• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman needs your cartilage: All DKR Questions Answered!!!

26 posts in this topic

SPOILERS!!!!

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS Let me preface this by saying that when I walked out of the theatre on Friday morning, I was not entirely convinced. After having time to digest the film, I have come to realize that not only is this film the best of The Dark Knight Trilogy, but it is one of the best films ever made. I'm sure many audience members had questions or problems concerning the plot after the viewing, so here's a compilation of all the questions and answers I've read. Thanks to all the redditors who contributed.

Why was Bruce limping throughout the beginning of the film, then somehow magically heals? The leg braces and time improve his overall physique.

How did Bane transport Bruce to the prison in the Middle East so quickly, and how did Bruce get back to Gotham? The prison was located in Tibet. When Bane seized the reactor, it was mentioned that they had about 5 months before it blew up. That gives Bruce enough time for a return trip from anywhere in the world. The same way he had access to Cleanslate, he was just had friends in high places, which helped him get back to Gotham. Gotham wasn't technically quarantined, as food shipments were allowed in. Citizens just weren't allowed out. That's how special forces got in only to die within minutes.

Why didn't Batman even attempt to blow up Bane with the Batwing on the rooftop scene with Selina Kyle? Batman didn't expect Bane to blow up the whole city. He was just a mercenary to him at that point.

How was the US government not more involved, and why didn't someone just shoot Bane? It is clearly stated that a citizen holds the trigger for detonating the nuke. This is what keeps the government at bay, the citizens against each other, and certainly keeps Bane from being overthrown- since he doesn't hold the trigger, it will be set off if he dies. EDIT: The government reiterates that they do not negotiate with terrorists and they don't know how the nuclear fission device works, since it was made secretly. They wouldn't just send fighter jets to blow up the nuclear fission device if they don't know would blow up or not. They can't kill Bane since there's a possibility that he is lying and that he may be holding a dead man switch. So they send in the special forces to gain intell, a precursor to a possible military strike.

Why would Batman take the time to create the fire logo of the Bat symbol? This was just as important for people to know he was there as it was for him to be there. The announcement that Batman had returned inspired people to keep fighting for their freedom and gave them hope, which is Batman's main goal.

Why was Bane's death so trivial and boring? This is a perfect way to highlight one of Batman's weaknesses: that he doesn't use guns. Batman failed (yet again) to defeat the 200 pound monster and Selina shows up and breaks Batman's one rule, and shows how much easier it would be if Batman lived without that rule. This shows that Batman knows how easy it would be to defeat his enemies this way, but he still chooses to take the hard path, so he will never have to drop to their level. This also shows that Bane wasn't important anymore. It turned it out he wasn't the leader of the league of shadows, nor the son of Ra's al Ghul. He NEVER had the courage to exit the pit. Hence, he wasn't the big mean villain everything lead up to. He was merely a bodyguard, and given an appropriate death.

How would Batman have survived that nuclear explosion? When Batman lifted the bomb using The Bat, he brought it low to the ground at first, it looked a bit like the bomb was dragging along the street, just before the plane elevated to go over that tall building. He flew low for a bit because he didn't want to eject at the very top in the air, because people would see that. He was done with Batman. That was when he set up the autopilot, took a deep breath, and jumped out. That's why he set The Bat at low altitude, so he could eject himself unhurt. The shot of him in the cockpit was when he was still over land, just before ejecting out. Nolan inserted that scene in the "over sea" part to lure the audience into thinking he died. The name of Bruce Wayne is dead. Batman is dead. The man, Bruce Wayne is still alive in Italy with Selina, clean-slate device used for her, and the rest of the world presuming he is dead.

