• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Touring Ohio

58 posts in this topic

Bronzed JBone, do you like authentic Japanese food?

I think I do, but not sure if I've ever had it. I do like Sushi, there's a local place that gets toro, and by the price and experience I believe it's the real. Liked wagamama or whatever it's called in Boston. Spill it, we'll go.

Mrs Sensei and I find it's hard to find authentic Japanese restaurants as many "Japanese" restaurants are owned by Koreans. (One of our favorite restaurants is a Japanese/Korean restaurant operated by Koreans. The Korean food there is off the charts. The Japanese food is okay, but the taste is a bit off.

Near Dayton there is a place called Akashi. It's located at 2020 Harshman Road, Dayton, OH 45424. It's very near the Air Force Museum. They have a full sushi bar and a full menu.

In Columbus there is a place called Tensuke Market, 1167 Old Henderson Rd, Columbus, OH 43220. It is a Japanese grocery store and is worth a stop in for its bento. In Japan, you can go in any grocery store or convenience store and pick up a ready made boxed lunch. Tensuke makes them up on the premises and puts them out in the refrigerated section just inside the main doors. It's Japanese style fast food, and they are addicting. There is a "Japanese" diner attached to the back of the store, but it isn't authentic. There is in the same shopping complex a Japanese bookstore/gift shop, a Japanese bakery, and full fledged Japanese restaurant. All are worth checking out.

Montgomery Inn is awesome

Comic Book World (15 min south of Cinci) has the best silver and gold selection in the area.

Up Up and Away Comics (west side) was nominated for a Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award

Donato's pizza. Nothing to go out of your way for. Schmidt's is worth it for the chocolate creampuff alone.

Well, we'll agree to disagree about Donatos. Lots of good pizza in Columbus, tho. Try Rotolos, Panzaras, Tommys or Taritas. Schmidt's is a Columbus institution that's been in German Village for many years.

Bookery Fantasy in Dayton (Fairborn, actually) is a no-brainer. Make sure you end up in the right store for back issues-- there's actually three buildings: new stuff, old stuff, and discount/gaming.

If you like Donato's, try Massey's in Westerville. Same style, only way better.

Skyline chili tastes like dirt & rice. Tried it once, & never again.

+1

Montgomery Inn is awesome

Comic Book World (15 min south of Cinci) has the best silver and gold selection in the area.

Up Up and Away Comics (west side) was nominated for a Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award

Good call on Comic Book World. I always forget to consider Kentucky part of that area, although Cincinnati may as well be part of Kentucky.

What kind of food do you like? Montgomery Inn is the famous "tourists must go to" place in Cincy and same with Schmidt's in Columbus. They both are good, but there is a lot of hype.

(worship)

:banana: It's an official thread now.

Love all kinds of food. Probably no Italian as that's all over here. No good Cuban since I left Fl. Would love to find BBQ. Would want something not readily available elsewhere. Saw on urban spoon Schmidts & Thurmans, will probably go to Schmidts.

If you want BBQ in Cincy, you should go to Montgomery Inn. Don't let anyone talk you into anything else. Get the full rack of ribs. Have a couple of their propriety Killian's Red-style beers and get stuffed.

It is not authentic "BBQ" like I think of in Texas or Memphis, but they frickin' know how to make ribs.

You might want to make reservations, though, especially if the Reds are in town.

Donato's pizza. Nothing to go out of your way for. Schmidt's is worth it for the chocolate creampuff alone.

Well, we'll agree to disagree about Donatos. Lots of good pizza in Columbus, tho. Try Rotolos, Panzaras, Tommys or Taritas. Schmidt's is a Columbus institution that's been in German Village for many years.

Bookery Fantasy in Dayton (Fairborn, actually) is a no-brainer. Make sure you end up in the right store for back issues-- there's actually three buildings: new stuff, old stuff, and discount/gaming.

If you like Donato's, try Massey's in Westerville. Same style, only way better.

Skyline chili tastes like dirt & rice. Tried it once, & never again.

+1

Ya gotta give it more than one shot to develop a taste for it. One of my daughters hated it the first time and now wants to eat there every day. The chocolate/cinnamon combo is not something most palettes are familiar with.

I think I do, but not sure if I've ever had it. I do like Sushi, there's a local place that gets toro, and by the price and experience I believe it's the real. Liked wagamama or whatever it's called in Boston. Spill it, we'll go.

Mrs Sensei and I find it's hard to find authentic Japanese restaurants as many "Japanese" restaurants are owned by Koreans. (One of our favorite restaurants is a Japanese/Korean restaurant operated by Koreans. The Korean food there is off the charts. The Japanese food is okay, but the taste is a bit off.

Near Dayton there is a place called Akashi. It's located at 2020 Harshman Road, Dayton, OH 45424. It's very near the Air Force Museum. They have a full sushi bar and a full menu.

