• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Select #1 cover CT question...

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking this would come back as a blue w/ slight CT because it's not really going to improve the grade overall.

I'm I right or safe in assuming this?

Also was wondering if it did come back blue w/ CT, in your opinion, how much of a price hit percentage wise might I expect from this perticular book in blue w/ CT vs no CT on average. I know this is subjective on ones personal buying criteria.

Just wanted to get a feel (that didn't sound right :)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

allselectcomics1fc.jpg

allselectcomics1ct.jpg

Well, it looks like it was a tape pull or something similar and then someone tried using markers to fix it to me. I am almost certain it will get a restored label even though the attempt to fix it was poor.

If I am right then maybe it would be a good idea to have it professionally restored to maximize grade and value.

That will get a purple label for sure, probably Slight(A) but maybe Moderate(A). Blue labels with a small amount of color touch are reserved for REALLY small amounts of color touch.

Well, it looks like it was a tape pull or something similar and then someone tried using markers to fix it to me. I am almost certain it will get a restored label even though the attempt to fix it was poor.

If I am right then maybe it would be a good idea to have it professionally restored to maximize grade and value.

I would disagree that markers were used to CT the raw area.

The Ct'ed large grey areas are too light to have been done with a typical marker, the edges of the letter recreation bled too much. Like somebody used a thinned out black paint, loaded their brush and the raw coverstock soaked it up, making it bleed around the edges. As well as the edges directly around the missing grey area are too dark. Which happens when CT is applied to an area that does not need it.

Coupled with the fact that there is some sort of japan paper poultice applied above yellow area over the M. You can see what appears to be long strands of fiber, typical of japan tissue.

Almost as if somebody did try to fix this book correctly, they were just not very successful at it.

So my guess(based on just a scan) is that it would come back Slight P, with a worry that even more things were done to the book the OP is unaware of.

And again, we are basing guesses on scans. Which is not exactly the best way to give accurate advice.

I would disagree that markers were used to CT the raw area.

The Ct'ed large grey areas are too light to have been done with a typical marker, the edges of the letter recreation bled too much. Like somebody used a thinned out black paint, loaded their brush and the raw coverstock soaked it up, making it bleed around the edges. As well as the edges directly around the missing grey area are too dark. Which happens when CT is applied to an area that does not need it.

Coupled with the fact that there is some sort of japan paper poultice applied above yellow area over the M. You can see what appears to be long strands of fiber, typical of japan tissue.

Almost as if somebody did try to fix this book correctly, they were just not very successful at it.

So my guess(based on just a scan) is that it would come back Slight P, with a worry that even more things were done to the book the OP is unaware of.

Kenny nailed that I think. The "japan" paper fibers are very characteristic. I, too was thinking a thinned down paint, maybe acrylic, causing the absorption we see. I don't see that, as has been said, getting a Universal.

And Kenny's "with a worry that even more things were done to the book the OP is unaware of" was almost word for word what I was thinking on looking at this.

Heres a pic of the inside cover.

To me, looking at it with a 10x loupe at different angles in hand, looks like a tape pull and someone tried to fill it in with a fine point marker and some kind of yellow marker.

The book was bought at Metro between 95'-05' and hasn't been on the market since then to my knowledge. They graded it at a 5.5 at the time for whatever thats worth.

I dont really see anything that would indicate further amateur resto.

Thanks for all the comments.

Anyone care to take a shot at the grade?

Or maybe one of you old timers owned the book before that?

I probably shouldn't say that I'm kind of one of them old timers my self :)

asct.jpg

BC

allselectcomics1bc.jpg

asct.jpg

Now we're talkin!

It looks like it was some sort of black marker, that was cleaned off somewhat?

The exterior cover sure is odd looking.

That said, the BC looks good and dirty. Which is good if you are hoping for less work done. Might just be an isolated case of a tape pull, fixer upper back in the day.

Who knows at this point, I will stop guessing.

All I know is it won't get Blue from CGC..sorry.

That will get a purple label for sure, probably Slight(A) but maybe Moderate(A). Blue labels with a small amount of color touch are reserved for REALLY small amounts of color touch.

+1, that would be my guess as well. Slight amateur. The quality of the color touch looks really really bad.

You cant really see it on the scan, but there is a vertical NCB crease running down the middle of the book like a subscription crease, at the top it runs down the red part of the "L". There is no indication of red CT added when looking with a 10X loupe or under a black light.

However the same crease on the inside of the cover is much more predominant and can be felt and the red residue you see on the baby face hits exactly on the red of the top of the "A" in America on the first interior page.

I have a small batch of Timely's that seems to have come from the same person or collection, they all seem to have some amateur CT, glue and/or tape from back in the day.

I will be sending these books in to get resto checked and graded opinion before deciding to sell them or not.

Thanks for your input guys.

allselect1ct1.jpg