• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to best promote our hobby?

40 posts in this topic

What means do you feel would best promote Comic collecting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If this an old topic, forgive me: I'm new here. foreheadslap.gif Just thinking after reading the "Free Comic Book Day" thread.

it has been did=scussed quite a few times here. But no harm in bringing it up again. SInce the hobby still needs a goose of new readers. But I dont have any answers. I think comics appeal to only a small percentage of the population, and always have. And lately, that percentage getss smaller all the time. We collectors like to believe that IF ONLY we could get them to try comics they would love them as we do....but I have my doubts on that.

Getting new readers in comics today is a very difficult prospect indeed. For one thing there are way too many other venues for entertainment. There are video games, television, movies, etc. Not that those things didn't exist in the past, but they weren't as prevalent. How many channels did you have on your TV just 10 years ago? Comics just have way too much competition to succeed purely on its own merits for new readers.

Although I personally can't stand the Ultimate line of books put out by Marvel, I think that was a great idea to bring new readers. It has often said that there is too much continuity for new readers to even get interested. The problem is what happens when that title stops being printed, those new readers may possible not buy comics. So again we are left with long time collectors without that continuity.

The other thing that I think is killing the monthly market is TPB's. Many on here say that isn't the case, although I hear of many collectors who just buy the TPB so they can enjoy a story in one sitting so they do not have to wait for issues to be published. Which I have to agree is nice.

How do you promote comics in a world of 300 tv channels, numerous game consols, and more internet than any one person can handle? Flood the market place. Seriously. It's my belief that Marvel and DC are missing the boat on this one. Take a look at all the things that both companies put out there now. Kids buy tons of comic related video games and toys. Why not put a mini comic in every one of them? If they would use cheaper paper stock for both the cover and pages then they could produce them at a reasonable cost. Make it so that every time a kid opens a action figure a comic pops out at him. Make "strategy" guides for video games into comic formats. That kind of thing. If you bombard a kid with things enough there's a chance that it will latch on. Fact is that most kids these days have never even held a comic. The comic industry is to blame for it. They're already reaching kids through other avenues... why not use those same areas to promote the comics themselves? Granted... that's just my idea and I could be a raving loon confused-smiley-013.gif

When I was a little kid, I rememeber I got into comics as a result of seeing superheroes on TV such as the hulk, spidey etc. and playing with the toys. I got into comics because I realized all these characters I loved were created in comics. The influx of the Marvel movies I think is a already a great promotional tool, BUT it should be made clear to kids that these characters were born from comics and not on the screen. Hopefully this will inspire them to explore comics as well.

When I was a little kid, I rememeber I got into comics as a result of seeing superheroes on TV such as the hulk, spidey etc. and playing with the toys. I got into comics because I realized all these characters I loved were created in comics. The influx of the Marvel movies I think is a already a great promotional tool, BUT it should be made clear to kids that these characters were born from comics and not on the screen. Hopefully this will inspire them to explore comics as well.

I don't know the logistics of handing out comics at the Marvel movies but if they could take their Free Comic Book Day comics and have theatres distribute them to the moviegoers I would think it would make a significant impact. Kid sees movie, likes it, has comic in hand already. Knows where to go for more.

CRC

How do you promote comics in a world of 300 tv channels, numerous game consols, and more internet than any one person can handle? Flood the market place. Seriously. It's my belief that Marvel and DC are missing the boat on this one. Take a look at all the things that both companies put out there now. Kids buy tons of comic related video games and toys. Why not put a mini comic in every one of them? If they would use cheaper paper stock for both the cover and pages then they could produce them at a reasonable cost. Make it so that every time a kid opens a action figure a comic pops out at him. Make "strategy" guides for video games into comic formats. That kind of thing. If you bombard a kid with things enough there's a chance that it will latch on. Fact is that most kids these days have never even held a comic. The comic industry is to blame for it. They're already reaching kids through other avenues... why not use those same areas to promote the comics themselves? Granted... that's just my idea and I could be a raving loon confused-smiley-013.gif

ToyBiz has started something to this degree with providing a comic with the highly detailed

figures in their Marvel line. But I'm sure you'll agree that that is not enough.

I wish there were more value packs in toy stores and Wal Marts. Were a kid could get

10 comics sealed in el'cheapo plastic baggie for 6 bucks or something like that. I miss those.

One of the things that has really been a problem with kids getting comics in their

hands is not only availability, but price.

A kid can buy so many different things for $10 other than 2 comics for $3 a piece.

I wish Marvel and DC would Wake-Up and see that Free Comic Day isn't going to solve this problem. Free Comic day is like the idea of a pusher giving out crack so the user can get

hooked on the product and thus make a slave out of the user and drain their wallets dry.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a boost in kid readers by means of FCD because

in a kids mind this is like an awesome video game company that sells it's games for $300

a pop and just decided to give some away on a given day. Sure the kids like anyone will gladly snag something for free, but I would be amazed to see them back due to the expense.

Why? Because these book are crack only to those who have read more than a few issues.

My solution is that Marvel and DC start a value line directed at a kid audience.

To do this all Illustrators, Inkers, Writers etc. will have to donate one low paying book every two years to feed this system. That way with 10 budget issues under a $1 that came out every

month I believe that there would be a new young reader trend. With this idea there would be one major title a month in this series (for example in Marvel that would be ASM, Uncanny, Ultimate's etc.) that way it wouldn't feel like a price segregation.

