• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worthless books, what to do?

23 posts in this topic

Got a whole bunch of worthless books. Mostly mid-late 80s poop, New Universe, etc etc. I know they won't sell anywhere, eBay for instance. Curious what anyone else might have done to possibly get even the smallest amount of cash for stuff like this. I'd be happy ditching a long box of poop for $50, even less.

In the end I'd hate to toss them out, so even the "give them away" options anyone has used would be great. Sure some kid somewhere would love some free books.

$50 a box for that stuff!?! cloud9.gif27_laughing.gifsorry.gif (couldn't find an icon for "smoking crack") Try $10 a box.

I pull them from all of the collections I buy and give them away at Halloween. The kids love them. I especially love the 80s stuff for this. You can be fairly sure that it's "kid safe" (unlike the crape they are putting out today) and to kids of Trick-Or-Treating age this is "old stuff". They come from far and wide to visit the "guy who gives away comics". thumbsup2.gif

Give them out at Holloween instead of candy.

Take them to a children's hospital, they are bored and sad, comics will help.

Local orphanage......

angel.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey Borock, you are a moderator you know gossip.gif

Local orphanage......

angel.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I thought I was a Vice President and a grader 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Sorry sign-offtopic.gif

Lets get back to comics and helping kids! thumbsup2.gif

Local orphanage......

angel.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I thought I was a Vice President and a grader 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Sorry sign-offtopic.gif

Lets get back to comics and helping kids! thumbsup2.gif

sorry.gif

Just wanted to let you know for future post deleting and so on.

I believe you should give them away on Halloween or something like that, hopefully at least one kid will start collecting after reading a book you give them.

My Psi Force #1 is certainly CGC Ready!!!

Only reason I mentioned the $50 was a vague rememberance of someone here posting that they ditch their dregs to used book stores for a certain amount per box. No idea what that would be. Also don't know what sort of dregs those are. =)

One year I bought a long box of G/VG books from a guy at a yard sale. I didn't want to spend the time going through the box to see if there was anything I liked. So I bought the lot for $20. Ended up that there really wasn't much in their and what their was in the box was in low grade.

So ended up giving them out at Halloween. I gave each kid some candy and a couple comics. I of course went through them to make sure their was no Cherry Poptart books and such.

The next year I didn't have the comics to give away and just gave out candy. Surprisingly almost all the kids from the neighborhood asked if I was giving away comics again, because they loved that. Afetr speaking to a few of the parents of those kids I found out that they did indeed read them.

So that's what I would suggest. I have never used comics4kids nor donating to a hospital. Which also both seem like very good causes as well.

thumbsup2.gif

Yep. Halloween is the best.

The kids go nuts for the comics.

I have yet to see a kid object to a handfull of candy and a few comics when they stop by.

And you wouldn't believe the word of mouth. Kids have fantastic networking capabilities.

"Tommy said you give out comic books." 27_laughing.gif

Try it. You won't be disappointed.

thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

How could I have forgot that! 893frustrated.gif

I've got a ton of books to send, but they didn't respond to my e-mail inquiry? confused-smiley-013.gif

Ya know, Unity 0 Red, Harbinger 0 Pink, and other valiant material...

those were the issues I gave away at Halloween

I've got a ton of books to send, but they didn't respond to my e-mail inquiry?

If you need their address, it's:

Comics4kids

8120 199th Ave. Court East

Bonney Lake, Wa 98390

I've sent several boxes to them this year. They also accept TPBs, and Dale told me that they are working on building a "library" where kids can come there and read the books.

I have yet to see a kid object to a handfull of candy and a few comics when they stop by.

And you wouldn't believe the word of mouth. Kids have fantastic networking capabilities.

"Tommy said you give out comic books." 27_laughing.gif

Yeah.. that is until Darths son comes to your door..

As he scoffs at you as you hand him a Baddrock/Grifter comic..eggs your house.. and burns the Leifield comic on your doorstep in a towering pire of flaming poop.

He then goes on to tell all the kids on his block.. to boycott your house.. cause you are only giving out [!@#%^&^]. and until you start handing out CGC 5.0 key comics..(or better) they should egg your house till the paint falls off.

========================================================

I am only keeeding... 893applaud-thumb.gif..... just keeeding...

