• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIME MACHINE! Sealed boxes from the distributor. Will I find a 9.9?
1 1

165 posts in this topic

This thread and Matt and Kenny's before and after thread. Also the antique/ flea market finds oh and the full restoration thread and don't forget this week back from cgc and the sales thread.... Hang on a minute this entire forum is AWESOME.

You are 100% correct! I'm thrilled to have found this forum dedicated to my passion and inhabited by so many nice and knowledgeable people! an_clap.gif

I'd like to thank everyone for rooting for me! I wanted to wait to update the thread, but I'm honestly pretty excited about two additional books that I shipped off earlier this week...excited enough that I think it's worth mentioning as I wait for results. They were simply fantastic looking specimens. I thought the last five books I submitted looked great, but the two I sent off this week outclassed them!

I was skeptical at first, but I'm far more optimistic at this point.

Are the comics in question perfect? No. Are they that much better than the typical 9.8?

I'd estimate they are better than 3/4s of the 9.8s I've seen.

I guess we'll see in about a month, hopefully. CGC modern track was good to me the last time I used it...and then you have to add the time they are spending at Classics Inc.

The only thing that has me nervous about one of the books is that the staples are ever so slightly not in perfect alignment. They are tight and clean though.

I've been examining all the 9.9 slabs currently in my collection and I was glad to see similar staple "misalignment" in at least one or two of them.

I think it's going to be a close call, but I think I have a sweet shot at a minty fresh slab...MAYBE more? :wishluck:

I found a neat little blue LED light that does a great job of illuminating corners. It's handy because I can move it around the comic with ease. Just another tool in the box. I'm a believer in using a bunch of different types of light at varying intensity.

I stack three or four books at a time and do a direct comparison of the corner and spine. I narrow down from there. Make smaller and smaller stacks.

That's my basic methodology, in addition to things I've previously mentioned in earlier posts.

I'm sad to report that I can't offer any shots of comics or slabs, but here is a picture of one of the many lights I used. The blue tint to this light, and the LED intensity, makes it really easy to spot flaws. I love this thing!

led.jpg

This will be the last post until I have a slab in my possession. Since they are to be submitted through the pressing company, I will not have access to the scores via the CGC website. I will have to wait for them to arrive boxed.

:taptaptap:Agonizing? Perhaps. But it just adds to the excitement. I've received scores both ways and I actually prefer to wait for the actual comic to arrive instead of grabbing the score online.

You guys will be the first to know! Maybe I'll have my GF videotape the opening...that way you can share the joy...or simply laugh your #%& off at me as I roll around the carpet...writhing in misery!

Misery over 9.8s??? What kind of disease has overtaken me??

Edited by newshane

There were two major distributors of comics in North America during the early 90s if I recall correctly. One was Diamond, the other was a company based out of Montreal, Canada. My boxes were from Canada. Maybe the Diamond boxes fared better?

The company in Montreal is called Universal Distribution, who are just a sub-distributor, as I believe they order their comics through Diamond as well.

My old store in Montreal used to order through Universal, and a buddy was regularly able to pull gradeable books off the stands, even though everything was quickly bagged and boarded before it went out. Then again, early issues of Ultimate Spider-Man with the stiff covers were all impacted on the outer edges (two bumpers as they came off the press?), and there wasn't a gradeable copy to be found in my area. I don't know how much handling played a part in your blown corners as much as how they looked coming off the line.

If you want to do some detective work, most comics and TPB's are printed by Quebecor in Montreal, but I don't know where they go from there. Presumably, they're packed directly into Diamond boxes and shipped out to Diamond distribution centres.

No offense intended, but it looks more like a sorta scientific experiment on flaws' incidence over periodicals' manufacturing processes rather than a comics-related discussion.

If it’s meant as the second, I am just missing the point of it, but I fear I would also if it was meant as the first.

On a side note, I think in some way modern books are more delicate than some golden age material, they are annoying to handle/read. :)

There were two major distributors of comics in North America during the early 90s if I recall correctly. One was Diamond, the other was a company based out of Montreal, Canada. My boxes were from Canada. Maybe the Diamond boxes fared better?