Saying that John Blake's real name is Robin was lame. Why didn't they just use Robin's real name, Grayson? John Blake is a symbol for what Batman inspires. He is in the film to be the successor Batman had been looking for since The Dark Knight. If you're a fan of Batman you know there are a few Robins. John Blake, in my opinion is a product of the three of them. Nolan took aspects from Grayson, Jason Todd and Tim Drake to create Robin John Blake. Grayson - Orphaned, Basically a less moody Batman, Morally righteous. Jason Todd - When Blake is mentioning his past he talks about being angry and wanting to lash out, but faking a smile, much like Jason’s character in the comics. Tim Drake - In the comics Tim becomes Robin by figuring out Batman's identity. John figured out Bruce was Batman and told him, leading to the final scene of the movie. This is probably the strongest resemblance of the character. Also, John Blake did say that he didn't need to use a mask when he was fighting off those guys and Batman showed up. So if he turns into Robin (the superhero) he would be using his own name, not a masked name.

So Alfred goes to that cafe in Vienna and he just happens to be there at the same time and facing in the direction that Bruce Wayne is in? Bruce was there specifically because this is where Alfred told him he goes. There was no suggestion this was a random meeting.

What's the deal with Bruce and Selina at the end? Can I get some wine with that cheese? This is the only time we'll see Bruce have a happy ending. He is stuck being Batman in the comics forever. Nolan had the option to end the Batman and give Bruce the happy ending he deserves and will never have in the comics. In the end, Batman can retire because his legacy of sacrificing everything for the city has been passed on. Every single cop running to their probable death against the mercenaries embraced the idea that Gotham is more important than themselves. In The Dark Knight, the cops are depicted as deathly afraid when it came to defending the city against the Joker. But at the end of the trilogy, the true crime-fighters run fearlessly into battle. Selina Kyle, the selfish burglar, eventually follows this idea as well. John Blake, walking into gunfire to evacuate citizens, had little care for his life. Thus, because the defenders of the city no longer need a selfless hero, Bruce Wayne can retire. This Trilogy is the story of a boy who had his family stolen from him, but with the help of loyal allies, he manages to restore justice to the city that wronged him. In the end, Bruce has given Gotham everything. The day has come that Bruce Wayne no longer needs Batman. Nolan is a brilliant bastid.

Link to the reddit page.

(thumbs u

Can I ask questions too?

Why\how did Bane keep 3000 Gotham police offers trapped (and fed) below the city for 5 months? Why was he also not prepared for the 3000 cops to escape and potentially wreck his plan?

Why didn't Miranda just kill Bruce Wayne when she slept with him early-ish in the movie? So he could watch Gotham burn on a 19" tv? Was her motivation to destroy Gotham in her fathers name as she claimed, or to make Bruce Wayne suffer? Either one doesn't jive with her actions.

Why did Alfred spend the first 2 movies having the "Go get 'em!" attitude and from the outset of this movie suddenly worry about Bruce's safety?

Why would Bane, et al., hire Celina Kyle to obtain Bruce Wayne's fingerprints off of a safe when they could have just as easily obtained them from a glass, doorknob, etc.?

Why did they bankrupt Bruce Wayne? Gordon even mentioned all his transactions would be reverted due to fraud. Was Bane/MIranda too stupid to know this? What was the point? Which begs the question why even have the entire plot line involving the stealing of the fingerprints and Catwoman at all? (even though she did easily steal the movie)

Why did Bane/Miranda feel the need to over-explain their every motivation to any character that would listen?

The entire movie didn't really make any sense at all. I gave it a 70 at best, sligthly behing Batman Begins.

Some people said they like watching movies instead of films. Movies are fun. This is why I said DKR was a film. I had the same thoughts from looking at the complaints about the film and was astounded that they were even asked. I thought it was apparent once you sat and thought about it. I well written movie does not always need a omniscient narration.

BTW... you want to see how Bruce escaped "the Bat"...

Look no further than the toys...

Look at 42 seconds...

[Can I ask questions too?

Sure

Why\how did Bane keep 3000 Gotham police offers trapped (and fed) below the city for 5 months? Why was he also not prepared for the 3000 cops to escape and potentially wreck his plan?