========================================================

But on a more serious note.. I too did this last year..( gave out comics at Halloween) and thought I gave out "Harmless, non offensive " comics.. but still made a few parents mad that I gave their kids comics.. as up to that point.. they did want their kids reading "trash"...( and for the record I mainly gave out comics to the kids who dressed up as a superhero type , boy or girl.. )

I was to say the least .. taken aback.. and shocked at the attitudes of a few of the "wealthy, and intelligent" people that inhabit my neighborhood.

While I did understand why some parents felt this way..

My innocent gesture of good comic will.. was a bit tainted.

But not diminished.. as a few kids I see around the block.. ask me if I have any more comic they can have.!!

So even though I meant well.. I did not take into account .. what I thought was ok.. perhaps some parents did not.

A valid point to consider... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And not to Hijack this thread.. but this is comic related in a way.. and I need to relay a story about my Nephew in-law.

I feel weird writing this.. but wtf.. it is for cause I feel stongly about..

(Warning a bit graphic in nature below)

My nephew in-law.......Evan.. I know him only fairly well..

This poor kid is about 13 years old.. was born with a cleft pallate ( a Bad one)

he has had about 5 surgeries so far

.I just found out..

Later this summer (early fall? not sure yet) he has to undergo the worst surgery yet... (it involves splitting his tounge.. breaking his upper jaw.. they are going to "split" his tounge.. and attach it to his upper lip.. and letting it graft/grow over a 3 weeks period, then cut his tounge.. and hope the graft grows to form a new area on his face.

Needless to say.. I cannot imagine what he will go through.

This kids is nails.... he is an undersized bundle of Tazmanian Devil energy whirlwind of a kid.

Smart as a whip.and loves Batman.Spiderman..etc.. and gameboy stuff.

And he repects his stuff.

But I could sense real fear in him for the first time since I have known him.

Even with all the other surgey stuff he has gone through to this point.

This surgery is not only cosmetic.. but neccesary for his proper breatihng and sinus stuff as an adult.

It is the "Big One"

And I can only imagine as a kid he will need some outlet to escape his hospital room..to escape as we all do in a way.... perhaps with comics..

I am trying to contact his local T.V. stations in his area.. Make a wish foundations type of thing.. and see if a few of his local sports heros could make a visit.

And yes.. I know there are probably kids in his hospital that are dying of Cancer.. and other terrible things..and I do feel for them.

But this is a kid I know.. and I want to try and let him know there is good in the world at this dark time... if I can.

So I am going to try and buy him.. some gameboy things he might like... send him box fulls of comics to read..relate to him what they are.. and introduce him to not only comic collecting (he already likes Basball cards).

But hopefully.. give him an outlet to focus on while he in undergoing this awful experience.

So why do I bring this up?

Well it is self serving of course..

I need the forums help .

When the time comes.. if anyone here can send me old readers.. trade paperbacks.. personal letters along with a favorite comic..toys... anything kewl.., appropriate for a 13 year old kid.

anything, I can send this kid while he is in the hospital...

This is for a kid who comes from a fairly poor family.. and does not expect much.

So I want to try and blow his socks off...

Even if I only manage to get him 1 box of stuff to go through.. I will feel in some way I helped him pass his "down time"

But my goal is to give him a vast resource or stuff to mess with .. and let him pick and choose what he wants to perhaps keep reading., or collecting.

And in some way for him to feel special... and cool.. thumbsup2.gif

So PM me if you think you might have something I can foward to him when the time comes..

Sorry for the long winded speech...I have debated many times even bringing this up here,as I did not want to step on comicsforkids.. and other such endeavours.

WOW.. did I ever get OT...

Back to your regularly scheduled programing........

27_laughing.gif.. did not mean to be a buzzkill..

Z

So PM me if you think you might have something I can foward to him when the time comes..

Sorry for the long winded speech...I have debated many times even bringing this up here,as I did not want to step on comicsforkids.. and other such endeavours.

WOW.. did I ever get OT...

Back to your regularly scheduled programing........

27_laughing.gif.. did not mean to be a buzzkill..

Z

Do you think he'd like Frank Miller Daredevil TPBs?

Do you think he'd like Frank Miller Daredevil TPBs?

I think he would flip for them.. as long as his mom doesnt read them ..lol