The company in Montreal is called Universal Distribution, who are just a sub-distributor, as I believe they order their comics through Diamond as well.

My old store in Montreal used to order through Universal, and a buddy was regularly able to pull gradeable books off the stands, even though everything was quickly bagged and boarded before it went out. Then again, early issues of Ultimate Spider-Man with the stiff covers were all impacted on the outer edges (two bumpers as they came off the press?), and there wasn't a gradeable copy to be found in my area. I don't know how much handling played a part in your blown corners as much as how they looked coming off the line.

If you want to do some detective work, most comics and TPB's are printed by Quebecor in Montreal, but I don't know where they go from there. Presumably, they're packed directly into Diamond boxes and shipped out to Diamond distribution centres.

THANK YOU for that awesome piece of information! This is precisely the sort of information I was hoping to acquire here. Throughout the entire process, I couldn't help but wonder if this was the way most books were shipped during that era. I find myself very curious in regards to the entire production/shipping process. In fact, I'd like to visit a comic book press/factory sometime. If anyone can arrange this, I promise to write a killer article! :)

I used to work in the newspaper industry, but the press/handling process for that sort of print is far different, I would imagine. I remember visiting the newspaper press often back in my days as a journalist. It was an old-school "web" design. Wonder what the comic industry is using these days?

No offense intended, but it looks more like a sorta scientific experiment on flaws' incidence over periodicals' manufacturing processes rather than a comics-related discussion.

If it’s meant as the second, I am just missing the point of it, but I fear I would also if it was meant as the first.

On a side note, I think in some way modern books are more delicate than some golden age material, they are annoying to handle/read. :)

No offense taken! This thread does involve the periodicals' manufacturing process, which clearly impacts the condition of the books we purchase through distributors, mail order, or the local comic book shop. The truth is that our books are handled many times before we even first set eyes upon them. Since most of us are clearly concerned about the condition of our comics (that's why most of us visit this forum, I'd imagine) , then I believe the manufacturing/shipping/handling processes are immediately relevant to our concerns.

This will be the last post until I have a slab in my possession. Since they are to be submitted through the pressing company, I will not have access to the scores via the CGC website. I will have to wait for them to arrive boxed.

If you can get an invoice number from your middle man you'll be able to call to get grades probably 2-3 weeks before the box arrives. For those of us on the edge of our seat waiting to hear results that would be awfully nice.

All seven books left Classic Incorporated on September 17.

Arrived at CGC September 19.

Modern Fast Track.

I expect to hear something by the end of this week!

Edited by newshane

I'd like to thank everyone for following this thread and providing support. Unfortunately, I did not obtain a 9.9 from my first set of submissions.

:(

The results were a mix of 9.8s and 9.6s.

I'm shocked at the two 9.6 grades I received because they both passed the pre-screens over at Classics Incorporated. I'm looking forward to seeing the graders' notes. Perhaps they were somehow damaged in transit?

I am satisfied with the 9.8s because they will fill gaps in my registry.

This entire process has given me a new respect for 9.9s. I'm not sure if I will ever manage to submit one from my own collection.

I think I will stick to obtaining 9.9s which have already been slabbed.

:)

Thanks again! I'm just bummed that I couldn't deliver better news.

Once again, if you know anyone with Spawn 9.9s for sale...please send them in my direction. They won't be sorry. I even offer a finder's fee for people who help set me up with the right deals.

Just PM me anytime. :D

I also have a TON of raws I need to get rid of... if anyone wants them! lol

I also have Spawn 16 in CGC 9.8 if any of ya need that one.

Edited by newshane

So sorry you did not get any 9.9’s newshane, your dedication and thoroughness alone deserved one.

Thank you for letting us follow your efforts in this thread which has been very interesting and enjoyable. (thumbs u

Edited by meself

Hey man, sorry to hear you bad news, I was really hoping for you.

This has been a great thread and has opened a lot of peoples eyes as to how hard it is to get a 9.9 ( I only have 2 myself and both of those were bought as 9.9s )

I wish you all the luck in your quest for the elusive Spawn 9.9s in the future.