• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Update

206 posts in this topic

The big secret to submitting is that you submit books every month so that something is coming in every month. As with anything else it's all about cash flow and book flow.

Not everyone can be a BSD like Bob "Highgrade" Storms.

Do you think with all the modern new books being sent in that they actually open and check each page? Any 9.8s wouldn't be 9.8s if they had to thumb thru them.

Just check the covers and slab it, and they're getting rich doing it.

Why pay 500 bucks for a slabbed Harbinger #1? A 9.6 isn't good enough for 100.

Do you think with all the modern new books being sent in that they actually open and check each page? Any 9.8s wouldn't be 9.8s if they had to thumb thru them.

I believe they do check every page, at least briefly. It takes seconds, and if they did NOT do it, and got caught, it would hurt them badly. I am sure someone had tried to catch them by now, by submitting something with an obvious error to see if they would catch it. A junior grader could surely flip through the pages and then pass it on the senior graders so they could concentrate on the covers.

No, they just look at the covers and go from there. Jeez. Really, that's ridiculous even to suggest, dude. :facepalm:

No, they just look at the covers and go from there. Jeez. Really, that's ridiculous even to suggest, dude. :facepalm:

Not really.

"You claiming that it should only take 3 weeks is nonsense - it's a number you just plucked out of thin air, based on an irrelevant comparison with the auto industry. It would be like me saying "I can send this email to anywhere in the world instantly, so why doesn't the USPS offer instant package delivery?"

If you actually think it should take more than 3 weeks (120 working hours) to grade a comic book, you are a little mixed up. And you are putting way to much thought into their processes. They have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down, not in any way prepared for the business they have gotten in the last year or so. Combine that with all the specialty grading they have agreed to do (Boom to name one), and they can't handle the business. To think they are deliberately slowing down grading to keep prices up is ridiculous, when they are losing business daily from all the people who are NOT submitting because it takes too long.

One of our comparisons is nonsense, that's for sure! Either the one where actual people spend time doing something, or the one where something travels over the internet or is teleported.

They will have to get better or someone else will step in and get better for them. It can't possibly be too expensive to buy the few pieces of equipment required to do slabbing. It would cost more to do the PR to get it started.

In this bizarro world of yours, why limit yourself to 3 weeks? You said it yourself - it should only take 30 minutes for a comic book to go through the grading process, so why aren't you demanding that CGC offers a 1 day turnaround on every submitted book?

I believe they do check every page, at least briefly. It takes seconds, and if they did NOT do it, and got caught, it would hurt them badly. I am sure someone had tried to catch them by now, by submitting something with an obvious error to see if they would catch it. A junior grader could surely flip through the pages and then pass it on the senior graders so they could concentrate on the covers.

they do. i sent in a submission with one book that i purposely damaged. i tore one of the pages on the inside. not a big tear, 1/2 inch and it did not pass a prescreen for 9.8's. the cover looked crispy. i called and was told there was a tear.

Not really.

:o

they do. i sent in a submission with one book that i purposely damaged. i tore one of the pages on the inside. not a big tear, 1/2 inch and it did not pass a prescreen for 9.8's. the cover looked crispy. i called and was told there was a tear.

You should try slipping in a $100 bill. Maybe you'll get a better grade. :kidaround:

"You claiming that it should only take 3 weeks is nonsense - it's a number you just plucked out of thin air, based on an irrelevant comparison with the auto industry. It would be like me saying "I can send this email to anywhere in the world instantly, so why doesn't the USPS offer instant package delivery?"

If you actually think it should take more than 3 weeks (120 working hours) to grade a comic book, you are a little mixed up. And you are putting way to much thought into their processes. They have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down, not in any way prepared for the business they have gotten in the last year or so. Combine that with all the specialty grading they have agreed to do (Boom to name one), and they can't handle the business. To think they are deliberately slowing down grading to keep prices up is ridiculous, when they are losing business daily from all the people who are NOT submitting because it takes too long.

One of our comparisons is nonsense, that's for sure! Either the one where actual people spend time doing something, or the one where something travels over the internet or is teleported.

They will have to get better or someone else will step in and get better for them. It can't possibly be too expensive to buy the few pieces of equipment required to do slabbing. It would cost more to do the PR to get it started.

In this bizarro world of yours, why limit yourself to 3 weeks? You said it yourself - it should only take 30 minutes for a comic book to go through the grading process, so why aren't you demanding that CGC offers a 1 day turnaround on every submitted book?

Sorry dude! Didn't realize opinions other than yours would get you all riled up! One day would be ridiculous, and I am not demanding anything, other than the right to post my opinions like anyone else. I have read a few of your threads, and it seems you usually pick out one poster and then attack them for whatever they post. Guess it is my turn. Whatever gets you through the night!

You should try slipping in a $100 bill. Maybe you'll get a better grade. :kidaround:

It only takes a twenty.

Sorry dude! Didn't realize opinions other than yours would get you all riled up! One day would be ridiculous, and I am not demanding anything, other than the right to post my opinions like anyone else. I have read a few of your threads, and it seems you usually pick out one poster and then attack them for whatever they post. Guess it is my turn. Whatever gets you through the night!

Schmidt's okay. He just likes to always think he's right.

CGC and it's parent company do not care about slow-as-molasses turnaround times or dwindling customer service, they care about making money. They are currently slower, more expensive, and offer their customers less now than they did just a few years ago (i.e. no grader's notes). So we get less, we wait longer, and we pay more for that privelege. And since there's no alternative, we just bend over and take it - so like it or lump it folks! :preach:

CGC's owners make money by grading books, pressing books in-house, and by selling slabbed books. The grading division (CGC) is not where the profit lies, it simply supports the overall business plan that allows them to take a cut of the $$ at each step in the process.

Imagine the overall profit made from something like the Billy Wright collection from the manipulation step (pressing, restoration removal, reattachment of detached covers and centerfolds, whatever they allow themselves to do to a book and still justify a blue label), to the grading step, and then finally the biggest piece of the pie - the buyers/seller's premiums. And the best part? They get to double/triple/quadruple dip as those books are manipulated and graded over and over...hooray! :acclaim: