• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Update

206 posts in this topic

I think all the people repeatedly crying about the CGC's turn around times, lack of transparency, and conflicts of interest should be inducted into the "Crybaby Crew", and forever carry that as their custom title!

Thanks for reminding me about CGC's lack of transparency, sometimes the little things like this get forgotten. (thumbs u

"You claiming that it should only take 3 weeks is nonsense - it's a number you just plucked out of thin air, based on an irrelevant comparison with the auto industry. It would be like me saying "I can send this email to anywhere in the world instantly, so why doesn't the USPS offer instant package delivery?"

If you actually think it should take more than 3 weeks (120 working hours) to grade a comic book, you are a little mixed up. And you are putting way to much thought into their processes. They have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down, not in any way prepared for the business they have gotten in the last year or so. Combine that with all the specialty grading they have agreed to do (Boom to name one), and they can't handle the business. To think they are deliberately slowing down grading to keep prices up is ridiculous, when they are losing business daily from all the people who are NOT submitting because it takes too long.

One of our comparisons is nonsense, that's for sure! Either the one where actual people spend time doing something, or the one where something travels over the internet or is teleported.

They will have to get better or someone else will step in and get better for them. It can't possibly be too expensive to buy the few pieces of equipment required to do slabbing. It would cost more to do the PR to get it started.

In this bizarro world of yours, why limit yourself to 3 weeks? You said it yourself - it should only take 30 minutes for a comic book to go through the grading process, so why aren't you demanding that CGC offers a 1 day turnaround on every submitted book?

Sorry dude! Didn't realize opinions other than yours would get you all riled up! One day would be ridiculous, and I am not demanding anything, other than the right to post my opinions like anyone else. I have read a few of your threads, and it seems you usually pick out one poster and then attack them for whatever they post. Guess it is my turn. Whatever gets you through the night!

:popcorn:

"You claiming that it should only take 3 weeks is nonsense - it's a number you just plucked out of thin air, based on an irrelevant comparison with the auto industry. It would be like me saying "I can send this email to anywhere in the world instantly, so why doesn't the USPS offer instant package delivery?"

If you actually think it should take more than 3 weeks (120 working hours) to grade a comic book, you are a little mixed up. And you are putting way to much thought into their processes. They have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down, not in any way prepared for the business they have gotten in the last year or so. Combine that with all the specialty grading they have agreed to do (Boom to name one), and they can't handle the business. To think they are deliberately slowing down grading to keep prices up is ridiculous, when they are losing business daily from all the people who are NOT submitting because it takes too long.

One of our comparisons is nonsense, that's for sure! Either the one where actual people spend time doing something, or the one where something travels over the internet or is teleported.

They will have to get better or someone else will step in and get better for them. It can't possibly be too expensive to buy the few pieces of equipment required to do slabbing. It would cost more to do the PR to get it started.

Pretty obvious that CGC wants to reduce the waiting time. It's bad for business as it encourages people to look for alternatives.

CGC is caught in the difficult position of trying to keep their grading consistent, reduce waiting times, and keep costs down. Finding qualified graders willing to move to Florida is difficult and training new graders takes time. CGC can't afford to become more inconsistent in their grading standards and they are allowing the wait times to increase rather than risk their reputation for consistent grading.

And I think you're underestimating CGC's profits. I doubt they make more than a modest profit.

In this bizarro world of yours, why limit yourself to 3 weeks? You said it yourself - it should only take 30 minutes for a comic book to go through the grading process, so why aren't you demanding that CGC offers a 1 day turnaround on every submitted book?

Sorry dude! Didn't realize opinions other than yours would get you all riled up! One day would be ridiculous, and I am not demanding anything, other than the right to post my opinions like anyone else. I have read a few of your threads, and it seems you usually pick out one poster and then attack them for whatever they post. Guess it is my turn. Whatever gets you through the night!

I'm as calm as can be :shrug:

I have, unfortunately, read some of your threads too, and it seems like you make a habit of spouting ill-informed nonsense - guess I shouldn't have risen to the bait.

A Pretty obvious that CGC wants to reduce the waiting time. It's bad for business as it encourages people to look for alternatives.