Oh well, that is just an idea that I'm sure the Corporations are way too greedy to accept,

but it would be nice to see them trying to save this aging hobby other than FCD. I think FCD

is targeted for people that have read comics before to bring them back other than find new readers.

Just an opinion. wink.gif

ultimately, there are many forms of entertainment nowadays for kids, and reading seems more like WORK to kids when you can play video games, drool and watch a movie, etc. Lack of originality and refurbished titles won't do it. We will need to get back to basics. IMHO.

I have a question.....why don't large comic conventions start spending some money on newspaper and television advertising? The attendees of most comic cons are all people involved with the hobby, so why not put the word out to the general populace to attract new blood? I understand that advertising is a pricey investment, but i'm sure between all the comic companies and private investors they could come up with a few thousand for some ads. Take car shows for example...through persistant advertising you see people at the show that normally wouldn't be there. Plus with all the toy crazes out there, shows should advertise as a toys & comic show to attract different types of collectors. It should definitely boost attendance and sales and give comics more exposure. Just my two cents..er..half a cent american. cool.gif

The publishers should donate their overstocked or chainstore returned graphic novels or tpb's to all the elementary school or public libraries in USA or Canada. Entice young readers into the hobby by giving them free acess to comic books thru a Reading Room program during the summer. hi.gif

The publishers should donate their overstocked or chainstore returned graphic novels or tpb's to all the elementary school or public libraries in USA or Canada. Entice young readers into the hobby by giving them free acess to comic books thru a Reading Room program during the summer. hi.gif

now this is the first really good idea Ive heard on the subject. Repurposing unsold inventory is as cheap a way to advertise the industry as youll get. Of course, TBPs are expensive giveaways and are timeless, meaning they have a long shelf life for sale, as opposed to cheap monthly comics, and would represent an "expense" to DC or Marvel... But there doesnt seem to be any way to capitolize on giveaway pamphlet comicxs....

I agree with Aman... this is the best idea to come up so far. Returned stock is next to worthless anyway. Giving them to school reading programs would cost them very little and would benefit them on the promotional side and the goodwill side.

I have a question.....why don't large comic conventions start spending some money on newspaper and television advertising? The attendees of most comic cons are all people involved with the hobby, so why not put the word out to the general populace to attract new blood? I understand that advertising is a pricey investment, but i'm sure between all the comic companies and private investors they could come up with a few thousand for some ads. Take car shows for example...through persistant advertising you see people at the show that normally wouldn't be there. Plus with all the toy crazes out there, shows should advertise as a toys & comic show to attract different types of collectors. It should definitely boost attendance and sales and give comics more exposure. Just my two cents..er..half a cent american. cool.gif

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but Marvel did buy a company called Cover Concepts a few months ago. The purpose of this is to get free Marvel comics into schools. http://www.coverconcepts.com/gallery.shtml

I don't think that TV ads would be cost effective. Just my opinion.

What means do you feel would best promote Comic collecting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Stock up on copies of X-Men 101, slap a 9.6 sticker on the bags, catch a 15 yr old with $500 in his back pocket coming out of X3 and make your sale. Rinse and repeat.

everyone should donate to www.comics4kids.org immediately to preserve our hobby into the next generation smile.gif

Many members use Ebay and other outlets to sell comics. What if each member were to make a point to include something like the following in each auction they post? Feel free to cut & paste this and save it to Notepad or Word and cut & paste it to each auction. A well informed Collector is good for any hobby!

"If this is a CGC graded item, and you would like to learn more about CGC, visit

http://www.cgccomics.com

Be sure to check out the Boards link to see what others are saying about the hobby. Sign up for free and start talking."

Even if they visit and don't sign up, but read the posts, imagine what can come from it. Just MHO.

This comes from a coin collector and sometimes comic book reader. So take it for what it's worth.

The other thing that I think is killing the monthly market is TPB's. Many on here say that isn't the case, although I hear of many collectors who just buy the TPB so they can enjoy a story in one sitting so they do not have to wait for issues to be published. Which I have to agree is nice.

TPB's are the main way to get new people who are not kids into reading comic books and maybe if the industry got away from super hero comics (such as DC's Vertigo line) more non collectors might be interested in picking them up. Also comic book stores have to go in the directions of being an entertainment center for every one movie and CD buff, card collectors, Video game players and card collectors. Because it will get more people into the store and they might pick up something else that catches their eye.

CHRIS

How about commercials, flyers in the Sunday funnies showcasing new releases, or some form of advertising on the pre amble you see on DVD's? More annimated series would be nice. They need to do something unconventional to get kids attention. Joint effort with McDonald's? Also, they need a spokeperson that people can relate the Marvel franchise to, not a bunch of corporate suits that nobody knows. Stan Lee was brilliant at that because I'm sure there were people that never picked up a comic book in their life but they knew what Lee stood for.

Product - they need more creativity, better artists, to launch them into the next era. They need to be an advertising machine but my sense is that they are focused on movie making for the time being and if they do the odd promotion here and there great, but no real focus that actually sells and promotes their books.

I agree with you. IMHO, anytime a comic is printed (excepting explecitly vulgar or violent examples) is a plus for the hobby. TPB's lead to interest in going back to collecting the originals in many cases, just as movie trailers lead to viewing the complete movie or sound bites of music lead to purchasing the CD,...ect.