• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setting up as a dealer at my first show

37 posts in this topic

I think someone here can give you the ropes of making sure your set up is secure, and be wary of diversions from would-be theives.

Make sure your set up is clean, organized and easy to peruse would be my offer of information from a buyer perspective.

Just looking for some general advice from the veterans.

not a veteran seller, but I've been BUYING for a long time...

slabs or raw, putting a price on a book is key.

No prices? 1/2 the time I don't bother to ask unless its a book I'm really jonesing for.

Think about ease/difficulty to access the books based on how you've set up your booth/tables. If I cant get to a particular box, I just keep moving, and thats a possible lost sale (or at least less sale).

No prices? 1/2 the time I don't bother to ask unless its a book I'm really jonesing for.

Think about ease/difficulty to access the books based on how you've set up your booth/tables. If I cant get to a particular box, I just keep moving, and thats a possible lost sale (or at least less sale).

yup I'm not going to waste time on some smuck who pulls out a priceguide book

good advice here!

As a buyer I would suggest - be nice. Nothing worse than walking up to a grumpy dealer

that gives you the 'what do you want' attitude. Also, while not a deal breaker, be presentable. Wouldn't hurt to shower. A professional looking dealer will get better results.

bring a stool.

I know its odd, but I like a stool over a chair...

gives you a better eyeline to your books & customers (cause it's higher)

its smaller than a full fledged chair so you can position it closer to your books (again thinking both accessibility and also staying close to your inventory)

you arent going to be able to spend the whole show on your feet, so when you need to rest the doggies, a stool is your best friend.

[font:Book Antiqua]Congratulations.

Hope you have great sales.

* Use comfortables shoes

* Bring bags for your costumer

* Have a lot of change in all denominations.

* PRICE YOUR BOOKS

* Have a friend or family keeping an eye in the merchandise meanwhile you deal with the costumers.

* If you have expensive books keep them visible, but out of reach (for thieves)[/font]

:applause:

Bring change

Be flexible

Know what you have

Are you bringing a wall type display? There were some posts some time ago about building one, traveling, etc. Make sure you have some mechanism to keep books in place, don't want them dropping.

Since this is your first show, all the other dealers will come over to see what you have and either try to buy up your good stuff cheap, or lower their prices so that you don't sell anything. Give them high prices, and then cut them when the public starts coming in.

Bring a helper, or bring your lunch and several go girls.

Post it notes for prices on wall books so buyers dont have to ask.

$1.00 books to attract buyers to your table.

Be friendly and have a neat appearance. Promote the hobby wear something comic related. Say "Hi" and let them look trust me they will ask if they need something. ("If you need any help just ask" something like that.)

Organize a "good read" section if you have the space.

Take want lists. Have cards with your email or phone numbers ready.

Bring something to read and a lunchbox with some food for you to snack on with drinks and ice packs to keep them cold.

Bring plenty of $1,$5,$10 bills for change.

Theivery is an issue be prepared other dealers can chime in on to prevent that more then I can.

Giveaway free books to young kids. If nothing else you are contributing to keeping the hobby alive.

If buying make clear up front your terms. Trading same way.

Bags for buyers to put their comics in. Even a small box or two if you can spare them some will buy big on $1 books.

Be weary of other dealers before a show. If they show interested in something then so will the public so price them accordingly.

Be prepared for your low ballers at the end of the show.