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got bad news from my LCS...

36 posts in this topic

They're closing up shop. :cry:

Multiple break-ins, faulty air conditioning, and inept management by the company that owns their storefront has led the owner to close up shop.

Owner told me his new store in Myrtle Beach has been doing so well that they could use the stock of comics and games there.

Sad times. I actually went in today to add books to my pull list. They were pulling games and DVD's off the shelves when I walked in.

I would be crushed if my LCS closed. I don't like changes to my routine and that would be a significant one...

+1

only one shop left in town I'd have to go out of town to get books which quite simply is just not practical with the amount of time/gas/$ that would take ...

I would be crushed if my LCS closed. I don't like changes to my routine and that would be a significant one...

+1

only one shop left in town I'd have to go out of town to get books which quite simply is just not practical with the amount of time/gas/$ that would take ...

With him gone his other two shops are the closest to me, and both are 45 minutes to an hour away. Just not worth it on a regular basis.

I had always kind of thought of their store as being more like a used game store that also sold comics. It was slowly turning into a comic book store that sold used games. He gave good money or store credit for trade ins of games or comics too.

Anyone got a good recommendation on a comic book subscription service? I'm hooked on Walking Dead now and can't give it up.

pm'd you

Anyone got a good recommendation on a comic book subscription service? I'm hooked on Walking Dead now and can't give it up.

DCBS

and kudos on the smiling Lovecraft avatar. I was thinking of doing just that when I saw that pic on FB.

That is terrible news. I could live without new comic books without even missing them for a second. But not being able to drop in at my LCS and talk with old friends and other fans would be a devastating loss to me.

You should have seen my 13 year old face when my two LCS's closed 16 years ago...heartbreaking, i pretty much was there from open to close during the summer. The nearest shop to me is 45 min away...while i love the store it just isn't practical with gas and all.

I have a card store that has comics and all but just no backissues and he only orders Marvel and DC.

Geez - local...

Mine is a walk 15 mins, train,tram,walk 15 mins and repeat all the way back.

Thats "local" for me!

Where are you in NC?

Whiteville. LCS owner has stores in Shallotte and Myrtle Beach.

Crazy thing is he's not closing because of slow sales. His store is always packed and popular. His used games are cheaper than Gamestop and he has a huge selection of used DVD's. He's closing because the manager of the shopping center where his store is is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He has struggled with the company he leases the storefront from because they refuse to repair the a/c. At the same time, his store is at the end of the shopping center and near a large brush field. Needless to say he struggles with break-ins. He had one the Thursday before Heroescon and I think it was the last straw.

I had been spending most of my lunch hours at his shop. I also had fun cherry picking his back issue boxes. Made over $200 on ebay the last two months from his backissue bins alone.

I appreciate all the input on a good online subscription service too. I really hate not supporting a local shop anymore, but even $6.95 shipping is cheaper than the gas to and from the nearest shop now.

Shallotte has a comic shop? Wow!

Yep. The store is called Player's Choice. Adam has always told me his Shallotte store does more video game sales than comic sales. His pullbox numbers and comic sales were always higher in Whiteville though.

Sorry to hear about your LCS closing, aggr1103. I guess driving to Myrtle Beach to go to Apocalypse Comics is probably too much of a hassel from you. I love that dude who runs that shop, though! lol!

If you're stuck with choosing an online subscription service, I would definitely go with DCBS.

Sorry to hear about your LCS closing, aggr1103. I guess driving to Myrtle Beach to go to Apocalypse Comics is probably too much of a hassel from you. I love that dude who runs that shop, though! lol!

If you're stuck with choosing an online subscription service, I would definitely go with DCBS.

Oh I know Chad. He's a great guy. I had my first pullbox with him when his store was in Longs. That was just a 30 minute drive and wasn't as big of a hassle. Now that he's further down 501 Beach traffic makes a trek to his store even longer.

+1

That's rather strange as your profile says that you are located in Vancouver, BC.!

Although there is only 1 comic shop left in downtown Vancouver, there are still several smaller comic shops left in the rest of the city and neighbouring municipalities. :gossip:

Sorry to hear about your LCS. That's a shame. I only have one up here where I live as well and unfortunately he rarely has any new issues on the shelf and wants a deposit for a pull box.

So I've been getting my subs through SciFi Genre. Give it a look.