• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA #205 TC SS Neal Adams: am i alone in being saddened by this?

44 posts in this topic

Mike,

I wouldn't be saddened if it were Carmine Infantino on that copy. I love 8.5-9.4 SA for Sig Series. But NA signing that book is wrong, for me.

Mike,

I wouldn't be saddened if it were Carmine Infantino on that copy. I love 8.5-9.4 SA for Sig Series. But NA signing that book is wrong, for me.

he signed the #206 as well, at least he did the interiors of that one.

You are not alone. I hate seeing great books defaced with sigs.

I do too, but especially when the guy didn't work on the book! Its a little bit like having sergio aragones sign your fantastic four 1 :facepalm:

You are not alone. We'll see what the market says about these books 20 years from now.

(spoiler - I don't think it'll be good)

When you say "these books" do you mean all SS books, or books that are signed by people that didn't work on the book.

If it is the latter, I agree with you. I think the passage of time will have people scratching their head.

If you are referring to all SS books, I think you are wrong. Uber-HG books may have trouble keeping pace. But I believe that SA books in the 8.5-9.2 range will strongly outpace their raw and blue label counterparts.

SA books in this grade are not rare, so it will not be super hard to track them down, for those that want raw or blue label. And while there will be a lot of people who do not want to own "defaced" comics, the smaller market that does want signed and certified comics have a very small pool of books to choose from.

There are dozens, maybe hundreds of VF+ copies of Aquaman 20. But only one has been autographed by Nick Cardy and certified by CGC. It is possible in 20 years that no one will want it, but I think it will be much more highly sought after than a random raw copy.

You are not alone. We'll see what the market says about these books 20 years from now.

When you say "these books" do you mean all SS books, or books that are signed by people that didn't work on the book.

If it is the latter, I agree with you. I think the passage of time will have people scratching their head.

If you are referring to all SS books, I think you are wrong. Uber-HG books may have trouble keeping pace. But I believe that SA books in the 8.5-9.2 range will strongly outpace their raw and blue label counterparts.

SA books in this grade are not rare, so it will not be super hard to track them down, for those that want raw or blue label. And while there will be a lot of people who do not want to own "defaced" comics, the smaller market that does want signed and certified comics have a very small pool of books to choose from.

There are dozens, maybe hundreds of VF+ copies of Aquaman 20. But only one has been autographed by Nick Cardy and certified by CGC. It is possible in 20 years that no one will want it, but I think it will be much more highly sought after than a random raw copy.

I agree with this. There are books that can be signed without depleting the HG pool for others, i.e. Hulk 181, ASM 129 etc and would add to desirability of the book. I don't agree with using a pedigree copy to get signed, especially by someone that had nothing to do with the book itself.

The latter, yes.

You are not alone. I hate seeing great books defaced with sigs.

I do too, but especially when the guy didn't work on the book! Its a little bit like having sergio aragones sign your fantastic four 1 :facepalm:

more apt analogy would be John Byrne signing a FF#1 (who did a "definitive run" on the charaters, ala Adams and Deadman)...

but your point is taken.

Unless you're the EIC (I'm looking at you stan!) (and were EIC at the time) I cant understand signing a book you didnt work on.

Sign a damn non pedigree copy then.

paging Sufunk.

Sign a damn non pedigree copy then.

paging Sufunk.

:whistle:

I should just keep my mouth shut since I'm POSITIVE it will start a mess storm but here goes! :whee:

I've talked with Sean about this and I will say that I think Fingh is correct but NOT with a Pedigree copy. Obviously, I'm in the minority but I think Pedigrees are special, even "made up" ones like some of the recent Peds. I've already beaten that dead horse into the ground so I won't go thru that again.

However, I don't think SSing Pedigree books is going to be a wise investment going forward IMO. The pool of buyers for Pedigree books is already pretty small. From what I see and hear as a Pedigree freak, the VAST majority of collectors think buying Pedigrees and paying a premium for them is CRAZY! :screwy:

I'm sure there are probably some out there somewhere but ive yet to meet or talk to anyone that's into buying Pedigrees that likes or is looking for Pedigree SS books (shrug) the buying pool for this book has been significantly reduced IMO. If it was a regular copy, I agree with Fingh 100% that 20 years from now it will be more sought after than a "regular" copy(assuming they had someone who worked on the book sigh it! :facepalm: ) A Pedigree copy though??? Yeah, not so much IMO (thumbs u

This was my beef.

Signing a pedigree book? You just don't do it!!! (tsk)

By doing it you are destroying the whole mystique and charisma of the pedigree designation in one fell swoop.

Why not get a bar of solid gold, and paint the word "Gold" on it.

Does that make it more desirable? :facepalm:

Well, ill say the same thing i said last time this came up that for some reason upset so many people ???

If someone like Fingh bought this book and SS'd it, i would have ZERO problem with it. I know he loves his books and if he wants a pedigree SS book for his collection, have at it. If you want a keeper SS Pedigree book, thats fine by me.

What i do have a problem with is someone defacing a Pedigree book SOLELY to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of it. It's hard to tell from that horrid scan but it looks like the book was signed in April of this year and pretty much immediately put up for sale. The book was preserved for 45 years so i dont see any reason to put a sig on it SOLELY for the purpose of selling it (shrug)

This was my beef.

Signing a pedigree book? You just don't do it!!! (tsk)

By doing it you are destroying the whole mystique and charisma of the pedigree designation in one fell swoop.

Why not get a bar of solid gold, and paint the word "Gold" on it.

Does that make it more desirable? :facepalm:

Well, ill say the same thing i said last time this came up that for some reason upset so many people ???

If someone like Fingh bought this book and SS'd it, i would have ZERO problem with it. I know he loves his books and if he wants a pedigree SS book for his collection, have at it. If you want a keeper SS Pedigree book, thats fine by me.

What i do have a problem with is someone defacing a Pedigree book SOLELY to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of it. It's hard to tell from that horrid scan but it looks like the book was signed in April of this year and pretty much immediately put up for sale. The book was preserved for 45 years so i dont see any reason to put a sig on it SOLELY for the purpose of selling it (shrug)

It is very hard to argue with this logic.