CGC is caught in the difficult position of trying to keep their grading consistent, reduce waiting times, and keep costs down. B Finding qualified graders willing to move to Florida is difficult and training new graders takes time. C CGC can't afford to become more inconsistent in their grading standards and they are allowing the wait times to increase rather than risk their reputation for consistent grading.

And I think you're underestimating CGC's profits. D I doubt they make more than a modest profit.

A. I disagree, if they cared they would have dealt with it by now. This is the benefit of having no alternatives.

B. If you can't find people to train in an economy with roughly 12 percent real unemployment, you're doomed.

C. Two years (at least) I've been hearing about this. They can't be more inconsistent then they already are, so why not be as slow as possible as well.

D. They have to make somewhere between an assload and a crapton. A monopoly with a rabid fanbase, constantly renewing base materials and low overhead? They should be shoveling money into the backs of pickup trucks to bring it to the bank.

A Pretty obvious that CGC wants to reduce the waiting time. It's bad for business as it encourages people to look for alternatives.

CGC is caught in the difficult position of trying to keep their grading consistent, reduce waiting times, and keep costs down. B Finding qualified graders willing to move to Florida is difficult and training new graders takes time. C CGC can't afford to become more inconsistent in their grading standards and they are allowing the wait times to increase rather than risk their reputation for consistent grading.

And I think you're underestimating CGC's profits. D I doubt they make more than a modest profit.

A. I disagree, if they cared they would have dealt with it by now. This is the benefit of having no alternatives.

B. If you can't find people to train in an economy with roughly 12 percent real unemployment, you're doomed.

C. Two years (at least) I've been hearing about this. They can't be more inconsistent then they already are, so why not be as slow as possible as well.

D. They have to make somewhere between an assload and a crapton. A monopoly with a rabid fanbase, constantly renewing base materials and low overhead? They should be shoveling money into the backs of pickup trucks to bring it to the bank.

:foryou: We'll have to agree to disagree.

I have, unfortunately, read some of your threads too, and it seems like you make a habit of spouting ill-informed nonsense - guess I shouldn't have risen to the bait.

I spout well-informed nonsense. :hi:

lol

:cloud9:

You just spout :foryou:

I have found that onlookers exagerate other companies profits.

Every day I like you less and less. hm

Every day I like you less and less. hm

Not possible :sumo:

Thanks for proving me wrong. I wanted to send in some Silver Age books but I don't feel they should get a percentage of what the books are worth. They should get one standard fee.

Do you think with all the modern new books being sent in that they actually open and check each page? Any 9.8s wouldn't be 9.8s if they had to thumb thru them.

Just check the covers and slab it, and they're getting rich doing it.

Why pay 500 bucks for a slabbed Harbinger #1? A 9.6 isn't good enough for 100.

I believe they do check every page, at least briefly. It takes seconds, and if they did NOT do it, and got caught, it would hurt them badly. I am sure someone had tried to catch them by now, by submitting something with an obvious error to see if they would catch it. A junior grader could surely flip through the pages and then pass it on the senior graders so they could concentrate on the covers.

they do. i sent in a submission with one book that i purposely damaged. i tore one of the pages on the inside. not a big tear, 1/2 inch and it did not pass a prescreen for 9.8's. the cover looked crispy. i called and was told there was a tear.

they dont get a percentage, you pay a fee. fmv is only for walkthrough. if you do a walkthrough with an action 1, they will do fmv. only books worth more than $3000 fmv have to be a walkthrough. send in your silverage, chances are your books arent over that.

Do you think with all the modern new books being sent in that they actually open and check each page? Any 9.8s wouldn't be 9.8s if they had to thumb thru them.

Just check the covers and slab it, and they're getting rich doing it.

Why pay 500 bucks for a slabbed Harbinger #1? A 9.6 isn't good enough for 100.

I believe they do check every page, at least briefly. It takes seconds, and if they did NOT do it, and got caught, it would hurt them badly. I am sure someone had tried to catch them by now, by submitting something with an obvious error to see if they would catch it. A junior grader could surely flip through the pages and then pass it on the senior graders so they could concentrate on the covers.

The primary graders do not count pages. Someone else has already done that for them.