• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIME MACHINE! Sealed boxes from the distributor. Will I find a 9.9?
1 1

165 posts in this topic

How could there be no notes? Its like they're waving their hand over the books and shouting out the first number that 'feels' right.

That's pretty much what I'm going to say on the phone tomorrow.

GAH!

I used other lights to examine the books inside of the slabs and I did see flaws.

Sick to say that I'm satisfied with the grade now?

lol

I'm still disappointed that there are no notes available for this 9.6.

I think the graders notes are pretty much worthless to be honest.

I guess they don't have time to take many notes these days.

Edited by newshane

Not sure if you mentioned this, but did you press the books prior to submitting them?

I did have them pressed. Classics Incorporated did the work. The 9.6s also passed their 9.8 pre-screen.

What were the flaws you see... Thumb prints perchance

There should be no prints because I handled them with gloves. I assume that Classics Incorporated and CGC also examined them with gloves.

The flaws are on the back cover around the staple area. There is a tiny, tiny nick that can only be seen under intense light. I will attempt to get pictures.

I am still waiting on the other books I submitted. I will provide updates as soon as they are available.

I take back the flawless remark.

The stapes are slightly out of alignment.

Other than that I'm clueless.

You're maybe giving CGC a bit too much credit. They do a great job but they're not infallible.

I know people who have sent in a large number of NM/M books with a 9.8 pre-screen, got back a load of rejects and then re-submitted those same rejects and got 9.8's 2nd time around.

I take back the flawless remark.

The stapes are slightly out of alignment.

Other than that I'm clueless.

You're maybe giving CGC a bit too much credit. They do a great job but they're not infallible.

I know people who have sent in a large number of NM/M books with a 9.8 pre-screen, got back a load of rejects and then re-submitted those same rejects and got 9.8's 2nd time around.

it's a shame these books just weren't as perfect as the 9.8's, so in a perfect world these should be 9.8 and the others 9.9. There may not be an advantage to sending in so many copy's of the same title. Edited by Hado

You guys are scaring me

Thumb prints ?

Gloves...that's crazy,period.

Per the raws

How many and how much ?

I move a lot of 1-3.00 books out of the store and always looking for deals. Spawn...not so much,but I have never been one to bat an eye at a good deal..granted I do not want....100 or more copies of the same issue :) Nothing screams worthless to my buyers (Small town America,we do not even mess with new books and tell people to buy from mid-town) than too many copies of a book visible ;)

Side note,terribly sorry you did not get your 9.8

After reading your thread, your efforts and your level of expertise and the enlistment of other experts, I will refrain from guessing a grade in the future in order to not do any one an injustice

You guys are scaring me

Thumb prints ?

Gloves...that's crazy,period.

Per the raws

How many and how much ?

I move a lot of 1-3.00 books out of the store and always looking for deals. Spawn...not so much,but I have never been one to bat an eye at a good deal..granted I do not want....100 or more copies of the same issue :) Nothing screams worthless to my buyers (Small town America,we do not even mess with new books and tell people to buy from mid-town) than too many copies of a book visible ;)

Side note,terribly sorry you did not get your 9.8

After reading your thread, your efforts and your level of expertise and the enlistment of other experts, I will refrain from guessing a grade in the future in order to not do any one an injustice

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. Please send me a PM and we will try to make a deal.

Okay folks, here is a picture of one of the slabs that came back as a 9.6.

Finalflaws.jpg

I had to take dozens of pictures before I happened across one that adequately illustrated the tiny indention in the vicinity of a staple which seems to be bent and bulges a little from the edge of the book.

You will also notice a small smear of some sort. It actually appears to be a spot that didn't get adequate ink for some reason. This is definitely a production flaw of some sort, although I'm not sure about a technical name for it.

The indention is very, very small and is only visible when holding the book at certain angles under very intense light...that's what made getting a good shot of it so difficult.

The white spots you see here and there are dust or lint particles on the slab.

The spine rub looks worse under this sort of magnification than it really is. I don't think the CGC gave it much concern at all. The spine is just as clean through the slabs as any of my 9.8s and approaches the quality of some of my 9.9s.

Keep in mind that I took everyone's advice. I purposefully submitted a few copies that were supposed to provide a baseline of a 9.8. This strategy apparently didn't work. It seems that I was off by two tenths of a point!

I anxiously await the arrival of the additional slabs. I will once again attempt to get graders notes and will re-examine the books through the slabs. I will let you all know if I spot anything interesting...or anything at all! Can't wait to look for the flaws I missed on the 9.8s!

Sorry that the picture appears to be rotated in the wrong direction. I guess the board doesn't like pictures that are wider than they are long.

OH and I meant for the picture to say INDENTATION not INDENTION!

That's what I get for staying up all night writing papers for grad school!

lol

I should also add that the book is perfect except for the flaws in the picture above...as far as I can tell.

The corners are all razor sharp.

I would have given anything to have sat in on the grading process for these books. It would have been a fantastic learning experience!

That "smear" you mention looks like an abrasion to me. I suspect that CGC saw it that way and the 9.6 was their call due to that.

I have not collected many modern slabs, or had any graded. But I think CGC grades all books past about 1980 differently.

I saw the same thing in grading by dealers in the 70's, but it only seemed to matter on old books. I bought a "MINT" ASM 1 from Robert Crestohl in 1976. He sent a book that was no better than VGF, by the standards back then, Overstreet. I returned the book, he had pricing for five grades, yet sent me a 2nd level grade book for the 5th level price. Bob Crestohl was a crook.

I do wish CC would grade all books the same. If that box of NOS books you have are all(say 75%) 9.8's by normal standards, then they should all(75%) get that grade. As you seem to indicate, the modern books get down graded for trivial defects, same defects which would be ignored on SA or GA books. The printing defects are ignored on older books, the same should apply to books of any age.

wow I don't understand the logic 1500 spawn????? and to consider grading even one??? to each his own and people can even collect porcelain penguins if they want but since you collect comics have you ever even taken a look at some of the pre code golden age stuff from any genre??? wow just can't even begin to comprehend modern drek being slabbed, its just like the coin hobby where people buy a brand new proof coin from the mint that is always almost perfect and then the pay good money to get it graded as almost perfect. just sayin !!!!!!!

This was 2 years back. Did any come back better than 9.8?
No. 7 copies passed a Classics Incorporated 9.8 prescreen and were submitted to CGC. 5 copies came back 9.8 and 2 received 9.6 status.

You should read this whole thread. It's really great.

This was 2 years back. Did any come back better than 9.8?
No. 7 copies passed a Classics Incorporated 9.8 prescreen and were submitted to CGC. 5 copies came back 9.8 and 2 received 9.6 status.

You should read this whole thread. It's really great.

7?

Out of 1500 copies?

Or do I need to read the whole thread...?