• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic art t-shirts

27 posts in this topic

I made some tee-shirts from my comic art, but between writing it up on my blog and sending out the comicart-l email, I don't want to run through it all again. read about it here sean's blog if you'd like.

Thanks to Rob Stolzer for telling me about customink.com

waters+short.JPG

mac+short+front.JPG

mac+short+back2.JPG

moore+shirt.JPG

No love for my shirts!?! C'mon, these are great!!!

Very cool - I was just thinking recently how cool it would be to get some T-shirts with OA images on them created (just for my personal use), but I figured most places would have a problem with potential copyright infringement issues if you used either a published piece or a recognizable trademarked character. If anyone knows of a service that isn't hypersensitive about these things, a PM would be appreciated. :whistle:

The red shirt looks better in person I think. It got more compliments first time out than the others. The white shirt (that is a Simonson drawing of Alan Moore as Rorschach) did come out very well, I agree.

I have a black shirt with white ink design for my Rick Geary Frank Zappa portrait, but my wife hated it although I thought it looked cool. That is the thing with designing these shirts, the possibilities can be mind boggling. I will keep trying. I should ask my daughter Molly, she has more fashion sense than the rest of us together.

Changing white to black works better in some drawings than others. I am still experimenting.

The shirts look great (could have picked a better model, however :makepoint: )

What did you think of the entire shirt making process?

Which shirts did you use?

Did you rescan your art for the shirts, or use scans you already had? What was the dpi/dimensions of your scans?

How's the color look in person?

(shrug)

The shirts look great (could have picked a better model, however :makepoint: )

What did you think of the entire shirt making process?

Which shirts did you use?

Did you rescan your art for the shirts, or use scans you already had? What was the dpi/dimensions of your scans?

How's the color look in person?

(shrug)

I enjoyed the hell out of the shirt making process. It was the most fun I have had with my art in a long time. I tried one shirt with comic panels, 2 from the Mazzucchelli DD page I own with Nuke (BLAMBLAMBLAM) but did not like how it came out. I may still try that approach, but for now am focusing on sketches and commissions rather than panels/pages. Rob Stolzer directed me to this particular site, and I believe he has made a shirt with a newspaper strip panel for himself. Maybe he will show up and show it off.

The white simonson alan moore is ANVIL 100% cotton. With the sleeves and collar trim it was the most expensive shirt. The red Andy MacDonald shirt has art on both sides and is a 100% cotton HANES tagless. The Sienkiewicz Roger Waters shirt is a 100% cotton GILBAN. I have worn the Waters twice and the others once so I have no strong opinion yet but they all seem good shirts and took the art well.

I decided to rescan all my art and after hit and miss found that 400 dpi was the highest resolution I could use reliably. Even then if you make it too big on the shirt it crashes and you have to start anew. You obviously have not read my blog, harumph, but the first shirt I made was a Rudy Nebres commission that they wanted assurance from Rudy that I could use the art. I cancelled the order and photoshopped out all signatures when I rescanned the art for subsequent orders. However the Waters shirt was ordered shortly after the Nebres and went right through with Bill's sig and all. They must be inconsistent. I got an email after each order as well asking in general terms why I wanted to make the shirt. Personal choice was one choice provided.

I like them a lot in person. I think they look great. My wife was a great skeptic and was very impressed when I opened up the Waters shirt. I should be wearing these or others at NYCC if you are going you can see them for yourself. I'll be the guy in the comic art t-shirts.

Okay, since a few people are paying attention - is this panel offensive if I have it on a shirt?

mazzpanel600small.jpg

In making the shirts I am trying to stick with art I own, although I may make one for a buddy with a scan from a book as well. But in general, I try to own it. So I wanted to put a panel from my Mazz page and this is clearly the great image. It just seemed a bit much I think. I have a larger, more vertical panel on the back of the shirt design, but this is the money shot. IS IT a bit much though? whattayathink?

EDIT: sorry it is so friggin' big, I can't fix it though

Oh, it bothered me that y'all can't see how awesome these shirts are so I threw the RED one on the scanner. It is wrinkly. Here is the back

shrtscan.jpg

I don't see anything "offensive" in the art.

No blood, not even any sweat- Wertham would be proud and the CCA would approve that in 1960, I would think (?)

I know, it just lacks context I guess so it worried me a bit. I mean, these shirts are only really going to be "gotten" by a few people, so I don't want trouble from the rest.

Thanks for the input.

Well, I done got another shirt. This is from the art that inspired the idea in the first place. When I got my commission from Rudy Nebres I was so awed by the art that I wanted to wear it for everyone to see. I initially submitted this with the signature but it proved a problem for the company so I got the other shirts instead. Now that I have tested the WATERS with the shirts above I had to get this one.

nebresSHIRT.JPG

I got a new t-shirt yesterday and am wearing it now. Linsner Storm as Thor (AKA Asgardian Storm) on front and same by Stephen Segovia on the back. The Linsner looks better than anything so far, but the Segovia is just good not great. It is the first shaded textured graphite piece I have tried and will likely be the last as it came out only okay. The front is killer though, just killer!.

Okay, I got a new shirt today and it is awesome. I cannot get a picture just yet but it is Grendel Prime in black (by Andy MacDonald) on a white hoodie. My 13 year-old daughter, who regularly rolls those eyes at her father, quietly told me "that is cool". When I asked if it was bad@ss, she replied in the affirmative.

I love these original art t-shirt you guys are sharing.

Here's one featuring the late Al Rio's art that was offered on TeeFury.

It's the promo art for it - which looks much better than a picture of me in it. :)

top.jpg

I also have a few I've gotten from Zazzle.

Take at look at the Marvel Extreme Store. Marvel is uploading some raw art for products.

Terry