• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is this?

12 posts in this topic

This is an early 90's book. Probably not copper age, but certainly not a modern comic. These things get lost in the modern section. Anyhow, me and a few other board members have been scouring the planet for any bit of knowledge on what this could be. I know, it's xmen 302. But, why and when was this variant made? Theories are many, but no concrete evidence has been found, yet. If anyone knows anything about this, please share.

4e2db12a.jpg

I've done an extensive search, and I can find no toy packaged with this book. Foreign toy? Maybe, but then why wouldn't the book be in the language of the country that released the toy? If its a printing error, nobody has stepped up with proof of this. Could marvel be contacted, and would they even know? There are I believe 4-5 copies known thus far.

CGC IT!!

Ok? Not the most helpful addition, but people who spam "CGC it!" should face a military tribunal. With all of the knowledge brought to these boards about comics, I just can't believe nobody knows this books story?

It's most likely that it came packaged with a toy or was a giveaway of some sort somewhere. Not having a UPC pretty much means it wasn't sold on the newsstand circuit so it had to come through either a comic shop or a secondary market that would have had it packaged with something else. I recently found an Iron Man very similar to this (but in much worse shape).

Ok? Not the most helpful addition, but people who spam "CGC it!" should face a military tribunal. With all of the knowledge brought to these boards about comics, I just can't believe nobody knows this books story?

Although its fun to say "CGC IT",

I literally mean ask CGC. They must deal with weird and random variants all the time, and must have some process of vetting them to get some idea of their history and making sure people don't write their own batman books and pass them off as DC. this one is called the 'Logo Variant' on slabs.

And I assume that if they don't know, they can put you in touch with someone, they must have a million zillion connections in the industry by now.

Nothing from CGC. Useful as a foam hammer. If metarog doesn't know what it is.. (he and beachbum do not know), then there are not many people who can answer the question. We need to find the guy that printed them. :)

thanks for the link, sadly still not conclusive in my opinion

Yep. They know what I know. Nothing. That's basically the link I was looking for but couldn't find. I suppose with so many people looking for the answer, we'll find out soon enough.

Any chance it came out about the same time (and method) as the ASM 301 with a similar numbering box?

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/LiveData/Issue.aspx?id=6909545c-782d-4ed6-8485-78e5c90334d1

These 301 are from 2000, included with Spider-man Classics poseable figures

Was there something similar/after related to X-Men?.

EDIT: I just read the other discussion about the book and they also thought it was somehow related to ASM 301 --- so I guess that theory hasn't gone anywhere. :sorry: