• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't think thats a spider-man 9.6 but you'll be the judge!

25 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm new to the board. I've been reading posts on this boards for about a week, so I finally joined! I have a question about this guys grading! No disrespect if he's a member of the board. How can someone grade Spider-Man comics 9.6 with a big marker slash at the UPC. Doesn't this affect grading???? and why are they going for that much where you can clearly see the grades he/she are giving are not accurate???

Spider-Man comics

Thanks everybody for taking your time to read the post..

Anyone else think these prices are a bit out of whack? foreheadslap.gif

Ooops, it's that same maniac that buying all of greggy's books.

confused.gif He's just bid up the Iron man 1! tongue.gif

its pretty common. Probably have a few hundred slashed upcs buried in my collection somewhere. After you see a few of them, and how perfect and straight the slash is, you realize it wasn't added afterwards.

That's a Whitman reprint, and was part of sealed 3-packs.

Are you sure about that Joe? I've got my original copy that was bought at the same corner store as the rest of the run. Unless I'm mistaken, or somehow they got a reprint version in the same week it was supposed to be out.

That's a Whitman reprint, and was part of sealed 3-packs.

Are you sure about that Joe? I've got my original copy that was bought at the same corner store as the rest of the run. Unless I'm mistaken, or somehow they got a reprint version in the same week it was supposed to be out.

It might be from a Whitman 3 pack, but it's not a reprint. The Whitman 3 packs at the time contained Direct Market copies.

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/Direct/

While I agree they *could be* direct versions, the vast majority of high-grade copies are from those Whitman 3-packs. For some reason, there are a ton of sealed packs around, and can sometimes be found on EBay.

P.S. That page is far-from accurate, such as listing X-Men 118 "No UPC" as a Direct comic, when we proved in these very forums that it's a Whitman. 893naughty-thumb.gif

While I agree they *could be* direct versions, the vast majority of high-grade copies are from those Whitman 3-packs. For some reason, there are a ton of sealed packs around, and can sometimes be found on EBay.

P.S. That page is far-from accurate, such as listing X-Men 118 "No UPC" as a Direct comic, when we proved in these very forums that it's a Whitman. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You are missing the point. Although there were Whitman Reprints of many Marvel books over the years, the Whitman 3 packs with these particular issues of Spider-Man were direct market copies, NOT reprints. Read the link that I provided before.

Slash in the box is a Whitman.

Joe is correct.

thumbsup2.gif

No, slash in the box is a direct market copy, not necessarily from a Whitman 3 pack. Some went to subscribers, some through Western Publishing (one of Marvel's distributors at the time), and some through other channels. Read that link above.

Joe is correct.

thumbsup2.gif

No, slash in the box is a direct market copy, not necessarily from a Whitman 3 pack. Some went to subscribers, some through Western Publishing (one of Marvel's distributors at the time), and some through other channels. Read that link above.

OOOOH!

Thanks for the link!

Great information to have. 893applaud-thumb.gif

All this time I thought they were Whitman books.

flowerred.gif

Joe is correct.

thumbsup2.gif

OOOOH!

Thanks for the link!

Great information to have. 893applaud-thumb.gif

All this time I thought they were Whitman books.

flowerred.gif

Nope. Here's proof. No "Whitman Reprint" notation anywhere on the label. Whitman 3 pack DOES NOT necessarily mean "Whitman Reprint."

asm194.jpg

I never said Whitman was a reprint.

sumo.gif

Joe said it was a Whitman reprint. You said "Slash in the box means Whitman. Joe is correct."

I assumed "Joe is correct" meant that you thought it was a reprint too. confused-smiley-013.gif