• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Longest running comic shop in san francisco area?

10 posts in this topic

i remember a gentleman posted a few years ago about his shop that had started in the san fran area in the 80's and was still going. anyone remember it? if not, are there any still going that started in the 80's?

i was actually thinking of comic relief in berkeley (i always say san fran even if i mean berkeley). then it came to me after making this post.

i really wish i could find the post made here by the guy who owned the shop. i think he was celebrating 20+ years in business. and i don't think it was either of the stores mentioned in this post. i could be wrong tho.

Rory Root of Comic Relief in Berkeley died in 2008.

When that store failed some years later, it spawned two new comic stores in Berkeley, The Escapist and Fantastic Comics.

Fantastic Comics is actually backed by Erik Larsen of Image and Savage Dragon fame.

all the names i'm seeing don't ring a bell. i remember the guy made a post here in comic general that got a ton of replies. he had a blog (or something to that effect) i believe with a full background, and pictures. i think he started with a small shop out of the way in a mini mall, then moved at some point, if that helps. i wanna say 3 years ago he made the post here.

Lee's was the LCS when I was visiting Stanford in 1988. IIRC it's in Palo Alto rather than SF, unless there is (was?) more than one.

There's a Lee's Comics on eBay, which I assume is the same one.