Bane did not believe that 3000 police officers are of any consequence to safeguard the lawlessness of the entire city. They were trapped underground. Some died in the cave ins as we saw rubble fall on top of a few of them. However food was transported in. They even said there was barely any food. Some people did what they wanted and helped anyway. As was shown if you helped them you were to be shot.

b]Why didn't Miranda just kill Bruce Wayne when she slept with him early-ish in the movie? So he could watch Gotham burn on a 19" tv? Was her motivation to destroy Gotham in her fathers name as she claimed, or to make Bruce Wayne suffer? Either one doesn't jive with her actions.[/b]

Sure they do. See the Talia of the Comic Books... she does the same thing. She may enjoy his company but wants to toy with him. The purpose that both Bane and Talia had was to break Bruce physically and mentally. Once Gotham turns to ashes then you have my permission to die and all that.

Why did Alfred spend the first 2 movies having the "Go get 'em!" attitude and from the outset of this movie suddenly worry about Bruce's safety?

During the first two movies Alfred does NOT have this attitude. It clearly shifts once he is bitten by dogs in the opening of the first one and Alfred expressed concern. By the time of Dark Knight Rises, Bruce is basically a man with a broken body. Alfred doubts that Wayne has the physical strength to carry this crusade on at this point.

Why would Bane, et al., hire Selina Kyle to obtain Bruce Wayne's fingerprints off of a safe when they could have just as easily obtained them from a glass, doorknob, etc.?

Bruce was a recluse. They made a reference to Howard Hughes with the urinating in pots and long fingernails line. There was no way of knowing which glass had Bruce Wayne's fingerprints or a doorknob that everyone touches. However, if you want fingerprints from anything that Bruce definitely touches you go to the private safe.

Why did Bane/Miranda feel the need to over-explain their every motivation to any character that would listen?

"You expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." Because not everyone is Auric Goldfinger. However I did not feel that they did. Bane announced his plans to Bruce to break him mentally and point it out that it was not a fallacy in his plan but a purpose.

Some of the questions that are asked are simply irrelevant. How did Bruce travel back to Gotham? It does not matter. It matters that he did. Bruce Wayne has resources. I do not need to see how Bruce got back. I know he did. I do not need to see Bruce Wayne go to the bathroom. I assume he does when the camera s not on him.

Can I ask questions too?

so they couldn't police the carnage, how? by blowing up the entrance to the tunnel they were in, they sent them food

Why didn't Miranda just kill Bruce Wayne when she slept with him early-ish in the movie? So he could watch Gotham burn on a 19" tv? Was her motivation to destroy Gotham in her fathers name as she claimed, or to make Bruce Wayne suffer? Either one doesn't jive with her actions.

because she needed him to get access to the bomb, she hadn't had it up to then had she? gaining trust?

because he didn't think he could beat Bane, he said of his concern about his speed and such and i think he was thinking that because of his 8 years away he'd get beaten

Why would Bane, et al., hire Celina Kyle to obtain Bruce Wayne's fingerprints off of a safe when they could have just as easily obtained them from a glass, doorknob, etc.?

because she's a thief, why not steal something whilst you're getting them?

Why did they bankrupt Bruce Wayne? Gordon even mentioned all his transactions would be reverted due to fraud. Was Bane/MIranda too stupid to know this? What was the point? Which begs the question why the entire plot line involving the stealing of the fingerprints was wasted.

so Miranda could take over Wayne Enterprises and get access to the bomb

probabily an act of the studio so people dont get confused

The entire movie didn't really make any sense at all. I gave it a 70 at best, sligthly behing Batman Begins.

some answered in a roundabout way, the post above this fills some gaps aswell

Some of the questions that are asked are simply irrelevant. How did Bruce travel back to Gotham? It does not matter. It matters that he did. Bruce Wayne has resources. I do not need to see how Bruce got back. I know he did. I do not need to see Bruce Wayne go to the bathroom. I assume he does when the camera s not on him.

Agreed. IMO it was well within the boundaries of "normal" that Bruce could go out to Tibet, heal and get back to Gotham within a 5 month period. If they had show how Bruce got back to Gotham (or other details that were not really important for the telling of the story) people would be complaining that the movie was not 3+ hours in length and too boring.

Agreed. IMO it was well within the boundaries of "normal" that Bruce could go out to Tibet, heal and get back to Gotham within a 5 month period. If they had show how Bruce got back to Gotham (or other details that were not really important for the telling of the story) people would be complaining that the movie was not 3+ hours in length and too boring.

they never said that people weren't allowed ON Gotham, they even got others on Gotham, they still had one bridge where food supplies came on

You could miss this piece of information if you blinked or left for the toilet.

Thats why TDKR requires a 2nd viewing to take it all in.

they never said that people weren't allowed ON Gotham, they even got others on Gotham, they still had one bridge where food supplies came on

I realize that.

I was talking about how some people are unable to fill in the story blanks using a little imagination (like how Bruce got back from Tibet) but unfortunately, this it's necessary in order to save the valuable movie time for the plot rather than waste it on something that should be relatively simple to figure out using a little imagination.

The extended cut will have a fifteen-minute montage of Bruce Wayne hitchhiking.

Yup, but the toilet break is not the director's responsibility.

lol

I think it's a genius film that was well crafted and I think much like DK was better upon a second viewing (a lot of little things popped out at me that I had missed the first time) the DKR will be as well.

I'm actually just as excited to see it the 2nd time around as I was the first.

I realize that.

I was talking about how some people are unable to fill in the story blanks using a little imagination (like how Bruce got back from Tibet) but unfortunately, this it's necessary in order to save the valuable movie time for the plot rather than waste it on something that should be relatively simple to figure out using a little imagination.

exactly, i didn't even see it as a plot hole just a gap that didn't really need filling in, if they explained all these little gaps then people would complain that its even longer, Directors Cut may have it?

The extended cut will have a fifteen-minute montage of Bruce Wayne hitchhiking.

The extended-extended version will have bathroom breaks included in footage.

Yup, but the toilet break is not the director's responsibility.

lol

I think it's a genius film that was well crafted and I think much like DK was better upon a second viewing (a lot of little things popped out at me that I had missed the first time) the DKR will be as well.

I'm actually just as excited to see it the 2nd time around as I was the first.

I thought the seasonal change in Gotham might have conveyed the point though. Oh look, its snowing!

I thought the seasonal change in Gotham might have conveyed the point though. Oh look, its snowing!

Not if they didn't explain the global warming angle.

(tsk)

Not if they didn't explain the global warming angle.

(tsk)

In The Directors Cut we learn that Bruce Wayne bankrupted Wayne enterprises because he had to pay Gothams carbon tax bill to Al Gore :gossip:

Maybe you don't, but I spent the whole movie wondering why he didn't (shrug)

I saw it saturday morning and havent stopped thinking about the movie since then. Not very many movies if anything do that to me. I loved it and love the trilogy as a whole, I feel there will never be a better movie/trilogy than this. As crazy as it sounds im super depressed because ive waited for this ending so to speak for so long and now its over. Ill never forget the feeling watching the movie on the edge of my seat to finally see what happens (this feeling obviously cant happen again) since i now know. I will see it again and again and look closer and see if i can pick up on different things. the next thing I will be exited about is when the movie goes to blu-ray and being able to buy all 3 and watch then in a row (yes apparently im a loser)

Why was Bane's death so trivial and boring?

This is a perfect way to highlight one of Batman's weaknesses: that he doesn't use guns. Batman failed (yet again) to defeat the 200 pound monster and Selina shows up and breaks Batman's one rule, and shows how much easier it would be if Batman lived without that rule. This shows that Batman knows how easy it would be to defeat his enemies this way, but he still chooses to take the hard path, so he will never have to drop to their level. This also shows that Bane wasn't important anymore. It turned it out he wasn't the leader of the league of shadows, nor the son of Ra's al Ghul. He NEVER had the courage to exit the pit. Hence, he wasn't the big mean villain everything lead up to. He was merely a bodyguard, and given an appropriate death.

I'm not sure this is an example of highlighting any "weakness". Bane was already a defeated man and completely humiliated. Bats would have had him whimpering like baby if Talia had not saved his . I think at that point he was made pretty irrelevant in the eyes of the story.

Catwoman saving Bat's butt out of no where like that was kind of contrived though. Would have been better if it was Alfred. In fact, I would have liked to have seen an ode to the Bats/Predator story line where Alfred saves Bats from getting gutted by blasting the Predator with an old black powder musket.