• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIME MACHINE! Sealed boxes from the distributor. Will I find a 9.9?
1 1

165 posts in this topic

Not to change the discussion here to grader notes, but it is worth noting...

I don't think you can really get them for 9.8s. I ordered some notes for a Wolvie Limited 1 that I got out of a distributors box...thought it was a 9.9 but it came back a 9.8.

No notes available and I never did get my money back. Just reminded me...I need to call about that. ;)

I am about to crack open a box of raw Spawn 12s. This particular issue is solid black along all edges... Any flaws should show up really nicely. I can also compare the nice raws I find with a graded 9.8 copy Spawn 12 that I already own! THEN...I can compare those against my mint slab of issue 4, which is also solid black along the edges. This should give me the best possible standard for making final decisions regarding the books that make it and the books that won't.

I think that would be more informative than anything else I've done.

Could be a fingerprint, dimple...anything really. I'm not very experienced at grading "trick" covers, but I know the heavier paper stock used by the manufacturers are a lot less susceptible to corner damage or rubbing. The corners of your book look perfect to me, but like I said earlier...there is a lot more to a book than the corners alone.

Your feelings about that book are similar to my feelings about my Cable 1...which came back as a 9.8. After staring at it at many angles for what seemed like hours, I finally found the flaw. It was the tiniest little edge "push" that I've ever seen! The corners on that book are textbook perfect.

Grading IS subjective, as everyone likes to point out.

I think comparing the 9.8 slab with the 9.9 slab...and throwing the raw candidates in between for a good eyeballing...I think that's going to help me a lot. It also helps that I'm fortunate enough to own dozens of 9.9 slabs already...but on the downside none of them have been self-submissions. :(

Edited by newshane

Plus you've got sheer numbers on your side, when I bought this book, god, almost 9 years ago. It was the nicest in the CS. And I did just get it graded last month, so who knows what minute dimple it could have received in the 8 plus years. Also I didn't want to open it too wide to inspect so I may have missed something inside.

UPDATE:

Today I cracked open box number three. I was very disappointed for a few reasons. First, the books had shifted considerably. Check out this shot!

Crappacking.jpg

The second reason I was disappointed can be clearly seen in the following pictures. RUSTY STAPLES! The tape used by the factory to seal the box was quite poor and had apparently separated from the box. As a result, air and moisture started to creep in. The results are quite evident. BAD BAD BAD news! Not happy with this batch at all. Not all of the comics had rusty staples. That's the funny thing. Some of them were perfectly clean! Nonetheless, it's a good thing I have four boxes left.

Rustystaple2.jpgRustystaple3.jpg

Speaking of staples, I found some problems with the stapes in the second box. Here we have a stack of Spawn #21, which has a relatively low print run for early era Spawn comics and the registry even gives this issue a significant bump in points because of it. It's a white cover, so the spine rub issue isn't as noticeable. I'm not sure what caused the staples to look so ragged. Was it a production issue? Did the shifting, settling, and weight of the books somehow lead to this defect? Check out what's going on in the red circles. Also, notice that I've drawn an arrow to another interesting defect. A dirty, gluey type of material. I practiced scrapping it off with a straightened out paper clip and I was able to remove approximately 50% of it during an experiment with a rougher copy. Rustystaple1.jpg

Going back to today's find - the Spawn issue 12 books. I've posted more pics of defects. Look at the bulge around the staples on some of the books. Would this press out? Now look at the wave at the edge of the comic. Finally, look inside the red box on the bottom picture. Can you see what I describe as a "band of dirt" running along the side? Grrr...Spawn 12 is a rough issue because it is solid black. I think I might have pulled one or two 9.8s from this whole rotten box, which appeared to be in perfect shape from the outside, by the way!

Bulgingstaple.jpgWave.jpgDirtyband.jpg

I decided to take the best raw copy of Spawn 12. I then put it side by side against a 9.8 slab of Spawn issue 12. On the very bottom of this stack is the 9.9 slab of Spawn issue 4, which also features a black spine and edges. I'm sorry the pics aren't more detailed, but it was the best I could do with the limited lighting and equipment at my disposal. Can you guys spot the differences between the 9.8 and the 9.9? Now compare those books with my raw copy. I'd say my raw copy is somewhere in-between the quality of the two slabs. Is it good enough for a 9.9? I seriously doubt it. :(

The top pic is the top left hand corner of all three books. The bottom is a pic of the bottom left hand corner.

Untitled222.jpgUntitled11.jpg

Edited by newshane

Looking at some of the spine wear displayed on your slabbed books makes me wonder what was going on when they were graded. It might just be the slab, but that 9.8 almost looks like it might be split in the bottom corner. Your raw one looks a little rougher than either sadly :( That black cover really highlights any wear. This is one heck of an experiment and I know I'm enjoying the way you're documenting the process!

...when is your first sub due back?

Good luck (thumbs u

So far, I have pulled a total of 10 books for submission. I have one box left, so that number may grow.

I sent off 5 books this morning. This first small batch - the best 5 representations I could find of a specific issue - shall be pressed before submission to the CGC.

I think only one book has an honest chance at a 9.9.

I'm following the board's advice. Hopefully my worst book will somehow grade out at a 9.8. If that happens, they will have no choice but to give the other book a 9.9 - it's that far ahead of the other ones. It's important to note that I have NOT posted pics of this particular specimen.

Of course there is a chance that they will nail the spine rub damage. But based on what I've heard in this thread, I might get a small pass since the distributors of the era were relatively brutal in regards to packaging (as you can see in my photographs).

My experiment will certainly establish how the CGC, on a particular day at least, grades spine-rub damage from Modern Era books. The books I'm sending in are flawless - except for the spine-rub. So if my grade gets banged up badly, it's likely due to the spine-rub. I'll be seeking graders' notes in any case...hopefully they will be available this time.

I should be able to provide grades by the first week of September, if Modern Fast Track can get back to me in 10 business days (I've had GREAT luck with Modern Fast Track so this is a possibility. I didn't want to go Modern...and keep everyone waiting for the next 3 months, lol).

Either way, I'll have at least a FEW things for sale soon if anyone is interested. haha!

I just want ONE 9.9 out of this...to give the whole story a happy ending.

I'm pretty pessimistic though. I have to be honest!

You guys will be the next to know...right after me!

If I find anything amazing from the final box, I will provide another update.

PS - I didn't find ANY keepers from the issue 12 box (the all-black issue). Maybe a handful of 9.8s...but I've already got that issue slabbed.