• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20 Years Later: The Impact of Image Comics

14 posts in this topic

One positive, IMO, is that it gave a viable option for creators outside of the big two . Obviously, Dark Horse was another of those avenues. I think they lost sight of it for quite some time. But the last few years has been a return to it.

Secondly, it should be forcing Marvel and DC to re-think their strategies. Especially on super heroes. I'm not sure they have figured it out, but that day is quickly approaching.

Pat

I applaud Image for taking a different path to the comic collector wallet. My pull list has changed over the years and the big two barely have a presence. From my experience, Image was my gateway publisher to other small press and independent books. I honestly believe we wouldn't have such a diverse pool of comics it if weren't for Image (think, Cartoon Books, IDW, Top Cow, Onipress, Top Shelf, Boom Studios and so on).

I doubt Marvel or DC would have ever published The Walking Dead, Cursed Pirate Girl, Mouse Guard, or the Stuff of Legends. This is not an all inclusive list. To my point, I think Image helped pave the way for others.

Oh and I had an example of an Image book that was later published by Marvel and turned to : Image Powers versus Marvel (Icon) Powers (this is of course my opinion).

One positive, IMO, is that it gave a viable option for creators outside of the big two . Obviously, Dark Horse was another of those avenues. I think they lost sight of it for quite some time. But the last few years has been a return to it.

Secondly, it should be forcing Marvel and DC to re-think their strategies. Especially on super heroes. I'm not sure they have figured it out, but that day is quickly approaching.

Pat

True, but at least DC (Vertigo Imprint) publishes a broader range of non superhero material.

When I read a Previews catalogue, the Marvel book is 99% Marvel characters & universe, with maybe one or two books that fall outside of this.

Marvel are waayyyy behind in this respect and thats where Dark Horse & Image come in, clean up and give a more varied product.

I think Image Comics impact is remarkable in that the concept of Creator-Owned properties/characters, allowing the creative forces to become a larger part of the financial aspects of the business end, for the good and bad of it all, sometimes assuming risk and reward, opened the doors for many to take that leap of faith.

There's lots and lots of Image Comic books in the dollar, quarter or 10 or a buck bins, but there's also a lot which are remarkably hot, like The Walking Dead. Spawn, Savage Dragon, and Witchblade continue to be strong legacy titles with a large fan following.

Image paved the way for many talented artists (and writers) to become discovered and showcase their skills. Michael Turner, J. Scott Campbell, Joe Benitez, etc.

Spawned from Image are major publishers like Top Cow and Aspen comics.

Movies like "Wanted" and TV shows like "The Walking Dead"

I hope greater things are on the horizon for Image.

10% bad variant covers and Rob Liefeld

90% awesome. WD, Revival, ToT, Secret Mahatten Projects, TV Shows, Movies, Games, Toys, etc....

It took them a few years to mature and kick out the . Now they have a streamlined business model and can make a writer and artist rich over night with the right book. A better question would be "Where would we be now without Image"?