In Columbus there is a place called Tensuke Market, 1167 Old Henderson Rd, Columbus, OH 43220. It is a Japanese grocery store and is worth a stop in for its bento. In Japan, you can go in any grocery store or convenience store and pick up a ready made boxed lunch. Tensuke makes them up on the premises and puts them out in the refrigerated section just inside the main doors. It's Japanese style fast food, and they are addicting. There is a "Japanese" diner attached to the back of the store, but it isn't authentic. There is in the same shopping complex a Japanese bookstore/gift shop, a Japanese bakery, and full fledged Japanese restaurant. All are worth checking out.

Northern Kentucky has two excellent Japanese restaurants. Toyota has a big facility near the airport and lots of Japanese business people are in the area. Matsuya is located off Dixie Highway in Florence and is run by Panasonic Matsuya. Very, very good sushi and lots of things Japanese business men love but Americans hate.

Jo Ann Japanese is located right near the airport off 275. Caters heavily to the Toyota folks and is wonderful but a bit more expensive.

Heading to Cincy & Columbus in a month.

Any stores to go to? Any not to go to?

Restaurants? There was a skyline chili in Florida I went to decades ago, wasn't impressed.

Looking to catch a Reds game, how hard are tickets to get?

What kind of food do you like? Montgomery Inn is the famous "tourists must go to" place in Cincy and same with Schmidt's in Columbus. They both are good, but there is a lot of hype.

fingh, what's the name of the pizza chain in Dayton that cuts round pizza's into square pieces? That might be worth a luch or dinner if they have stores in Cincy or Columbus.

Marion's. The super cheese is a must have, at least once. I have them make it "well done" so the extra xheese gets browned up. :cloud9:

Hey Fingh, do they still have casano's(i think it was that) pizza there? They used to cut them into little square pieces also. My Dad would get that like literally 4 times a week when we were kids. Just cheese on 1 side for my mom and brother, double anchovies on other side for my Dad and me. I would KILL to have one of those down here!

Are they even still in business?

Oh yeah, Cassano's is still going strong.

Man I lived that place as a kid! My dad is too old for pizza now so I haven't had it the last couple times I've been there. I don't think Ive had it since the late 80's but damn that was the best pizza I've ever had! :cloud9:

Northern Kentucky has two excellent Japanese restaurants. Toyota has a big facility near the airport and lots of Japanese business people are in the area. Matsuya is located off Dixie Highway in Florence and is run by Panasonic Matsuya. Very, very good sushi and lots of things Japanese business men love but Americans hate.

Jo Ann Japanese is located right near the airport off 275. Caters heavily to the Toyota folks and is wonderful but a bit more expensive.

Like the poison fish sushi, or live squid tentacles? A friend of mine went to China town here in Philly and got the tentacles. Said one stuck to the side of his son's mouth. I would try that, not sure if the wife would.

There is a bunch of stuff that they do in Japan that I would have a hard time with like turtle sushi, some of the yakitori is super gross, and I don't think I would do fugu.

Huh? Waga-what? I’m from Boston. I like sushi. I don’t recall ever seeing that anywhere.

There is a bunch of stuff that they do in Japan that I would have a hard time with like turtle sushi, some of the yakitori is super gross, and I don't think I would do fugu.

Most challenging thing I ever tried was the uni. I have a Japanese friend who thinks its great. Tasted like a mouthful of low tide to me.

Bookery is definitely the place to go in Ohio. When I was there 8 years ago, there was virtually nothing in Columbus. You may be able to find something in Cincy, but don't miss Bookery.

I hadn't been in Bookery for over a decade but stopped in this past weekend. Really wasn't much to look at in regards to older comics at all actually. I remembered back in the day way more stock to look through for SA/Bronze and even modern stuff but there wasn't much at all. Also didn't see any CGCed stuff either anywhere which I was surprised at.

Bookery is definitely the place to go in Ohio. When I was there 8 years ago, there was virtually nothing in Columbus. You may be able to find something in Cincy, but don't miss Bookery.

I hadn't been in Bookery for over a decade but stopped in this past weekend. Really wasn't much to look at in regards to older comics at all actually. I remembered back in the day way more stock to look through for SA/Bronze and even modern stuff but there wasn't much at all. Also didn't see any CGCed stuff either anywhere which I was surprised at.

You obviously didn't go into the other room. The room you walk into is 90's and up. The room to the right as you walk in with the movie posters and lobby cards is stuffed to the gills with 60 long boxes of 40s through 70's. doh!

You obviously didn't go into the other room. The room you walk into is 90's and up. The room to the right as you walk in with the movie posters and lobby cards is stuffed to the gills with 60 long boxes of 40s through 70's. doh!

Sean I went into that room, a ton of those boxes were flipped over and looked to be empty. I went through some of the older stuff but not much there in that area. Was looking especially at some of the old crime and horror books. I did see a few things but not a ton like a remembered.

Seemed to be like Mavericks or even Bell Book had more overall inventory of back issues vs. Bookery. Not as much GA/SA stuff but way more modern stuff.