• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Never heard of him...

17 posts in this topic

I just learned on these boards about Thony Silas, and I ordered 2 commissions yesterday. Last week I learned about an artist who is very accomplished and popular but I had never heard of, Donato Giancola (when the Star Wars art on his site says "collection of George Lucas" you know the guy is good. But I had never heard of him.) So yeah, these new guys can be great funand really keep me energized in the hobby. Fiona Staples of SAGA seems groovy, and never heard of Matteo Scalera until this morning but I like the stuff on CAF he just did at SDCC and Heroes.

I have a file I list convention sketch possibilities on, and I like to tag a few names at the top that I am newly acquianted with and want to keep an eye out for. Right now that list has Nick Pitarra, Dustin Weaver, and Nate Simpson.

And Ulises Farinas was a major find for me last year or so. I got 2 commissions from him so far and absolutely loooove them. He likes them too, as my Dr Strange commission is the background for his twitter account.

Those are a few on my mind right now! I will keep Ben Oliver on my radar screen for now as well. Thanks!

Giancola is a great fantasy type artist, his style suits the genre so well

i found Ben Oliver completely by chance, i glanced a cover he did and mistook it for another artist

2399559-ac0.jpg

initially i though Lee Bermejo

I just learned on these boards about Thony Silas, and I ordered 2 commissions yesterday.

I hope I got my order in before yours. lol

Me too. I like my commission better after the artist warms up and gets the mistakes out of their system!

(tsk)

I just learned on these boards about Thony Silas, and I ordered 2 commissions yesterday.

Well, mine are done and the scans show true beauty. I could not be happier with the result. I hope yours is even better! What did you get?

It took a while, but I posted them on my blog so now I can add them here. Check it out now! tippy tae on the sippy sie! (sorry about that. I have been channeling pootie tang tonight. must be the belt.)

ThonyDrSTRANGEcommission+c%C3%B3pia.jpg

and

ThonyASGARDIANSTORMcommission+c%25C3%25B3pia+%25281%2529.jpg

okay, sine your pitty on the runny kine!

Well, mine are done and the scans show true beauty. I could not be happier with the result. I hope yours is even better! What did you get?

I got my scans yesterday, but I'm almost scared to show them, as they'll have everyone beating down his door and I'm trying to set up a couple more commissions with him at the moment. lol

I got two double character pieces--a Goon & Franky piece and a Maxx & Julie Winters piece. I thought they turned out awesome, as yours certainly did as well! :applause:

The last guy I discovered was Kim Jung Gi.

Look for him in Facebook, his art is breathtaking, so damn good that it's unreal.

https://www.facebook.com/superani.jg

Here, samples of his 2011 sketchbook:

http://superani.com/new_book.htm

or here:

Yikes, he is scary good. Nice find! Did you get anything from him? If so, how was communication?