• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazon.com

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone buy slabbed books from Amazon?

I have never bought anything from their website, so I do not know the pros and cons to using them.

Just seen some books at fair prices, wondered about security of the purchase from their site.

Feel free to get out the pitchforks on me if this topic has been brought up in the past.......I just hate the search function and now don't even bother looking.

Never bought a slab on Amazon but I've bought books, DVDs and even a Marvel statue there and never had a problem.

I've actually been amazed at how quickly I've received the stuff I've bought there.

If you're talking about stuff like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0032MXZK0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Amazon doesn't actually "sell" that product. They merely act as the middle man and forwards the order on to the seller, in this case Phoenix Comics or 9,8CGC, and the seller handles all the shipping, etc.

Only stuff listed as sold by Amazon is physically handled by Amazon. Purchasing this way vs directly from the seller just provides a pseudo-guarantee that you'll receive the product, etc. That's about it.

It's essentially the same as buying from Ebay. Amazon is just the storefront.

The reason I stopped collecting sports cards is because of scammers on Amazon. I bought a Michael Jordan rookie card that I found out was a fake after I sent it in to PSA to be graded. Amazon stepped up with their A to Z guarantee, and refunded my purchase amount as I tried to contact the seller with no reply. I shop at Amazon all the time, prime is totally worth it (thumbs u

As for this AF15, IF there were no pics of the comic outside of the CGC case, I would call Amazon and double check that the $3,000 would still be covered under their A to Z guarantee. If so, (again assuming it was still in it's case), I would roll the dice and buy it, that's how confident I am of Amazon :cloud9:

Jerome

if you mean this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005NIV8XM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The fact that the account was JUST created, has zero feedback, and has only this single item listed for sale, I would say yes it's most likely a scam.

The scam is probably something like this: They get your 3k, you get nothing, Amazon refunds your $3k to you and is out the 3k they wont get back from the seller because everything in his seller info is forged or fake.

if you mean this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005NIV8XM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The fact that the account was JUST created, has zero feedback, and has only this single item listed for sale, I would say yes it's most likely a scam.

The scam is probably something like this: They get your 3k, you get nothing, Amazon refunds your $3k to you and is out the 3k they wont get back from the seller because everything in his seller info is forged or fake.

I posted my last comment before I read yours.

You are probably right. I was checking the cert number and the fact that the book has never been sold through a venue that is followed by GPA.

My next step was to get out an Overstreet and see the value in 5.0 raw, hoping maybe the seller was un informed of the value of the book.

But since you pointed out the new seller and no feedback, your scenario is probably right.

You realize by purchasing this item, you are in all likelihood just handing $3k to a criminal? Sure you'll likely get your money back, but you'll also be encouraging this person to pull a scam like this again who will end up stealing more and more money from Amazon.. As well as end up with nothing to show for your time, etc.

Just food for thought.

edit: lol oops.. I also posted before I saw your last comment. :)

If you buy books from Amazon directly, they take care of you with cases where it comes damaged, and even pay for the return shipping. They're great in that way.

As with any other "classified ad" type environment, be it Craig's List, eBay, or anywhere else, "let the buyer beware" since the forum itself isn't designed to identify fraud and scam artists. I heard this is even more prevalent with DVD's and CD's where people sell copies and bootlegs instead of originals. The adage of "if it's too good to be true, it is probably too good to be true" probably applies to collectibles available at bargain prices when offered online.