• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double cover question?

12 posts in this topic

CGC (old) label says

FN+ 6.5

Centerfold detached. 1st cover 6.0, interior cover7.5

Can someone tell me why this was graded 6.5 rather then the 7.5 grade of the interior cover, as most double covers you see now have been graded?

Would it have anything to do with the detached CF? or has CGC changed their policy since then?

Thanks for your help!

hafc1cgc-1.jpg

As far as I know CGC grades the book overall based on the outside cover.

Actually most of the time (95%+??) you'll see that the overall grade of the book matches the grade that CGC assigned to the interior cover (perhaps the thinking is that you could remove the outer cover, and you'd then have whatever grade the interior cover received).

Of course if the outer cover graded higher than the interior cover (I don't recall seeing this, but I'm not a double cover expert), I would guess that CGC might typically give the overall book the grade of the outer cover.

With the above being the typical scenario, where the above isn't true, perhaps the aggregate of the best cover + the inside of the book works out to the overall grade that CGC assigned. 2c

As far as I know CGC grades the book overall based on the outside cover.

Actually most of the time (95%+??) you'll see that the overall grade of the book matches the grade that CGC assigned to the interior cover (perhaps the thinking is that you could remove the outer cover, and you'd then have whatever grade the interior cover received).

Of course if the outer cover graded higher than the interior cover (I don't recall seeing this, but I'm not a double cover expert), I would guess that CGC might typically give the overall book the grade of the outer cover.

With the above being the typical scenario, where the above isn't true, perhaps the aggregate of the best cover + the inside of the book works out to the overall grade that CGC assigned. 2c

My mistake, will store this new info in my mind somewhere. Now that I look at it, it makes sense since the grade is 6.5 with the detached centerfold and the out cover was graded at at a 6.0. doh!

So it looks like CGC droped the grade 1.0 for the detached centerfold then eh? I would have thought they would have droped it lower than that for it being detached. hm

Not sure I get this, are they independently grading each cover? Why bother if the end grade is what they give it?

Here is another double cover not noting any defects this time, but still with a lower grade then interior cover. Again another old label book. I guess a hidden defect of some kind?

Or maybe their policy is different now, still looking for new label examples.

htdblcvr.jpg

Keep in mind the cover grades on a double cover book are strictly the appearance of the covers independent of any other defects to the complete comic. The outer cover on the human torch 23 meets the grading standards of a 5.5 and the inner cover meets the grading standards of an 8.5. When the cumulative defects of the book are combined then you end up with the final grade, in this case a 7.5. If you paid for the graders notes you would likely find there are defects you don't see but are contributing to the overall reduction in grade.

Keep in mind the cover grades on a double cover book are strictly the appearance of the covers independent of any other defects to the complete comic. The outer cover on the human torch 23 meets the grading standards of a 5.5 and the inner cover meets the grading standards of an 8.5. When the cumulative defects of the book are combined then you end up with the final grade, in this case a 7.5. If you paid for the graders notes you would likely find there are defects you don't see but are contributing to the overall reduction in grade.

I disagree. In that case the owner could just rip off the outer cover and resubmit and get a full grade bump.

I suspect that there are other issues in the interior of this book that are not noted on the label. From what I've seen, barring any major internal defects (detached centerfolds, missing wraps, torn pages, etc), the highest graded cover will get the final grade.

I disagree. In that case the owner could just rip off the outer cover and resubmit and get a full grade bump.

I suspect that there are other issues in the interior of this book that are not noted on the label. From what I've seen, barring any major internal defects (detached centerfolds, missing wraps, torn pages, etc), the highest graded cover will get the final grade.

Sounds like you agree to me . . . :makepoint::roflmao:

CGC (old) label says

FN+ 6.5

Centerfold detached. 1st cover 6.0, interior cover7.5

Can someone tell me why this was graded 6.5 rather then the 7.5 grade of the interior cover, as most double covers you see now have been graded?

Would it have anything to do with the detached CF? or has CGC changed their policy since then?

Thanks for your help!

hafc1cgc-1.jpg

I do believe you answer your own questions . . . just remove the question marks :insane: