• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"GATHERING HORROR" - A 700 PAGE COMPLETE GUIDE TO FM & WARREN MAGS

50 posts in this topic

I'm glad that some of our list members took my advice and bought copies of David Horne's "Gathering Horror" when it was still available at a $35.99 "Buy it Now" price.

The last four printer damaged copies had a starting prices of $9.99 and ended higher than the non-damaged copies that went for a $35.99 "Buy it Now" price!!! ($46.00, $40.00, $35.85, and $36.01)

In any case, they're gone and as it stands there won't be a second printing. Congratulations to everyone who obtained a copy!

Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221093285771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221093260381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221093231096?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221093192681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Glad I snagged a copy when they were still up on ebay originally. I see there is a seller looking for about $150 for a copy on ebay...none on Amazon...

Since there were only 300 printed he may get it! - Mike

Wow...I just checked eBay and there is one up there on a Buy-It-Now for $250! Now I'm sorry I didn't buy two copies for $34 each!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gathering-Horror-A-Completist-Collectors-Catalog-Index-for-Warren-Publishing-/360503680038?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item53efb19c26

Mike

I'm not sure what my limit price would be on this yet.

If i were to really want one. :ohnoez:

How long did it take him to complete this unbelievable exhaustive reference

book ?

We screenwriters sure love our reference books of all kinds. :cloud9:

And if it includes monsters mags,well..there's no limit to the amount of :cloud9:

I'm not sure what my limit price would be on this yet.

If i were to really want one. :ohnoez:

How long did it take him to complete this unbelievable exhaustive reference

book ?

We screenwriters sure love our reference books of all kinds. :cloud9:

And if it includes monsters mags,well..there's no limit to the amount of :cloud9:

I understand that this crazy book was in the works for years. The guy has an enormous collection of Warren material including FM, Creepie, Eerie, Vampirella, etc. and used alot of his own stuff for the photos. What the Scott Catalogue is to philately, Gathering Horror is to Warren's publications. Horne knows everyone that has anything to do with monster magazines, horror films, etc. And, judging by my brief correspondence with him, he seems to be a very nice guy.

I don't know how old David Horne is, but we have to keep him alive. There is no one person out there with the collective knowledge of our hobby that this guy has!

Mike

Now for instance,when i look in completed listings on Ebay,i see 3 that havent

sold in the time they were offered.

Can one try and contact the seller and say i'd like to buy this now ?

It's against eBay rules, but if you can contact the seller outside of eBay you might be able to cut a deal with him.

On one hand, this book should logically continue to rise in price due to its rarity and massive amount of information. On the other, in this economy not that many people will rush to shell out $250, or even $150, for a book no matter how good it is.

The copy for $250 is still out there. It may sit there for months at that price and then drop down if no one buys it. Or, it might be bought tomorrow and the next copy up for auction might be $350. Who knows??? You have to decide for yourself based on your financial situation and how much you want the book.

Good luck!

Mike

One would think the publisher would reprint if there was demand for them.

Thats what i was thinking.

This person makes an unbelievable and definitive reference book just to sell this small amount of copies for a small price.

If anyone truly deserves the 2012 random act of kindness award,its him.

I completely agree with Shaven Kev. If there is a demand, a second printing will follow. I am sure the primary driving force behind this book was a passion for the magazines, the art and the history. However, money is always an issue and motivating force.

If the author has such a respect and love for Warren Publications, why wouldn't he want everyone to share and enjoy his book. As far as $250.00 to $300.00 a copy, your probably a fool if you buy this book as an investment. This book has no true potential (original art, etc.) to appreciate other than collectors demand.

Its a double edged sword. Who would want to buy this book and preserve it? One would think (as evidenced by the people who own the book) that collectors would want to read and reference the book over and over. Just as collectors read and consult the "Warren Companion" on a regular basis. So if the book is continually used, its condition is compromised and its value diminished.

I personally hope there is a second print because I was unable to get a copy during the first printing. If this book is anything like the Warren Companion, I would think the value is between $50.00 to $100.00 all day long, in any condition.