• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setting up as a dealer at my first show

37 posts in this topic

I definitely agree with having prices listed clearly. Nothing annoys me more at a show when there is a wall of books that I see two or three books I need/want but without prices. Most of the time, the dealer is either too busy with another customer to be able to pull away to speak to a couple different prices.

Though, if you do decide to keep some books unmarked as a way to begin a conversation (maybe they are a key Golden Age or something), do not get snotty with a customer for asking the price. I've dealt with three dealers on different occasions who seemed insulted I asked the price of their merchandise, as though I was just supped to hand them a blank check in exchange for the product.

Good luck with the show.

I like to put a variety of books on my display rack, different eras and genres. Anyone who collects comics walking by should see something that makes them stop.

I like to greet anyone who stops and ask if they're looking for anything in particular. Steering people to the right box or telling them you don't carry what they're looking for will be appreciated.

Be friendly, price and grade fairly. You'll find a small core of collectors who pop up at every show and treating them fairly will lead to loyal customers.

Count pages. People hate buying books only to discover they're missing pages. Checking the centerfold isn't good enough as sometimes people rip out a page somewhere in the book.

Don't be afraid to say no. When I first started setting up my goal was to sell enough to make the show worthwhile, which sometimes meant I accepted a low ball offer. Now I'm happy to work out a deal, especially with a regular customer, but I don't feel pressured to sell. The guy who offered me 50% of sticker for a fairly priced Hulk 181 got a polite no.

Lastly, have fun. There is nothing quite like selling old comics. Make the best of it, meet some neat people and enjoy the ride.

Good luck with the show.

Count pages. People hate buying books only to discover they're missing pages. Checking the centerfold isn't good enough as sometimes people rip out a page somewhere in the book.

Very important on older books. Years ago I sold a early Tales to Astonish on ebay and this was before I knew to count pages on older books. It was missing two pin ups. Fortunately the buyer was very understanding, but it could have gone bad quickly for me.

Since you're new, do NOT accept $100 bills from anyone you don't know.

It is seemingly sound advice but even if he takes $100 bills ony from people he DOES know, how does that insure they are any more genuine?

And does he keep a,list and record the serial numbers from each person he took a $100 from? I would not envy anyone the conversation that could take place should a bill or bills prove fake, especially if the counterfeits were uncovered a few day after the fact.

Not being sarcastic - just trying to work out the reality of the situation.

It is seemingly sound advice but even if he takes $100 bills ony from people he DOES know, how does that insure they are any more genuine?

And does he keep a,list and record the serial numbers from each person he took a $100 from? I would not envy anyone the conversation that could take place should a bill or bills prove fake, especially if the counterfeits were uncovered a few day after the fact.

Just get the little marker (shrug)

From what I gather the markers work based on the wood starch in regular paper. I wonder how they would work on something like a 100% linen paper or similar paper not made from wood pulp (providing, of course, 100% linen paper contains no wood pulp.) hm

[font:Book Antiqua]Congratulations.

Hope you have great sales.

* Use comfortables shoes

* Bring bags for your costumer

* Have a lot of change in all denominations.

* PRICE YOUR BOOKS

* Have a friend or family keeping an eye in the merchandise meanwhile you deal with the costumers.

* If you have expensive books keep them visible, but out of reach (for thieves)[/font]

:applause:

This is most important as it is imperative you change clothes several times during the con (thumbs u

From what I gather the markers work based on the wood starch in regular paper. I wonder how they would work on something like a 100% linen paper or similar paper not made from wood pulp (providing, of course, 100% linen paper contains no wood pulp.) hm

if you know them, you can ask them if they withdrew it from a bank for the convention. Hopefully, they won't lie to you.

At least that's my thinking... (checking them over is a given as well)

I set up once to sell some things I wanted to get rid of-

Have someone to help you. I took my kid. She watched the table while I set up, when I had to go to the restroom, and when I wanted to look around the show.

Make sure you have a cart or dolly to move your books in. (I didn't)

* Bring bags for your costumer

My costumer used to always crapp everywhere too. :eek:

I know people have said to be leary of dealers before the show. However, if the books are priced at your asking price go ahead and sell to the dealers.

While they may cherry pick your stuff, they are often the biggest spenders. You don't want to let that money walk away. The book they are buying may be for their customer in the next city that you can't sell to.

Not sure if this post is late, but I have some advise for you: Have fun and make the show worthwhile no matter what your reason is for setting up. I have set up at conventions for years - from coast to coast - and this is the number one reason. Not a good show for selling? Make sure you bring some money to BUY because the chances are you will get some great deals from people set up there that are in the same boat. Not a great show for selling OR buying? Establish contacts, perhaps trade with other dealers, price and prep for the next one and keep yourself busy! Always think positive!

Not sure if this post is late, but I have some advise for you: Have fun and make the show worthwhile no matter what your reason is for setting up. I have set up at conventions for years - from coast to coast - and this is the number one reason. Not a good show for selling? Make sure you bring some money to BUY because the chances are you will get some great deals from people set up there that are in the same boat. Not a great show for selling OR buying? Establish contacts, perhaps trade with other dealers, price and prep for the next one and keep yourself busy! Always think positive!

Awesome suggestion!

I have never sold comic books as a dealer, but I can offer some advice as an antique and video game dealer; who has set up at a lot of shows, conventions, and the like.

Hopefully you are going with someone who can help you set up and manage your booth. My number one piece of advice is to scope out what other dealers are SELLING! I get my best pieces from high end dealers. This is true in any business. Whether it be high end antiques or video games, I want to deal in the rare and high grade stuff. A lot of my business is between other dealers. That is the nature of the game. They will seek you out as well, especially if you are (pardon the term) 'fresh meat.'

In one of my other posts ( from months back) I talk about seeking out people with rental trucks at antique marts and the like. It is the same way in the collectibles game as well. Look for other dealer's 'mistakes' and trust your gut. Learn to 'network.' In this day and age a dealer cannot buy and sell in a vacuum. It is impossible. I spent well over $550 at a video game auction yesterday. Two pieces I already had a buyer for before I even made my first bid. This a must, if you are to become a full fledged dealer...of anything.

Make contacts, start a 'black book of names' and offer deals. Sometimes it is best to 'break even' if it means finding a new repeat customer.

Watch out for distractions and possible theft. Keep your best stuff in towards you, both on the table and on your display rack.

Have fun and learn! Challenge yourself to learn something new each and every day. Whether you choose to deal only in comic books is up to you. Just remember one of my favorite pieces of advice...

You will pay for an education in the collectibles (and antiques business). That being said, the easiest way to create wealth in capitalism is to 'invest in what you know!'

Kind Regards, and good luck with your sale!

'mint'