• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Update

206 posts in this topic

"You claiming that it should only take 3 weeks is nonsense - it's a number you just plucked out of thin air, based on an irrelevant comparison with the auto industry. It would be like me saying "I can send this email to anywhere in the world instantly, so why doesn't the USPS offer instant package delivery?"

If you actually think it should take more than 3 weeks (120 working hours) to grade a comic book, you are a little mixed up. And you are putting way to much thought into their processes. They have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down, not in any way prepared for the business they have gotten in the last year or so. Combine that with all the specialty grading they have agreed to do (Boom to name one), and they can't handle the business. To think they are deliberately slowing down grading to keep prices up is ridiculous, when they are losing business daily from all the people who are NOT submitting because it takes too long.

One of our comparisons is nonsense, that's for sure! Either the one where actual people spend time doing something, or the one where something travels over the internet or is teleported.

They will have to get better or someone else will step in and get better for them. It can't possibly be too expensive to buy the few pieces of equipment required to do slabbing. It would cost more to do the PR to get it started.

In this bizarro world of yours, why limit yourself to 3 weeks? You said it yourself - it should only take 30 minutes for a comic book to go through the grading process, so why aren't you demanding that CGC offers a 1 day turnaround on every submitted book?

Sorry dude! Didn't realize opinions other than yours would get you all riled up! One day would be ridiculous, and I am not demanding anything, other than the right to post my opinions like anyone else. I have read a few of your threads, and it seems you usually pick out one poster and then attack them for whatever they post. Guess it is my turn. Whatever gets you through the night!

I'm as calm as can be :shrug:

I have, unfortunately, read some of your threads too, and it seems like you make a habit of spouting ill-informed nonsense - guess I shouldn't have risen to the bait.

I spout well-informed nonsense. :hi:

You just spout :foryou:

Every day I like you less and less. hm

Sounds like a married couple...

If nothing else, Robodog's post early this morning (way back on page 9) started a lengthy discussion about the problems CGC is having in getting books turned around in a more timely fashion. And to me, that's a good thing. (thumbs u

Maybe, just maybe, Paul Litch will read all of this fodder and decide (or further reinforce) that he has a major problem on his hands and needs to get something done about it sooner - not later.

If nothing else, Robodog's post early this morning (way back on page 9) started a lengthy discussion about the problems CGC is having in getting books turned around in a more timely fashion. And to me, that's a good thing. (thumbs u

Maybe, just maybe, Paul Litch will read all of this fodder and decide (or further reinforce) that he has a major problem on his hands and needs to get something done about it sooner - not later.

:applause:

I believe my Green Lantern 1 is worth more than 3 grand.

they dont get a percentage, you pay a fee. fmv is only for walkthrough. if you do a walkthrough with an action 1, they will do fmv. only books worth more than $3000 fmv have to be a walkthrough. send in your silverage, chances are your books arent over that.

"You claiming that it should only take 3 weeks is nonsense - it's a number you just plucked out of thin air, based on an irrelevant comparison with the auto industry. It would be like me saying "I can send this email to anywhere in the world instantly, so why doesn't the USPS offer instant package delivery?"

If you actually think it should take more than 3 weeks (120 working hours) to grade a comic book, you are a little mixed up. And you are putting way to much thought into their processes. They have gotten caught with their proverbial pants down, not in any way prepared for the business they have gotten in the last year or so. Combine that with all the specialty grading they have agreed to do (Boom to name one), and they can't handle the business. To think they are deliberately slowing down grading to keep prices up is ridiculous, when they are losing business daily from all the people who are NOT submitting because it takes too long.

One of our comparisons is nonsense, that's for sure! Either the one where actual people spend time doing something, or the one where something travels over the internet or is teleported.

They will have to get better or someone else will step in and get better for them. It can't possibly be too expensive to buy the few pieces of equipment required to do slabbing. It would cost more to do the PR to get it started.

A Pretty obvious that CGC wants to reduce the waiting time. It's bad for business as it encourages people to look for alternatives.

CGC is caught in the difficult position of trying to keep their grading consistent, reduce waiting times, and keep costs down. B Finding qualified graders willing to move to Florida is difficult and training new graders takes time. C CGC can't afford to become more inconsistent in their grading standards and they are allowing the wait times to increase rather than risk their reputation for consistent grading.

And I think you're underestimating CGC's profits. D I doubt they make more than a modest profit.

A. I disagree, if they cared they would have dealt with it by now. This is the benefit of having no alternatives.

B. If you can't find people to train in an economy with roughly 12 percent real unemployment, you're doomed.

C. Two years (at least) I've been hearing about this. They can't be more inconsistent then they already are, so why not be as slow as possible as well.

D. They have to make somewhere between an assload and a crapton. A monopoly with a rabid fanbase, constantly renewing base materials and low overhead? They should be shoveling money into the backs of pickup trucks to bring it to the bank.

A-C on the money

D. No idea about the amount they make, but I would not consider it low overhead. Building alone is 5M+

So, whenever anyone says they need to start a West Coast division, I just shake my head. It will NEVER happen. Especially now that they have acquired Classics.

I don't think they will invest in another facility only because who knows how long Modern Comics will continue to be produced.

And there is a limited supply of old comics to grade. At some point they may actually slow down.

^^

So many of you expect comic grading to stay at this level or increase? Come on now. Reality check. :makepoint:

I believe my Green Lantern 1 is worth more than 3 grand.

they dont get a percentage, you pay a fee. fmv is only for walkthrough. if you do a walkthrough with an action 1, they will do fmv. only books worth more than $3000 fmv have to be a walkthrough. send in your silverage, chances are your books arent over that.

ok, so do a walkthrough. megacon is next.

I would assume someone in CGC keeps metrics on quality (mislabeled), quantity (books in/out), and muda (waste). All of these charted out will tell management what needs to be adjusted and what can be cut.

Speaking of quality. In the last month I've received 298 graded books. 11 had label errors. That's 1 of every 27 (at least for my books) with a screw-up.

There's obviously a human keying in this info. It's easy to catch an errant date/title/etc...but what about the numeric grade? What if it's an 8.0 and it's late on a Friday and they key in a 6.0? Do clerical errors account for the variance in grading and the changes in grade upon resub?

Is this good? Bad? Discuss...

Remember when you could call in and get the grade each grader gave a book? Those were the days.

If we ever get a true speculator bump again, it's gonna get much worse.

It's already here. (thumbs u

I think we are just on the fringe. If the 80's and 90's are any indication, the madness has only just started. Just imagine if they had comic grading/slabbing back then.

It can't even last very long. More money in each issue and more space required for storage. New releases become $50 books before the stores close on new release Wednesday. Comic stores are now being "encouraged" to buy more copies. I hope they stand their ground.

East of West is an example of things to come. People actually think that they can buy 100 - 1000 copies of a book and make a huge profit?

In my opinion pre - order books shouldn't be discounted below cover price. That would discourage speculators to a point and would drop the print runs considerably.

For all of those thinking that things are going to get better soon, just remember that some of the Fast Track turnaround times are now exceeding the estimates (and have for months) and this is still before the traditionally busy summer convention season. Things might indeed change before long, but not for the better.

For all of those thinking that things are going to get better soon, just remember that some of the Fast Track turnaround times are now exceeding the estimates (and have for months) and this is still before the traditionally busy summer convention season. Things might indeed change before long, but not for the better.

:(

It's true.

But they promised?